Suggestions for improving spare tire tailgate mount

Thanks to all for the information. Got the full-sized spare today (31x10.5 R15). I have no issue with the tire being too far from the snubbers (I'm going to have to find a reason to use that word in everyday conversations now). Seems I have the opposite issue - seems to be too close. When I tighten the lugs fully, there is so much pressure on the lower snubber that, when I open the tailgate, it absolutely flies open and is causing the latch mechanism to catch and torque out of alignment.

At the point where the tire is decently snug without causing the torquing issue, the lugs aren't adequately tight and are a concern for vibrating off at some point while driving. Almost seems like the studs on the tire carrier are too short for this size of tire.

Sorry to resurrect this seemingly simple issue; my minimal engineering skills are failing me. Any ideas, suggestions or flat-out no-brainers

Once again I have learned something new from this forum!

Noticed a week or so ago that my tailgate seemed out of alignment and sagging a bit. Was thinking my 31" spare might have been too heavy for it. Thanks to @mrblaine and the rest of you, I will be looking in to my snubbery first light tomorrow to see if I need hockey pucks or washers.

Reactions: Sam Solo
Someone should make a lower profile tire carrier. Seems this would be much better than spacing the tire out with extended snubbers. Adjustable would be perfect so the tire fit right. I tried to figure out a way to cut down the stock one but couldn't figure out an easy way.

Hats off to @mrblaine; thanks for the simple yet effective suggestion. After a little experimenting with the number of washers on each stud, we have proper, equal pressure against all 3 snubs, a smooth-moving, untorqued tailgate and very secure spare.

Simple and inexpensive. Great group here. Thanks again to all for the input.

Reactions: Sam Solo
Someone should make a lower profile tire carrier. Seems this would be much better than spacing the tire out with extended snubbers. Adjustable would be perfect so the tire fit right. I tried to figure out a way to cut down the stock one but couldn't figure out an easy way.
A lower profile tire carrier would be nice. I used a box cutter and heater hose knife to cut down the nubs for spacers.
IMG_1797.JPG

I have cut them and reworked them. It is not fun, not easy, and when you are done, it looks like you hacked up a stock carrier and made it look like crap.

The problem with one that is adjustable is the angle of the lower section that is needed for proper bracing. It is angled. If you move the mount face in and out, the angle has to change.

Hats off to @mrblaine; thanks for the simple yet effective suggestion. After a little experimenting with the number of washers on each stud, we have proper, equal pressure against all 3 snubs, a smooth-moving, untorqued tailgate and very secure spare.

Simple and inexpensive. Great group here. Thanks again to all for the input.
Just make sure you have enough thread engagement on the lug nuts.

Reactions: DaveC