Steering Groaning

spiccolli

I have a very upgraded steering on my TJ. Maybe a little beefier than a Curry setup. I was getting a ton of groaning when turning, so got underneath and started shooting lithium grease on all the joints. Turned out to be the drag link to pitman arm connection. My drag link I think is an adjustable Metal Cloak - been great so far and good rep. As soon as I hit it with lube and turned a bit to work it in, the noise was gone. This has never happened since I upgraded a few years ago. My questions are if this is common? and is lithium grease the best thing to coat it with? Also, is it in need of adjustment because the steering is great once lubed up. Thanks!

Reactions: N757KF
I have a very upgraded steering on my TJ. Maybe a little beefier than a Curry setup. I was getting a ton of groaning when turning, so got underneath and started shooting lithium grease on all the joints. Turned out to be the drag link to pitman arm connection. My drag link I think is an adjustable Metal Cloak - been great so far and good rep. As soon as I hit it with lube and turned a bit to work it in, the noise was gone. This has never happened since I upgraded a few years ago. My questions are if this is common? and is lithium grease the best thing to coat it with? Also, is it in need of adjustment because the steering is great once lubed up. Thanks!

Isn't there a zirk fitting there?

Sorry. Photos.

20240401_220928.jpg

20240401_220457.jpg

20240401_220453.jpg

20240401_220441.jpg

It really isn't. How do I prove it? I have no bump steer at all and no death wobble to speak of. Just the groanling. Couple more pics attached. Thanks for any input. Really

20240401_232125.jpg

20240401_232041.jpg

20240401_231955.jpg

That is garbage steering.

If the rod end is worn out, then you need to replace it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apparition
Holy dropped pitman arm batman. When you're done lubing your heim joints get rid of that pitman arm

The pitman arm has a massive drop. But some weirdo may have corrected that by putting the rod end on the top of the arm. Who knows.

It really isn't. How do I prove it? I have no bump steer at all and no death wobble to speak of. Just the groanling. Couple more pics attached. Thanks for any input. Really

View attachment 514641

View attachment 514642

View attachment 514643

That is crossover steering, and an uglier one then we normally see. The drag link is out of phase with the track bar, which leads to steering input as the suspension cycles. The track bar and drag are moving in two different arcs. If the Jeep consistently pulls to one side when it hits a big dip on the highway, this is the bump steer. This is entirely different than death wobble.

You should find a TRE joint and get rid of the rod end. Then get a stock pitman arm. Rod Ends are only good on RC cars, and drag cars that never see streets...