Structurally Sound Rock Sliders

Artisan

It looks like the $200-$300 rock sliders tend to be body mounting and will not offer full protection. The obviously more serious sliders seem to run around $400-$500.

Are there protective, frame-mounted rock sliders at a lower price?

It looks like the $200-$300 rock sliders tend to be body mounting and will not offer full protection. The obviously more serious sliders seem to run around $400-$500.

Are there protective, frame-mounted rock sliders at a lower price?

You've got this all backwards

Reactions: Chris and L J
Phew, I thought I was just reading it wrong. Yes, you want it mounted to the body. Not the frame alone. My sliders have bracing brackets connected to seat bolts as well as connecting to the body. It sucks drilling holes on the tub. I bought the JCR sliders. I don’t go crazy with my Jeep. But, I wanted good protection for when I botch it. And I paid for it. There isn’t a shopping cart in town getting to my Jeep. :)

Having severely damaged two different sliders, one of which actually allowed the body to get wrinkled underneath, the only slider I have found that gives absolute protection is Savvy's 3-part design. It uses two heavy aluminum pieces to sandwich the tub to which a heavy steel slider is bolted to. Too bad they're currently on backorder but you can see them at https://savvyoffroad.com/product/rkr-kit/

And as above, tub-mounted is by far the strongest possible way to go. Frame mounted may sound stronger but it's definitely not even close.

Here are a few pics of their install on my first TJ and I'm still running them on my current TJ...

CIMG3520.jpg

CIMG3545.jpg

CIMG3552.jpg

CIMG3558.jpg

Having severely damaged two different sliders, one of which actually allowed the body to get wrinkled underneath, the only slider I have found that gives absolute protection s Savvy's 3-part design. It uses two heavy aluminum pieces to sandwich the tub to which a heavy steel slider is bolted to. Too bad they're currently on backorder but you can see them at https://savvyoffroad.com/product/rkr-kit/

And as above, tub-mounted is by far the strongest possible way to go. Frame mounted may sound stronger but it's definitely not even close.

Here are a few pics of their install on my first TJ and I'm still running them on my current TJ...

View attachment 190919

View attachment 190920

View attachment 190921

View attachment 190922
Enlightening. Looks very substantial.

I wouldn't trade my Poison Spyder Ricochet Rockers for anything in the world. I've beat the hell out of them over the years and they've protected 100%. Plus, with my roof rack, they are a really good step.

Reactions: Andrew Mac
Mind you, i haven't bought any rockers yet, but my research looks like savvy is best, then poison spider, then jcr. But those 3 seem pretty close in protection that i can tell. I'm personally looking at the jcr's.

Mind you, i haven't bought any rockers yet, but my research looks like savvy is best, then poison spider, then jcr. But those 3 seem pretty close in protection that i can tell. I'm personally looking at the jcr's.
Poison spyder is a fine example of the wrong way to design a body mounted slider.

Look harder at the Savvys.

Reactions: Yamahor
Poison spyder is a fine example of the wrong way to design a body mounted slider.
I'm sure they have failed some people. Mine, on the other hand, are scarred from years of rocks and trail damage but have never caused any damage what so ever to the tub; ever. Same with all sixty or so members of two different clubs I've belonged to over the years who also ran them. I mean, they're not 'Savvy sheik', but they're not a terrible design.

I'm sure they have failed some people. Mine, on the other hand, are scarred from years of rocks and trail damage but have never caused any damage what so ever to the tub; ever. Same with all sixty or so members of two different clubs I've belonged to over the years who also ran them. I mean, they're not 'Savvy sheik', but they're not a terrible design.

They use the body mounts as a means of attachment. That is bad enough. Then there aren't enough bolts into the tub. It's a poor design, especially when you can get ones that attach better for a similar cost.

They use the body mounts as a means of attachment. That is bad enough. Then there aren't enough bolts into the tub. It's a poor design, especially when you can get ones that attach better for a similar cost.
Not sure which design you're talking about specifically. Poison Spyder has something like eight or nine different rock sliders for the TJ alone. Mine attach to the frame bolts, and to the body, bottom and side.

I've personally seen issues with their early corner designs. But that's not the topic at hand.

Not sure which design you're talking about specifically. Poison Spyder has something like eight or nine different rock sliders for the TJ alone. Mine attach to the frame bolts, and to the body, bottom and side.

I've personally seen issues with their early corner designs. But that's not the topic at hand.

If yours are sandwiched between the body and the body mounts, then yours are a dumb design. However, if yours attach in such a way as to completely avoid anything to do with the body mounts or anything having to do with the frame, then you have some oddball PS design that isn't seen very often. Feel free to post pics of what you have.