Stereo system upgrade

Here’s the list of what I installed:
Head Unit - Alpine CDE 172 BT Alpine Head Unit

Amp - Soundstream Picasso Nano amp

Front Speakers - Kicker 5 1/4“ CSC5 Front Speakers

Rear Soundbar Speakers -Kicker 5 1/4” CSC5 Rear soundbar speakers

Sub (retrofit into center console sub) - Kicker CompRT 6.75”Console subwoofer

Amp wire kit - TopstrongGear 8 Guage Amp wire kit
Thank you for the links. Very helpful for this noob to upgrades. It is time for my stereo to be replaced as years of dust have junked up the CD loading motor. I was looking at this STEREO. Yours looks about the same, but at a more reasonable price. I would LOVE to add an amp and subwoofer.

Questions for the experts: Replace the SPEAKERS or the entire SOUNDBAR?

Thank you for the links. Very helpful for this noob to upgrades. It is time for my stereo to be replaced as years of dust have junked up the CD loading motor. I was looking at this STEREO. Yours looks about the same, but at a more reasonable price. I would LOVE to add an amp and subwoofer.

Questions for the experts: Replace the SPEAKERS or the entire SOUNDBAR?
Just upgraded to a Jl 10W7ae3 and are getting Rockford Fosgate M2 8H's in the Sound bar. So that's 1200 watts RMS in the sound bar and 750 to 1000 watts for the sub....

First thing I tackled was where to put the amp! Some on this board suggested under the steering column, so that’s where I started. I ran into an issue where it looked like there was already a small “box” installed on a bracket in that location. I discovered this was a factory installed satellite radio module. I decided to remove the old module and attempt to use the mounting bracket from it for a nice clean install spot. I did use a cutting board with some spacers to allow the amp to “breathe” on all sides.
View attachment 233694 View attachment 233695 View attachment 233696 View attachment 233697

Next I mounted the amp in the factory bracket location under the steering column.

View attachment 233698 View attachment 233699
Thanks for posting. UPS just dropped off a double din Kenwood for me today and I recieved my Kicker sup a few weeks ago. I need to look under my steering column to see if I have that bracket too. That might be just enough reason to buy an amp instead of using factory power.

Reactions: HoosierRich
Ya you're gonna want an aftermarket amp. That kicker sub should have a recommendation for an amp in the manual. Some people buy whatever and mix brands I try not too. For my Jl I have a JL àmp. For my RF I hàve RF amp. But hiding it is tuff. Besides bolting everything down I'm thinking about making a stainless steel cage for my sound bar, welded of course

Ya you're gonna want an aftermarket amp. That kicker sub should have a recommendation for an amp in the manual. Some people buy whatever and mix brands I try not too. For my Jl I have a JL àmp. For my RF I hàve RF amp. But hiding it is tuff. Besides bolting everything down I'm thinking about making a stainless steel cage for my sound bar, welded of course
If I'm not installing a subwoofer, do you think I still need an amp? I just plan on replacing the stereo, front speakers, and soundbar speakers. I don't have any place to put a woofer.

If I'm not installing a subwoofer, do you think I still need an amp? I just plan on replacing the stereo, front speakers, and soundbar speakers. I don't have any place to put a woofer.
I used this amp.... MB quart .... had it for over three years.... fits under the steering wheel dash.... easy install .... highly recommend

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/mb-qua...-pass-crossover-black/6412784.p?skuId=6412784
Used this powered subwoofer in rear... can be removed at any time unstrap and unplug
Pioneer TS-WX1210A 12" Sealed enclosure active subwoofer with built-in amplifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0794XV3VN/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
Very nice set up and great pictures. PO installed a Pioneer head unit and a Alpine compact powered sub. He unfortunately stopped there and left the factory speakers in? Just finished this morning adding Rockford Fosgate speakers. What a huge difference, now if it will just warm up here I can go share my Playlist with others.

16203103354158549907648379824472.jpg

20210506_081423.jpg

20210506_073827.jpg

Very nice set up and great pictures. PO installed a Pioneer head unit and a Alpine compact powered sub. He unfortunately stopped there and left the factory speakers in? Just finished this morning adding Rockford Fosgate speakers. What a huge difference, now if it will just warm up here I can go share my Playlist with others.
Do you prefer Rockford Fosgate to Kicker? I'm filling my Amazon cart and slowly sifting through the suggestions here.
I want some bass, but not the kind to wake my neighbors.

I also suggest when shopping for Audio Crutchfield is the place to go
Thank you for your input. I went to the Crutchfield website and you can test speakers out with your headphones. Based on the kind of music I like to listen to, I went for the Rockford Fosgate P142 in-dash and the P152 for the roll bar.

Reactions: Jeep Dude
I bought this bad boy for $20 off Amazon 😂

View attachment 250318
All jokes aside, what's the specs on that? It seems like even cheap crappy radios nowadays have decent output capability. I bought a Dual from walmart for $17 the other day for my wife's car and it claims to have a 50w x4 output. Which totally blows the stock radio out of the water. I figure it will blow the stock 20 year old speakers in very short order. I'd put one in the Jeep, but I don't like that the radio doesn't have a dimmer feature.

All jokes aside, what's the specs on that? It seems like even cheap crappy radios nowadays have decent output capability. I bought a Dual from walmart for $17 the other day for my wife's car and it claims to have a 50w x4 output. Which totally blows the stock radio out of the water. I figure it will blow the stock 20 year old speakers in very short order. I'd put one in the Jeep, but I don't like that the radio doesn't have a dimmer feature.
It claims 60w x 4.

When I bought the Jeep last week, the aftermarket stereo that was installed stayed on constantly. PO would just remove the faceplate after stopping to turn it off. I assumed he'd accidentally switched the constant hot with the ignition wire. So I knew I was going to need to rewire it, but I also wanted Bluetooth since I don't listen to CDs much these days. Since I was going to have to pull it out anyway, I figured I'd just swap it at the same time for something with BT built in.

Wasn't looking for anything too fancy. I also hate that almost every aftermarket stereo looks like a Winamp Skin from 1999. Tiny buttons, wild faux-futuristic designs. At $20 with a simpler aesthetic, this was hard to pass up. It probably won't last long. It feels cheap and the minimal instructions were in broken English. But at $20 if I only get like a year out of it I don't care too much.

Oh and it also doesn't have a dimmer. Only driven at night once with it installed, but it wasn't too bright.