Stereo system upgrade

I already have a pretty decent set up in my Jeep.
What I am really interested in is more pics of this garage. I love the lay out.
What an awesome man cave/garage you have there.

Last edited:
I picked up a set of the pods prior to reading this conversation. I supposed I'm in a perfect situation to do some A/B testing...

On the subject of "venting" the pods however, I wonder if the movement of a tight, little 5.25" speaker is enough to be effected by a sealed enclosure like this... It's not moving as much as a big, floppy subwoofer. I may put a (resealable) hole in one for science.

Your speaker needs something around the back or it needs to be mounted in a solid wall like a dash or rear deck for an infinite baffle setup. The reason is, if your speaker is not enclosed or in a baffle, the sound waves coming off the back of the speaker will wrap around the front and they will cancel out some of the sound coming out of the front of the speaker. If you're curious, test your speaker in a pod, then test it just sitting flat on a table with nothing. The speaker that is just sitting in the open is not going to have any base.

I used something like this up front and it returned very nice sound.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_696B0...r-Baffles-Slim-line-2-11-16-depth.html?tp=660

Your speaker needs something around the back or it needs to be mounted in a solid wall like a dash or rear deck for an infinite baffle setup. The reason is, if your speaker is not enclosed or in a baffle, the sound waves coming off the back of the speaker will wrap around the front and they will cancel out some of the sound coming out of the front of the speaker. If you're curious, test your speaker in a pod, then test it just sitting flat on a table with nothing. The speaker that is just sitting in the open is not going to have any base.

I used something like this up front and it returned very nice sound.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_696B0...r-Baffles-Slim-line-2-11-16-depth.html?tp=660
Baseless speakers have no bass! I used these "boom mats" on mine as well, plus I added foam "speaker rings" to channel the sound through the grille. I didn't A/B the "boom mats", but the foam rings did make a difference - the front speakers were louder enough that I had to compensate with the balance control!

I can't promise this will happen soon, but I'm interested enough to do it... Here's the A/B configurations I can think of testing:

I'll be working with a new set of Polk db522, dash mounted, flipping back and forth using the right and left speaker pan knob.

1. L/F: installed in-dash bare, no pod, baffles or polyfil. R/F: Pod (Unported) w/ Poly Fil

2. L/F: Poly fil around the bare (dash installed) speaker. R/F: Pod (Unported) w/ Poly Fil

3. L/F: Ported Pod (in-dash), no polyfil. R/F: Pod (Unported) w/ Poly Fil

4. L/F: Ported Pod (in-dash), Polyfil installed. R/F: Pod (Unported) w/ Poly Fil

What size hole for the pod...1/2"? More than one 1/2" holes?

It's hardly scientific, but it's the best controlled scenario I can think of.

Reactions: Zorba
I can't promise this will happen soon, but I'm interested enough to do it... Here's the A/B configurations I can think of testing:

I'll be working with a new set of Polk db522, dash mounted, flipping back and forth using the right and left speaker pan knob.

1. L/F: installed in-dash bare, no pod, baffles or polyfil. R/F: Pod (Unported) w/ Poly Fil

2. L/F: Poly fil around the bare (dash installed) speaker. R/F: Pod (Unported) w/ Poly Fil

3. L/F: Ported Pod (in-dash), no polyfil. R/F: Pod (Unported) w/ Poly Fil

4. L/F: Ported Pod (in-dash), Polyfil installed. R/F: Pod (Unported) w/ Poly Fil

What size hole for the pod...1/2"? More than one 1/2" holes?

It's hardly scientific, but it's the best controlled scenario I can think of.
Sounds good. I just cut a random sized hole - somewhere around 3/4" in the back - speaker wires go through it. Not scientific at all.

Reactions: Thedogsbollocks
I would do component speakers in the front and coaxial ones in the rear. The front on a two door is where you will get the difference from the sound specially if you can get the tweeters aimed right. the overhead sound bar will benefit from coaxials(round I find better) and if you have space a nice smaller sub under the driver's seat. A lot of sound escapes the TJ, specially if you have a soft top.
Fill the sound bar will polyfill and add enough dynamat or alike to deaden vibrations and you will be golden.
Ya just some kickers but now thinking about component speakers all around and 10w's built into my seat.... Why did you go that way with your subs? Is it better?

This is my sound bar
IMG_20200825_182614337_MP.jpg

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
So a couple friends and I did stereo system upgrades recently (my buddy has the 95 Sahara in the background) I based the equipment on some suggestions on this board, budget, and desire to keep a factory look. I snapped some pics along the way, although not as many as I should have!

Here’s the list of what I installed:
Head Unit - Alpine CDE 172 BT Alpine Head Unit

Amp - Soundstream Picasso Nano amp

Front Speakers - Kicker 5 1/4“ CSC5 Front Speakers

Rear Soundbar Speakers -Kicker 5 1/4” CSC5 Rear soundbar speakers

Sub (retrofit into center console sub) - Kicker CompRT 6.75”Console subwoofer

Amp wire kit - TopstrongGear 8 Guage Amp wire kit

View attachment 233700

View attachment 233693

This a really cool picture. I dig those wheels on the YJ. I have been eyeballing those the last couple of years for my white '98 with Tan Hardtop Sport. What size are those tires?

Reactions: LJ in Omaha