Stretched LJ on 40s

kingofenglund

Supporting Member
Hey y'all.

Long time listener, first time caller. Been using this forum as a information resource for awhile now, but I figured since I am finally starting to put work into my LJ I should start supporting it as well as put a little build thread together. I like the idea of having a little journal of my progress, and having feed back on dumb things I might be doing would be great too.

Quickly catching y'all up on things. I've always been an automotive enthusiast, mostly been into european cars as that's what dad was into. Was into VWs for a long time. Grew tired of FWD's shortcomings, and moved onto BMWs. Spent awhile messing with those, owning a dozen or so e30s. Had a touring that I daily-ed through college.

1692202872323.png

1692202822284.png

Also spent a while tinkering on a coupe, swapping in an engine from a newer M3. Its purpose was to be a canyon cruiser, auto x, track day type car. But it had some electrical gremlins I never got around to fixing (I hate electrical problems) and it was always on the back burner to other cars.

1692203278481.png

Unfortunately found out that the "dad wagon' wasn't super car seat friendly nor is "track car" (I use that term loosely here) family friendly, I eventually ended up picking up some Toyotas. I first had a 3rd gen 4Runner, but wanted something with more capability than the IFS 4Runner. Sold that for an 80 series Land Cruiser. Great platform, just maintenance heavy and Cruiser parts pull a bigger premium than my BMWs did. So I got sick of it quickly. Only owned it for about 6 months before it was parked and left till I had money to fix and sell it. Not much time to do anything considered a "build."

1692203907346.png

My passion in cars had driven me to get an engineering degree so I could work in the aftermarket. About the time I was getting sick of the Cruiser, I was working at Teraflex, designing a variety of parts. I had always loved the TJ platform, but grew to love it more seeing coworkers TJs. Also wanting a Gladiator in the future, I picked up a cheaper TJ to build.

Covid brought in some price increases as we all know, and I couldn't justify spending what gladiator's were going for. I decided to sell the TJ and pick up a slightly more family friendly LJ.

Some pictures from the day I bought it.

1692204273414.png

1692204291309.png

1692204430174.png

1692204452027.png

Did a lot better than I thought it would on the RTI ramp. But not good enough.

Then build plan, as the thread name suggests, is to stretch it and throw on some 40s. Sounds easy right?

I'll update with more details on how I plan to get that all working soon. Just wanted to get something down for now.

Hey y'all.

Long time listener, first time caller. Been using this forum as a information resource for awhile now, but I figured since I am finally starting to put work into my LJ I should start supporting it as well as put a little build thread together. I like the idea of having a little journal of my progress, and having feed back on dumb things I might be doing would be great too.

Quickly catching y'all up on things. I've always been an automotive enthusiast, mostly been into european cars as that's what dad was into. Was into VWs for a long time. Grew tired of FWD's shortcomings, and moved onto BMWs. Spent awhile messing with those, owning a dozen or so e30s. Had a touring that I daily-ed through college.

View attachment 450314

View attachment 450313

Also spent a while tinkering on a coupe, swapping in an engine from a newer M3. Its purpose was to be a canyon cruiser, auto x, track day type car. But it had some electrical gremlins I never got around to fixing (I hate electrical problems) and it was always on the back burner to other cars.

View attachment 450316

Unfortunately found out that the "dad wagon' wasn't super car seat friendly nor is "track car" (I use that term loosely here) family friendly, I eventually ended up picking up some Toyotas. I first had a 3rd gen 4Runner, but wanted something with more capability than the IFS 4Runner. Sold that for an 80 series Land Cruiser. Great platform, just maintenance heavy and Cruiser parts pull a bigger premium than my BMWs did. So I got sick of it quickly. Only owned it for about 6 months before it was parked and left till I had money to fix and sell it. Not much time to do anything considered a "build."

View attachment 450318

My passion in cars had driven me to get an engineering degree so I could work in the aftermarket. About the time I was getting sick of the Cruiser, I was working at Teraflex, designing a variety of parts. I had always loved the TJ platform, but grew to love it more seeing coworkers TJs. Also wanting a Gladiator in the future, I picked up a cheaper TJ to build.

Covid brought in some price increases as we all know, and I couldn't justify spending what gladiator's were going for. I decided to sell the TJ and pick up a slightly more family friendly LJ.

Some pictures from the day I bought it.

View attachment 450319

View attachment 450320

View attachment 450322

View attachment 450323

Did a lot better than I thought it would on the RTI ramp. But not good enough.

Then build plan, as the thread name suggests, is to stretch it and throw on some 40s. Sounds easy right?

I'll update with more details on how I plan to get that all working soon. Just wanted to get something down for now.

Welcome to the forum! (as a participant)

I’m a fan of older BMWs as well, an e46 330ci is on the list after I’m done with my LJ.

A 40s build is pretty adventurous for a first build, but the LJ is a great platform for that. Look forward to following your progress.

Reactions: kingofenglund
Welcome to the forum! (as a participant)

I’m a fan of older BMWs as well, an e46 330ci is on the list after I’m done with my LJ.

A 40s build is pretty adventurous for a first build, but the LJ is a great platform for that. Look forward to following your progress.

I'm not afraid of the plasma torch or angle grinder. :LOL:

It is a bit adventurous. Even though this is my first official Jeep build, I've been around quite a few through work and friends to know what I'm getting myself into. It'll get there though.

My goal is to have it done in time for a birthday wheeling trip to Sand Hollow at the end of October, so the timeline might be a bit lofty of a goal, especially with kids doing sports and such on weekends over the next few months. So wish me luck haha

I'm not afraid of the plasma torch or angle grinder. :LOL:
Gunna need a couple BFHs too.
It is a bit adventurous. Even though this is my first official Jeep build, I've been around quite a few through work and friends to know what I'm getting myself into. It'll get there though.

My goal is to have it done in time for a birthday wheeling trip to Sand Hollow at the end of October, so the timeline might be a bit lofty of a goal, especially with kids doing sports and such on weekends over the next few months. So wish me luck haha
Just 2 months? You’re going to need a lot of luck or money, or both lol.

About the time I was getting sick of the Cruiser, I was working at Teraflex, designing a variety of parts.

Soo the million dollar question, are you going to use any Teraflex parts?

• Wow
Reactions: Tob and Rickyd
Gunna need a couple BFHs too.

Just 2 months? You’re going to need a lot of luck or money, or both lol.

Soo the million dollar question, are you going to use any Teraflex parts?

100%. The current plans are to stretch to about 110-112in wheelbase, not exactly set on what I want it to end up at yet. The build will be loosely based on Teraflex's Pro-LCG kit. Because the Teraflex kit doesn't stretch to what I want it to (or very much at all), I'll be doing my own thing to get there. I also got some other things on order from them that I hope will be showing up shortly. I've already got the Pro-LCG kit in my hands, so I'll be throwing what I will be using of the kit on soon.

Unfortunately, I no longer work for Teraflex. That dream job has ended and I'm now working closer to home and am doing part time contracted design work for an aftermarket Jeep products company that's just getting on their feet (I can't share too much detail on that yet). So add that in around another full time job, doing dad duties, and trying to videos to document the build; and the timeline seems even more ridiculous.

Plans are 40s, 110-112ish inch wheelbase. And to keep it as low as functionally possible.

What I’ve acquired so far:
40in Trail Grappler (this was a miracle)
Teraflex Pro-LCG kit
Teraflex HD Trans Pan Skid Plate
Teraflex HD Oil Pan Skid Plate
Teraflex Olympus Beadlock Wheels
2 Speed Atlas
GenRight Rear Control Arm Brackets
Legendary Performance Designs Front Bumper
ARB Dual air compressor
Warn VR 10s
Teraflex 1in Body Lift

Things I've ordered:
Genright Comp23 Gas tank
Nemesis Highline front fenders.

There's obviously lots left to buy, and I may go broke or cause my wife to leave me buying it all. Or both. But I’ll update as things come in.

100%. The current plans are to stretch to about 110-112in wheelbase, not exactly set on what I want it to end up at yet. The build will be loosely based on Teraflex's Pro-LCG kit. Because the Teraflex kit doesn't stretch to what I want it to (or very much at all), I'll be doing my own thing to get there. I also got some other things on order from them that I hope will be showing up shortly. I've already got the Pro-LCG kit in my hands, so I'll be throwing what I will be using of the kit on soon.

Unfortunately, I no longer work for Teraflex. That dream job has ended and I'm now working closer to home and am doing part time contracted design work for an aftermarket Jeep products company that's just getting on their feet (I can't share too much detail on that yet). So add that in around another full time job, doing dad duties, and trying to videos to document the build; and the timeline seems even more ridiculous.

very much following.....fell into a Teraflex Pro-LCG kit on accident interested to see the versatility and things you do as part of the stretch to incorporate. My project still on stock wheelbase for now.

Looking forward to following along - should be a fun build.

My rig is a stretched LJ as well. Ton's, 40's, coilovers, 115" wb, Atlas 4sp, 392 Hemi, ATS tranny...

'Course, I spent 19 years building this thing. Keep us posted as you progress toward October.

Can't go wrong with ole' yeller...

Wolly's Ledge.jpg

Looking forward to following along - should be a fun build.

My rig is a stretched LJ as well. Ton's, 40's, coilovers, 115" wb, Atlas 4sp, 392 Hemi, ATS tranny...

'Course, I spent 19 years building this thing. Keep us posted as you progress toward October.

Can't go wrong with ole' yeller...

View attachment 450413

That things pretty rad! Much more polished than I could get mine to be for awhile!

Last edited:
A buddy came down this last weekend and we were able to get a bit of the tear down done . Axles are out, Grill, fenders, and such are out to give room to cut and grind factory brackets off the frame.

Hover mode activated.

1692280541643.png

Before the axles came out, I cut out the extra cross member LJs have to make room for pushing the axle back. Don't worry, I cleaned it up more than this, just forget to take a picture.

1692280791584.png

i will also be watching along.

are you gonna keep it black?

I've been going back and forth on keeping the black. I don't mind it, but its not in the best shape so it'll likely need a respray at some point anyways. Which makes me think on other color options. We'll see though.