Suggestions for a louder exhaust system?

Speaking for myself *only*, I do indeed want to hear the engine - but I don't want to hear the exhaust that much if that makes any sense. I used to be able to hear the valve train in my old 240D Mercedes, and I could tell when it was "floating". My current 300SD has the same engine family, but I can't hear squat because of all the sound proofing, but there *is* an annoying resonator underneath the driver's seat which I really don't like the sound of. The old '63 GMC V6 we had as a boy didn't make all that much exhaust noise either, but you could hear the engine itself (and the lovely SM-420 transmission which sang to the driver!). When I was 17, my dad bought a '78 Chevy with a 454 - and its exhaust was reasonably quiet so you could hear the engine itself. They all talk to a driver who knows how to listen.

This Jeep is the very first inline 6 I've ever owned. The inline sixes my parents owned were gone before I was born, so I have no experience with one. I find it to live up to its reputation, very smooth! I can hear it up there under the hood just fine. The cars/trucks I grew up with didn't have tachs, so I'm used to shifting by ear, although I've found the tach can make me more precise.

Just my own .02 I always thought anything, ( JEEPS INCLUDED ) with loud exhaust / muffler that wasn't a muscle car or race car was a joke !! Usually the only vehicles that sound throaty & nice without sounding like shyt typically a 4 or 6cyl weed whacker buzzing or farting out the unburnt fuel down the road are BIG V- 8's. Everyone knows it can't get out of its own way, so why make it sound like it can ?
So my question is ....... WHY ???

Perhaps I should ask you that same question.

I see you have a Clarion sound system with Alpine amps and Kicker bass in your Jeep. WHY???

And WHY do you need Smitty side steps on your Jeep if you only have 31" tires crammed under it with no lift?

Last edited:
Perhaps I should ask you that same question.

I see you have a Clarion sound system with Alpine amps and Kicker bass in your Jeep. WHY???

And WHY do you need Smitty side steps on your Jeep if you only have 31" tires crammed under it with no lift?
Good question !
Answer : because thats they way it came !!! 😉

I cannot see for the life of me WHY somebody would ever put a touch screen in their Jeep (or any other vehicle for that matter). But - the answer is of course, "because they wanted to!".

Reactions: TJRick
Some of the commenters here are saying they want to be able to hear their engine to know how high it's revving. My TJ has an automatic, so that isn't important to me to know when to shift. That might be different if it had a stick.

That sounds like a made up reason to want a louder exhaust. The 4.0 sounds like a long fart. I can hear when to shift perfectly fine with my quiet exhaust.

Reactions: Zorba and OHFIVETJ
The GF is too short to get in and out easily
9FBFC6AC-ABAD-407A-A153-DE768986DA35.jpeg

problem solved

Good question !
Answer : because thats they way it came !!! 😉

You mean, you haven't modified your Jeep in any way from how you purchased it? :confused:

What kind of a "Jeepaholic" are you? Remove those ridiculous side steps and get yourself at least a 2" lift so your Armor-Alled tires don't get stuffed and hit the fender when you go over a speed bump. At least then you might look the part, even if your aren't!

Last edited:
You mean, you haven't modified your Jeep in any way from how you purchased it? :confused:

What kind of a "Jeepaholic" are you? Remove those ridiculous side steps and get yourself at least a 2" lift so your Armor-Alled tires don't get stuffed and hit the fender when you go over a speed bump. At least then you might look the part, even if your aren't!
Nothing hits EVER anywhere .... its a daily driver that doesnt need a lift to bounce down the road ...... all good just the way she is / 50,000 miles & drives like new !!!
I added grab handles 😁 & the kids need the steps ..... functional, came with upgraded sound system so you can hear music with the top down, functional, loud exhaust waste of money, non functional - hey look at me i got a loud muffler on a 6cyl box with zero performace that cant get out of its own way -small penis - stupid ...... so WTF ???????
Jeepaholic = I love driving & enjoying my QUIET jeep !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba
Nothing hits EVER .... its a daily driver that doesnt need a lift to bounce down the road ...... all good they way she is / 50,000 miles & drives new !!!
I added grab handles 😁 & the kids need the steps ..... functional, came with upgraded sound system so you can hear music with the top down, functional, loud exhaust waste of money, non functional - hey look at me i got a loud muffler on a 6cyl box with zero performace that cant get out of its own way -small penis - stupid ...... so WTF ???????
Jeepaholic = i love driving & enjoy my QUIET jeep !!!
I can clearly tell that you are trying to shame folks with loud exhaust while implying they must all want attention and a modified exhaust must mean they have a small penis who are insecure, ect, etc.

But your post reads as you being the insecure one who is seeking attention.

Who gives a shit why someone wants to modify their exhaust? Why does it matter to you why they want to do it? Everyone’s opinion of what a waste of money varies person to person.

Some people just want to hear their 4.0L while they accelerate. They enjoy the sound. Some folks love country music, it’s just what they enjoy. Same reason why some people enjoy tinted windows. Same reason why some people enjoy painted black wheels. Same reason why some people like mud tires. Same reason why some people like hard tops. They just do and it shouldnt call for you to attack them just becaaue you dont like it or dont agree with it, that’s immature.

And
I can clearly tell that you are trying to shame folks with loud exhaust while implying they must all want attention and a modified exhaust must mean they have a small penis who are insecure, ect, etc.

But your post reads as you being the insecure one who is seeking attention.

Who gives a shit why someone wants to modify their exhaust? Why does it matter to you why they want to do it? Everyone’s opinion of what a waste of money varies person to person.

Some people just want to hear their 4.0L while they accelerate. They enjoy the sound. Some folks love country music, it’s just what they enjoy. Same reason why some people enjoy tinted windows. Same reason why some people enjoy painted black wheels. Same reason why some people like mud tires. Same reason why some people like hard tops. They just do and it shouldnt call for you to attack them just becaaue you dont like it or dont agree with it, that’s immature.
I couldnt agree more / notice my reply started with my .02 - im allowed my opinion just like you.
No harm no foul !