Steering wheel trying to lock

Toph3r

I think my searchFU is not working for this issue. I recently removed my dash for a project and upon re-installing the steering wheel I screwed something up. I know for sure when I was attempting to attached it to the shaft the wheel got moved by my leg or hip. I should've taped it down better. I attempted to drive it today, but when moving the steering wheel from left to right I can feel something trying to catch and lock the steering wheel. My best guess is I screwed up the locking mechanism during re-install. I'm looking for suggestions on what I broke and what to look for. Any help is appreciated.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Did you remove the column from the vehicle? If so did the steering wheel get rotated? The clockspring for the airbag must be centered or it will be damaged and could cause the column to bind.

Yes, I removed the steering column and it did rotate a little during re-install. Found my root cause, me! I put the steering column connecting bolt in backwards. It has a recessed location for the bolt on the correct side so when you turn the wheel it doesn't hit everything around it. Had I taken notes during removal I would've been good.

Reactions: NskLJ