Stolen! (no meaningful questions or insights in this thread unfortunately, just a story)

jeskandarian

I bought my daughter a 2000 nearly bone stock TJ when she was 16 from a guy who had better offers on the car but wanted my kid to have it. Between lift, arms, stereo, headlights, electric door locks and windows, cross bars and replacing nearly everything that could possibly wear out I've spend many many hours wrenching on it and only buying top of the line gear. Many of those hours with her helping me. She was even under there with me scraping gunk during a RMS change. She could change her oil w/o spilling a drop on the floor and rotate her tires.

I helped her get comfortable and safe driving herself in the snow to use it for snowboarding the local mountains and running around fire roads in the summer with her friends.

She took it off to college in Pacific Beach (San Diego) just over a month ago. Unfortunately it got stolen today!!

Not sure what the draw is to steal a 21 year old Jeep. The parts aren't very expensive. Maybe to just take it to Mexico and sell it? Who knows.

it's too bad because a 19 yr old girl can't start out with another used TJ without having a Dad with a tools close by.

Here is the last time I saw it (and her).

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 9.45.03 PM.png

And one more

IMG_5247.JPG

I bought my daughter a 2000 nearly bone stock TJ when she was 16 from a guy who had better offers on the car but wanted my kid to have it. Between lift, arms, stereo, headlights, electric door locks and windows, cross bars and replacing nearly everything that could possibly wear out I've spend many many hours wrenching on it and only buying top of the line gear. Many of those hours with her helping me. She was even under there with me scraping gunk during a RMS change. She could change her oil w/o spilling a drop on the floor and rotate her tires.

I helped her get comfortable and safe driving herself in the snow to use it for snowboarding the local mountains and running around fire roads in the summer with her friends.

She took it off to college in Pacific Beach (San Diego) just over a month ago. Unfortunately it got stolen today!!

Not sure what the draw is to steal a 21 year old Jeep. The parts aren't very expensive. Maybe to just take it to Mexico and sell it? Who knows.

it's too bad because a 19 yr old girl can't start out with another used TJ without having a Dad with a tools close by.

Here is the last time I saw it (and her).

View attachment 280592
And one more

View attachment 280591
The first half of that story was really good! The last half breaks my heart.

Yeah, that sucks… hard top too. I assumed soft top. Is it that the hoods don’t lock or just that thieves can take anything if they want it?

When you put so much love and care into something, for all the right reasons, then someone steals that from you it breaks your heart. Unfortunately, this is one of the dark sides of humanity. All humans aren't humane. So sorry for the loss of a Jeep with deep personal meaning attached ! :(

Yeah, that sucks… hard top too. I assumed soft top. Is it that the hoods don’t lock or just that thieves can take anything if they want it?
If it isn't SKIM enabled thieves can start these in seconds, without opening the hood, and drive away. Even if it is, that won't stop a tow truck thief. They can be gone in a couple minutes with the vehicle.

Sorry to hear this. Good thing are the memories you and your daughter had working on it together. I'm sure the lowlife scumbag that stole it will get his just reward.:mad:

So sad to hear this. I’ll keep an eye out but likely already in Mexico. Hopefully insurance will give you a decent payoff.

So sorry to here this. My good friend was in Saudi Arabia during the gulf war. When he came home he talked about theft in Arabia, when caught and convicted they lost a hand or fingers. Our liberal laws promote crap like this, just slap their hand and next day they are right back at it again

Sorry to hear this.
Unfortunately TJ's are ridiculously easy to break in to. If anybody doesn't have additional theft deterrents I would highly recommend them, especially in border states. I don't want to post instructions but please know that the door locks are all but useless.
I hope that the Jeep was just taken by joyriders and will be found.

I know the title is "no meaningful questions" but posting on social media, for example the SoCal recovery groups on facebook can be effective finding stolen vehicles. You need to include all the info including the VIN. The police aren't going to have any leads.

Maybe the Cartel will return it with an "I'm so sorry note" and a pound of Coke to sell for his troubles. :rolleyes:
I know what it is like to have the worst case scenario of having a vehicle stolen and never returned. My "hope" is that the OP has a best case scenario of his TJ being found and returned, regardless of how unlikely that might be.

• Sad
Reactions: Irun