StG58's 1999 Jeep Wrangler SE

These guys are standing on Swede boards:
http_%2F%2Fa.amz.mshcdn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F12%2Flumber-10.jpg

Reactions: Squatch
Awesome pic! I've always heard them called springboards. Though the two are totally unrelated, the pic reminded me of the old term "gandy dancing". :)
They are still used, rarely, in very steep terrain. You can use them to get above the butt swell if you are using a two man cross cut or to give yourself a place to stand in steep terrain. OSHA doesn't approve. Not one little bit.

It gets steep around here, in places.

Reactions: Squatch
I'm a Mauser 98 kind of guy. I do like my StG58, the Austrian version of the FAL, but it seems to eat ammo at an atrocious rate sometimes. Finally had to start reloading cast for it. It's a good, reliable, even kinda sexy, rifle. Pairs well with my 1911.

I had a great friend that was a FAL guru. I now have one of his built on Imbel receiver, from way back when you still had quality kits (believe STG) available. Just bought an 8mm Mauser, Serbian 1928 model. Someone butchered the stock though. I was told a 24/47 stock would fit so finally found and bought one.... it doesn't fit. Probably just sell it all and let someone else fix it with a new stock.

Ok.... back to JEEPS!!! Sorry for the Segway

Reactions: StG58
The adventure continues...

1,500 miles and nine days in the back country with the SE.

The wife and I take a road trip every year for our anniversary. This year we went to Steens Mountai1n and S.E. Oregon. We were originally planning on 10 days, but life got in the way, sooo... Steens Mountain is the largest Fault Block mountain in North American. 10,000 foot high, about 50 miles or so long and 20 or so miles wide. Pretty impressive. It also has the highest road in Oregon, at just shy of 10,000 feet at the highest point. The drop on the east side to the Alvord Desert is about a mile. Almost straight down.

Here's some pictures, more as I get them sorted out and organized...
20180903_154620.jpg

20180903_154757.jpg

Here's a link to the land speed record set in the Alvord Desert.
https://www.history.com/this-day-in...man-kitty-oneil-sets-womens-land-speed-record
"On December 6, 1976, the professional stuntwoman Kitty O’Neil sets the land-speed record for female drivers at the Alvord Desert in southeastern Oregon. The record hovered around 400 mph; O’Neil’s two-way average speed was 512.710 mph. Observers reported that O’Neil’s car actually reached a top speed of more than 618 miles per hour on her first pass, but she ran out of fuel and had to coast to the end of the course."

I'm pretty sure I can get close to that in the SE... :eek::p

Reactions: Nicholas and JMT
Ocean, mountains, and desert ! You gots it all up there brah!
Dude, it's closer to you that it is to me. It's a good road trip.

Oh, I think I came close to popping an axle in my Dana 35 dinking around in the rocks out that way. Trying to get the wife closer to some good looking horses. Pretty sure I did get the exhaust system though.

Reactions: bobthetj03
The adventure continues...

1,500 miles and nine days in the back country with the SE.

The wife and I take a road trip every year for our anniversary. This year we went to Steens Mountai1n and S.E. Oregon. We were originally planning on 10 days, but life got in the way, sooo... Steens Mountain is the largest Fault Block mountain in North American. 10,000 foot high, about 50 miles or so long and 20 or so miles wide. Pretty impressive. It also has the highest road in Oregon, at just shy of 10,000 feet at the highest point. The drop on the east side to the Alvord Desert is about a mile. Almost straight down.

Here's some pictures, more as I get them sorted out and organized...
View attachment 54912
View attachment 54913

This is really cool, doesn't even look like Oregon! You say it's SE Oregon?

I'd love to take my drone here with me in the Jeep. I could get some epic shots.

A few more, just for giggles...
View attachment 54914 View attachment 54917
Alvord Desert. 7 miles wide, 12 miles long. Flat as a pancake.

Now that doesn't look like Oregon at all!

This is really cool, doesn't even look like Oregon! You say it's SE Oregon?

I'd love to take my drone here with me in the Jeep. I could get some epic shots.

Now that doesn't look like Oregon at all!
Yup, down around Frenchglen. A little south of there. South and east of Malhuer where all the excitement was awhile back.

Reactions: Chris
Just started reading your thread from the beginning this morning. Guess I should have read further before answering. I see the spring boards were talked about. My Dad was a logger and timber faller in the 50s, 60s and 70s. I use to set chockers behind him when I was younger. Hard work.