Stereo system upgrade

If I'm not installing a subwoofer, do you think I still need an amp? I just plan on replacing the stereo, front speakers, and soundbar speakers. I don't have any place to put a woofer.
Yes you do bro. Depending on the year of your jeep they got JL makes stealth boxes. If you don't mind giving up the cargo space they got boxes for that, but if you don't want all that bass they do sell center consoles with woofers in them. And depending on wh@t speakers you get you probably won't need an amp.

Screenshot_20200613-034549.png
IMG_20200825_182626427_MP.jpg

IMG_20210309_163600922.jpg

I'm looking to upgrade as well and rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask for advice here.

Are Sony head units any good? Any reason to avoid?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0794TLW4T/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I'm also looking at Alpine, Kenwood and JVC

Are 6.5 inch speakers noticeably better than 5.25 in the soundbar?
I run that head unit. Overall it has treated me well. Bluetooth get's a little funky sometimes but I believe that is my phone's issue. Running bluetooth on head unit, inreach, and aprs may have something to due with it as well.

One complaint is I don't think there is a microphone input on the unit. However bluetooth calls in a Jeep are a bit rough to begin with.

Reactions: matkal
Yes, and a wiring harness adapter.
Wiring harness yes the antenna no.
I run that head unit. Overall it has treated me well. Bluetooth get's a little funky sometimes but I believe that is my phone's issue. Running bluetooth on head unit, inreach, and aprs may have something to due with it as well.

One complaint is I don't think there is a microphone input on the unit. However bluetooth calls in a Jeep are a bit rough to begin with.
they are all much of a muchness when buying the big brands. Kedwood have greater emphasis on sound quality than apps and things. If you can stretch a little this one in pic is pretty much universally acknowledged as one of the very best single din and still available.

A6EBB877-2660-45CD-B7EF-4C863874EBD6.png

I ended up ordering the Sony, 5.25 and 6.5 Kickers from Crutchfield, great company to deal with, I had heard good things but never used them. They throw in all the extras you need, dash adapter, wiring harness, antenna adapter, speaker adapter, etc. All that makes them the cheapest option, fast shipping too.

Anyway, I know I'm on the cheap end of the budget spectrum but it will be an improvement, I can't hear all that well anyway...LOL

Nice work. It’s going to sound so much better than stock lol.

After getting a little annoyed with lousy sound quality in mine I started learning about car audio installation, how sound travels in vehicles and staging.
I nerded out on it hard.
But in the end was able to drastically improve the sound quality.

The 3 best upgrades I’ve made to my TJs stereo system are:

1) Sound Deadening. Sound bar, inside dash, etc.

2) Going to component speakers for the front (tweeters on dash and 5.25 woofer in stock dash location).

3) I installed an AudioControl Three.2 EQ/Crossover. This this isn’t cheap but it is a game changer.

I run an old detachable face kenwood head unit. Polk 5.25” components in dash and 6” 2ways in the sound bar and their 10” DB low profile sub. All amped.

Crutchfield is awesome for audio equipment. Great service too.

I wanted to keep the factory radio. And use my iphone for music and such.

After the radio change it still sounded lousy. Turns out old stock speakers are way past prime.

I replaced those and it sounds great. We great enough for a jeep with the windows down and MT/Rs.

Dash is still stock. So at least i I got that going for me. Which is nice.

Here is a link to the post with the details.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-tj-today.1784/page-1244#post-872383