Suggestions on Chromoly Axles and Larger Brakes

Sfoote

Looking to upgrade my front axles, Dana 30 w/4:56 gears. Currently running 33's & looking to go to 35's. Wondering what route others have gone with what manufacturers to upgrade the axles & larger brakes.

If you go with one of the Vanco big brake kits from Black Magic Brakes, you won't be disappointed. I've had them on both my TJs, and the difference is astounding.

Reactions: taylormade73
X3 for Revolution Gear & Axle with their 1350 ujoint and 10 year no questions asked warranty. Just know that if you go this route you have to trim the unit bearing bolts so the bigger ujoint can clear them. And X5 to Black Magic Brakes.

X3 for Revolution Gear & Axle with their 1350 ujoint and 10 year no questions asked warranty. Just know that if you go this route you have to trim the unit bearing bolts so the bigger ujoint can clear them. And X5 to Black Magic Brakes.

Also, be aware that the larger 1350 u joint was tested with a stock lower ball joint. If your lower factory ball joint has been replaced with one that has a grease fitting, there will be a significant interference issue. I found this out the hard way and had to do considerable clearancing to make it work.

Reactions: tworley
I’ve also been shopping around for upgraded front axle shafts and east coast gear supply has the best price I’ve found so far.
https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-159906-dana-30-chromoly-axle-shaft-kit.html
Probably worth a look, and while I know that overbuilding is the safe bet I’m curious to know if there’s any reason why the ECGS wouldn’t hold up to 35’s on rocks? (Like typical rock crawling not full throttle in a full cage buggy). The ujoints are 760x instead of 1350 as some other options have but I keep hearing it’s good to have a ujoint as your weak link so you don’t mangle a pinion yoke or gear set. Driveshaft is a more accessible ujoint for repair but maybe this is a viable spot for that weak link also.

.... I’m curious to know if there’s any reason why the ECGS wouldn’t hold up to 35’s on rocks? (Like typical rock crawling not full throttle in a full cage buggy). The ujoints are 760x instead of 1350 as some other options ....

My F/R shafts are from Superior, the precursor to Revolution. The front uses 760x u joints. From what I gather, those along with a good cromoly shaft are quite sufficient for the vast majority since it is the yokes that stretch and fail before taking out the actual u joint.

I still think it's hard to beat Carbon OffRoad

15 Year Warranty, No Tire Size Limits.

My F/R shafts are from Superior, the precursor to Revolution. The front uses 760x u joints. From what I gather, those along with a good cromoly shaft are quite sufficient for the vast majority since it is the yokes that stretch and fail before taking out the actual u joint.
X2, and I'm running Superior too up front. USA made Revolution Gear chromoly in the rear, lifetime warranty.