Super 35 install

nondem

TJ Enthusiast
If I have a Dana 35 w/3.73 gears - doesn't the Super35 kit that comes w/bearings and seals need something changed in the carrier as well? I remember reading something along those lines but can't find it again.
If it's just axle shaft swaps w/new bearings for the outer ends of the axles I can handle that....if it involves re-setup of the gears then I can't. I think I remember the spline count being different which requires a new carrier(and also re-setup)

Just trying to confirm if I might be able to handle it given the parts. The cost is doable if I can do the labor.

Yes you need a replacement 30 spline carrier (locker) to match the 30 spline shafts in that kit. There are several 30 spline lockers that work like the Eaton E-Locker, ARB Air Locker, or Detroit Locker.

If you stay with 3.73 there's no gear setup required other than insuring the backlash is still correct.

Reactions: Woodrow and nondem
Yes you need a replacement 30 spline carrier (locker) to match the 30 spline shafts in that kit. There are several 30 spline lockers that work like the Eaton E-Locker, ARB Air Locker, or Detroit Locker.

Thanks...and if I'm going to regear it doesn't make sense to do all that w/the 3.73s and do it again when I actually regear. That's why I keep coming back to the Dana 44 swap.

Thanks...and if I'm going to regear it doesn't make sense to do all that w/the 3.73s and do it again when I actually regear. That's why I keep coming back to the Dana 44 swap.
I added more information above on the gear install issue. You can reuse your existing gears.

Reactions: Woodrow

If you stay with 3.73 there's no gear setup required other than insuring the backlash is still correct.

I just did this (Trutrac w/ 27 spline to e-locker w/RGA 30 spline). I kept my old (5K mi) 4.11 Yukon gears. We did need to re-shim the carrier slightly (moved it over .002", I think). Its also worth noting the carrier bearings have a larger inner diameter than stock Dana 35. The outer shaft bearings are the same size as stock.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford