Suggested upgrades for steering stabilizers, shocks and steering parts

Jon Wildes

TJ Padawan
Supporting Member
I recently had a diagnostic run by 4Wheel Parts. just so i had an idea of what i might need to replace. I know those guys are salesman and will add things but for the most part the things on their list were already on mine. i really wanted to know if there was something i was missing. So the following is a list of suggested swaps made by them please feel free to add or revise or give me a suggestion on brand.

Track Bar: I swapped out my track bar with a Pro Comp track bar, i know most of you dislike this track bar greatly. too late now will swap it again later.
Tie Rod and Drag Link: i am going with the ZJ here unless i can talk the wife into the Currie lol. the guy before me put a drop pitman arm on also so ill swap it back out for factory when i do this.
Steering Stabilizer and shocks: Guy before me has rough country all around. i already know that needs to be swapped.
Ball Joints: not sure here
Control Arms: same not sure
i am also going to upgrade the steering gear to a Durango steering gear at some point.
any help would be appreciated, i have only had this jeep for about 2 weeks.

I recently had a diagnostic run by 4Wheel Parts. just so i had an idea of what i might need to replace. I know those guys are salesman and will add things but for the most part the things on their list were already on mine. i really wanted to know if there was something i was missing. So the following is a list of suggested swaps made by them please feel free to add or revise or give me a suggestion on brand.

Track Bar: I swapped out my track bar with a Pro Comp track bar, i know most of you dislike this trackball greatly. too late now will swap it again later.
Tie Rod and Drag Link: i am going with the ZJ here unless i can talk the wife into the Currie lol. the guy before me put a drop pitman arm on also so ill swap it back out for factory when i do this.
Steering Stabilizer and shocks: Guy before me has rough country all around. i already know that needs to be swapped.
Ball Joints: not sure here
Control Arms: same not sure
i am also going to upgrade the steering gear to a Durango steering gear at some point.
any help would be appreciated, i have only had this jeep for about 2 weeks.

Front Trackbar: As you said, nothing you can do, but I would recommend Curries if and when you upgrade.

Tie rod and drag link. Crown or Moog parts. If you are doing the ZJ steering upgrade, in the for sale section I have a drag link up for sale which will save you a few bucks.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/fs-crown-drag-link-assembly-includes-tre-and-sleeve.8816/

Shocks. OME or Rancho.

Steering Stabilizer. Any name brand will do, like OME or Monroe.

Ball joints. Go with Chris.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wrangler-tj-ball-joint-replacement.281/

Control Arms. I have heard good results from Clayton, but no personal experience.

Reactions: Jon Wildes
Front Trackbar: As you said, nothing you can do, but I would recommend Curries if and when you upgrade.

Tie rod and drag link. Crown or Moog parts. If you are doing the ZJ steering upgrade, in the for sale section I have a drag link up for sale which will save you a few bucks.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/fs-crown-drag-link-assembly-includes-tre-and-sleeve.8816/

Shocks. OME or Rancho.

Steering Stabilizer. Any name brand will do, like OME or Monroe.

Ball joints. Go with Chris.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wrangler-tj-ball-joint-replacement.281/

Control Arms. I have heard good results from Clayton, but no personal experience.
thank you for the suggestions. ill look into it all.

Track Bar: Not familiar with the ProComp track bar, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. All it does is center the axle laterally, so it doesn't need to be anything special. The major thing to pay attention to with track bars is clearance issues they can cause with driveline components. You should be fine with this one though.
Tie Rod and Drag Link: I reccomend the Currie Currectlync (it's marked down the lowest I've ever seen it, click on that link to see) first, or the ZJ Tie Rod Conversion if you can't afford the Currie right now.
Steering Stabilizer and shocks: Rancho RS500X bar none. Hands down the nicest riding shocks you'll find for your TJ. Almost everyone here will agree with me on this.
Ball Joints: See this: Which ball joints are the best for my Jeep Wrangler TJ
Control Arms: If you have the money, I highly recommend the Savvy Control Arms.

As for the Durango steering, check this thread out: Dodge Durango Steering Gear Retrofit FAQ

The Durango box is not an upgrade over stock. It uses bronze bushings rather than bearings. The only other difference is that it had a different turning ratio, whatever good that is.

The ProComp track bar might need additional bump stop extension to keep it from hitting the diff cover. A broken track bar means no steering.

Why do you need control arms? Is the Jeep lifted? If they are needed, I prefer arms with Johnny Joints.

The Durango box is not an upgrade over stock. It uses bronze bushings rather than bearings. The only other difference is that it had a different turning ratio, whatever good that is.

The ProComp track bar might need additional bump stop extension to keep it from hitting the diff cover. A broken track bar means no steering.

Why do you need control arms? Is the Jeep lifted? If they are needed, I prefer arms with Johnny Joints.
The Jeep is lifted and it’s running 35 inch tires. They said I should swap the control arms but I had them way down the list to swap. Tie rod and drag link are first on my list.

I have had no impact on turning radius with the Durango steering box. I still hit my steering stops. It will turn farther if i let it.

The only upside to the retro fit is its center piston is larger. It was built to turn larger tires.

The wrangler engineers did not design the tj box to move 35 inch tires. While it does work and work just fine. It does shorten the life span.

There is a lot of misinformation about the upgrade. Most of the experienced people on the internet say you don't get any benefits unless you run 35 inch or above.

I installed mine because my tj box went out and there was not a big difference in cost. So i bought it.

My recommendation is wait till your box is going out, leaking, very sloppy. I mean very sloppy not just normal jeep sloppy. I find that upgrade a nice to have not a need to have.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
I have had no impact on turning radius with the Durango steering box. I still hit my steering stops. It will turn farther if i let it.

The only upside to the retro fit is its center piston is larger. It was built to turn larger tires.

The wrangler engineers did not design the tj box to move 35 inch tires. While it does work and work just fine. It does shorten the life span.

There is a lot of misinformation about the upgrade. Most of the experienced people on the internet say you don't get any benefits unless you run 35 inch or above.

I installed mine because my tj box went out and there was not a big difference in cost. So i bought it.

My recommendation is wait till your box is going out, leaking, very sloppy. I mean very sloppy not just normal jeep sloppy. I find that upgrade a nice to have not a need to have.
I am running 35s and I have a ton of play in my steering. However I have done some swaps and have some others planned. I’m doing 1 part at a time until all steering is up to par.

I am running 35s and I have a ton of play in my steering. However I have done some swaps and have some others planned. I’m doing 1 part at a time until all steering is up to par.
I feel your pain. I have a fair amount of play. I have replaced almost every thing. Its still there. For me its better then before the replacement.

I installed the crown hd steering kit. That helped the most.
Crown Automotive HDSTRGCR1 Heavy Duty... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VPUOSO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

But if you can afford the Currie i would go with that.

Reactions: Jon Wildes
I feel your pain. I have a fair amount of play. I have replaced almost every thing. Its still there. For me its better then before the replacement.

I installed the crown hd steering kit. That helped the most.
Crown Automotive HDSTRGCR1 Heavy Duty... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VPUOSO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

But if you can afford the Currie i would go with that.
I really wish I knew everything the guy before me did. I’m not even certain what size lift he has on it. It’s running 35s so I would guess at the very least 4” suspension. I don’t see that it has a body lift. Is there a way to tell what size lift is on it?

17” as it sits on the ground. So it’s a 5” lift maybe 6” if I’m picking up what you’re putting down.

E0980516-DAF7-47D6-BA2C-91A92E427230.jpeg

I've also read that not only will i need to regear if its not done i will need to upgrade my axles as well. i can run it as is in this department unless i want to off road it hard. its my daily driver right now so im not trying to go to far off the pavement. plus I've got so many projects to work on with it to get it right. once its not my sole mode of transport to work and school then ill start those big projects. thats what im thinking at least.

Last edited:
I really wish I knew everything the guy before me did. I’m not even certain what size lift he has on it. It’s running 35s so I would guess at the very least 4” suspension. I don’t see that it has a body lift. Is there a way to tell what size lift is on it?
Hey Jon, to know how much lift you have, the stock measures front 12” from bottom of coil springs to the top of the coil springs and including any spacer, but not including the coil spring isolator, and the rear measures 8”. Anything above that is your true lift.

FYI i ran across your build thread the other day and am frantically reading it. pretty good stuff. thanks for sharing it.

Reactions: jjvw
Think about the physics of that. With the same power steering pump providing the same volume spread out over that larger piston, will the larger piston generates more or less power?

Pressure is the the force of all the fluid particles averaged over the wall area of the container (cylinder and piston). To get the same pressure in two differently sized boxes you need to "compensate" for the larger area by injecting more fluid particles.

To actually realize more power from the Durango's larger piston a significantly larger and more powerful steering pump would also be required.

Last edited: