Stock Rubicon gearing vs 33s with 4.56

Hunting camp jeep. And a pretty sweet one at that. I'd have no issue replacing my dads 3.73s with 5.13s in his 32rh/3.73/245/75r16
98 sahara. He would drive it like the flat fender he wanted me to get him in the first place.

Cruising town and logging roads with ease. No need to gun it anywhere with the torque available

A large number of those flat fenders came with 5.38s from the factory I believe?

Reactions: John Cooper
Hold up, so a 32RH is just a 42RLE w/OD off. Very interesting.

I’ve driven a 32RH TJ w/ the same gearing/tires as I have now, and the driving experience felt different somehow. 🤔

Close enough to derive useful thoughts on the matter.
Screenshot_20240315_195848_Chrome Beta.jpg

Another difference between the two would be the shift points. I can tell you that from 1-3, the 42rle is a different experience depending on if the OD is on or off. Off moves the shift points higher. I prefer driving around town with the OD off, despite the 538 gears.

View attachment 509799

Another difference between the two would be the shift points. I can tell you that from 1-3, the 42rle is a different experience depending on if the OD is on or off. Off moves the shift points higher. I prefer driving around town with the OD off, despite the 538 gears.

Slap some 31s on the back and do some burnout vids for us 😉

Reactions: jjvw
View attachment 509799

Same feeling with my 3.73s, we talked about this recently.

Same feeling with my 3.73s, we talked about this recently.

Which means in spite of everything, you can know that 538 isn't deep enough. And you can move past this wishy washy personal truth BS.

Reactions: DaveC
Which means in spite of everything, you can know that 538 isn't deep enough. And you can move past this wishy washy personal truth BS.

Now you got me thinking. Do I want to gear that low and still end up with a “not deep enough” 4th gear, or go a bit shallower and keep treating it as a 32RH.

Now you got me thinking. Do I want to gear that low and still end up with a “not deep enough” 4th gear, or go a bit shallower and keep treating it as a 32RH.

Having just regeared away from that, it's ridiculous to even entertain the idea.

There is nothing about 4.88 that was better than what I have now. My assertion is that the gearing still isn't deep enough for the highway.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
Having just regeared away from that, it's ridiculous to even entertain the idea.

There is nothing about 4.88 that was better than what I have now.

Right, I’d forgotten about that. I gotcha.

Your personal truth has helped me 🫡

Right, I’d forgotten about that. I gotcha.

Your personal truth has helped me 🫡

The personal truth BS is annoying because you already know it to be a sound position. This is backed up by countless other experiences, independent of the transmission, that people consistently tend to be more satisfied with higher rpms. And all you need to do is understand the numbers.

The personal truth BS is annoying because you already know it to be a sound position. This is backed up by countless other experiences, independent of the transmission, that people consistently tend to be more satisfied with higher rpms. And all you need to do is understand the numbers.

I suppose it isn’t any more annoying than scaring off newcomers with the entitled socratic method. 😆 But we’ve already discussed that too.

Edit: Nothing personal btw. Just making an observation, like you made above.

• Haha
Reactions: Rickyd and JMT
I suppose it isn’t any more annoying than scaring off newcomers with the entitled socratic method. 😆 But we’ve already discussed that too.

Edit: Nothing personal btw. Just making an observation, like you made above.

I have my dog to comfort those little children who are too easily scared of being asked to think about things.
1679540623347.png

Reactions: PNW_LJ
FIFY

If you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything. 🤫

This is the only thing that needs fixing in all your posts in this thread.

Last edited: