BlueC

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Over the winter of '22-'23, I had an issue that forced me to go ahead with a Super35 install, so I thought I'd post a cost breakdown for anyone looking into a Super35 setup. After looking for a Dana 44 for about a year and doing the math, I decided a Super35 setup was the most cost effective route for me. I did all labor myself and had all but one tool required, and I reused my existing ring & pinion.

For my 30 spline axles I went with this kit https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod..._tj_cherokee_xj_30_spline_upgrade_super35_kit which is currently listed at $353.99 + tax & shipping. I picked mine up on a Black Friday sale for $283 shipped.

For my locker I went with an Eaton E-Locker https://www.quadratec.com/products/16100_1014_07.htm which is currently advertised at $1,272.99 + tax & shipping, then you'll have to add in bearings and shim pack which is probably another $50 at somewhere like Quadratec. I purchased mine, including Timken bearings and shim pack, from West Coast Differential for $1,267.67 to my door. I highly recommend WCD.

My actual cost for a Super35 kit (axles, bearings, seals, shims, carrier) was $1,550.67. Add in 2qt of gear oil (~$20), a few cans of brake clean (~$10), a LubeLocker gasket (not required ~$20), and new diff cover (mine was damaged, ~$125). New axle C-clips of an Eaton specified thickness, Dorman Part #5311 ~$15.
My rough total was $1,750
. Obviously, buying straight from someone like Quadratec would run that price up several hundred dollars.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Last edited:
Did you not have to regear?

No. I'm running 4.10s and that's ok for me on 33s. Simply just installed my existing gear on the new carrier and set backlash. I had no real reason to tear into the front axle too at that time. When I do work on the front axle, I'll be regearing then.

Last edited:
Over the winter of '22-'23, I had an issue that forced me to go ahead with a Super35 install https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/rear-differential-pin-fell-out.67793/, so I thought I'd post a cost breakdown for anyone looking into a Super35 setup. After looking for a Dana 44 for about a year and doing the math, I decided a Super35 setup was the most cost effective route for me. I did all labor myself and had all but one tool required, and I used my existing ring & pinion.

For my 30 spline axles I went with this kit https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod..._tj_cherokee_xj_30_spline_upgrade_super35_kit which is currently listed at $353.99 + tax & shipping. I picked mine up on a Black Friday sale for $283 shipped.

For my locker I went with an Eaton E-Locker https://www.quadratec.com/products/16100_1014_07.htm which is currently advertised at $1,272.99 + tax & shipping, then you'll have to add in bearings and shim pack which is probably another $50 at somewhere like Quadratec. I purchased mine, including Timken bearings and shim pack, from West Coast Differential for $1,267.67 to my door. I highly recommend WCD.

My actual cost for a Super35 kit (axles, bearings, seals, shims, carrier) was $1,550.67. Add in 2qt of gear oil (~$20), a few cans of brake clean (~$10), a LubeLocker gasket (not required ~$20), and new diff cover (mine was damaged, ~$125). My rough total was $1,725. Obviously, buying straight from someone like Quadratec would run that price up several hundred dollars.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Same. I also did RGA super 35 shafts and e-locker on 33s with retention of my 4.10 gears). Doing this myself and using West Coast Differential resulted in about the same cost. They were good to work with and cheaper than other sources by a couple of hundred bucks.

... using West Coast Differential resulted in about the same cost. They were good to work with and cheaper than other sources by a couple of hundred bucks.

I wasn't in a hurry, so I had time to shop around. I found it funny that East Coast Gear Supply, a place within a two hour drive from me, quoted about $250 more than WCD shipping the same parts across the country. I talked with Rusty Lile at WCD a couple of times and have nothing but good things to say. I'll definitely be using WCD in the future.

How are you liking the E-Locker?

If I ever regear, I think I’d like to go with an Eaton E-Lockers.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
How are you liking the E-Locker?

If I ever regear, I think I’d like to go with an Eaton E-Lockers.

I like it. I haven't had a chance to test it other than muddy trail riding on my uncle's land, but it's very convenient. It's like a light switch, and half the time I don't stop before I flip it (crawling speeds). I was letting Will drive me around in a field last week (1st gear idling). He decided it was in our best interest to drive through a ditch and when we started to spin I just flipped the switch and it locked up with zero noise or hesitation. I recommend it. When I get to doing the front, I'll be deciding between another E-locker or Trutrac.

Glad to see WCD taking care of you all. They have been a go to for me for the last 20 years and have always been top notch. I have used a lot of their gears and they have a decent line of shafts as well that got me out of a bind a few times when everyone else was out of stock.

Reactions: Woodrow and BlueC
No. I'm running 4.10s and that's ok for me on 33s. Simply just installed my existing gear on the new carrier and set backlash. I had no real reason to tear into the front axle too at that time. When I do work on the front axle, I'll be regearing then.

Ok, thanks for posting this thread, I too am considering the super 35 upgrade and an trying to understand the full list of needed parts and the cost.

So if I'm planning to regear at the same time, is the only thing I'd need to add to the list you provided the appropriate ring and pinion gears that I want like this RGA package?

https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod...ana_35dana_30_373_513_ratio_frontrear_wmaster

So if I'm planning to regear at the same time, is the only thing I'd need to add to the list you provided the appropriate ring and pinion gears that I want like this RGA package?

Yes and no. That kit looks like it takes care of the gears, pinion bearings and seals, but you may need a new front carrier/locker too, depending on what your current gears are. I’d also add in new bearings and seals for the front carrier. If you're going to change up the front differential, now is the time to do it.

Make sure you understand a Super35 requires specific axles, carrier/locker, carrier bearings, races and shims. All other parts are stock replacement items.

Yes and no. That kit looks like it takes care of the gears, pinion bearings and seals, but you may need a new front carrier/locker too, depending on what your current gears are. I’d also add in new bearings and seals for the front carrier. If you're going to change up the front differential, now is the time to do it.

Make sure you understand a Super35 requires specific axles, carrier/locker, carrier bearings, races and shims. All other parts are stock replacement items.
Sorry for the confusion, your right, that link was for both front and rear axle gears, but my question is specific to the rear axle only, and whether there are any additional components that need to be purchased to upgrade my Dana 35 to 30 spline axles, add a selectable locker, and regear to whichever ratio I decide on (likely 4.88).

my question is specific to the rear axle only, and whether there are any additional components that need to be purchased to upgrade my Dana 35 to 30 spline axles

If you purchase the things I laid out, plus your gear kit, you'll be set with the rear. The kit from Revolution takes care of the 30 spline axles and new wheel bearings with seals. https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod..._tj_cherokee_xj_30_spline_upgrade_super35_kit I suggest you get in touch with West Coast Differential about a 30 spline locker and bearings/races/shims. After that the only things left are the gears, pinion bearings and seals.

Edit; there was one part that I had to find, and it was more difficult that it should have been. Eaton's instructions say Dana 35 C-clips came in two thicknesses, but the E-locker has to have the thinner one. My factory 35 C-clips were the thicker set, so I had to source some from the parts stores, which was very difficult. I wound up using Dorman part #5311

Last edited:
Reactions: GregBelleville
I have an Eaton True Trac with the correct gearing in the rear but want to upgrade to 35s with a Super35 and locker do I reuse my current gears.