WyattCrafty1

Hey everyone! I've got a TJ that I'm tearing into quite a bit here at home to get the good parts out of, as it's going to scrap, and have the fenders, hood, and pretty much everything in the engine bay taken out. Working on removing the engine.

I looked at the springs on the TJ I'm buying to swap stuff into (bad engine, decent price, good frame), and they were flaking with rust. The springs on the TJ I have in the garage right now with a pretty much gone frame are pretty good, though they are lift springs. I was going to lift it eventually either way, but I figured it was safer to just do it now, as to avoid riding on rusted out springs. It was done improperly, and I don't know what all I need. The front looked to be roughly 3.5" of lift, and still had mostly stock components. I didn't measure the rear springs yet. I have an SYE on order, and came here to ask what all else I'd need? The new one is stock. Pictures aren't great, but they give you a rough idea of how it is. They were taken as I was taking it apart.

20231216_003723.jpg

20231216_003739.jpg

20231215_180130.jpg

This is a massive question, just FYI.

1. Springs and a 3.5 inch lift, usually (not always) is a pretty big investment setup wise.

-SYE
-will need adjustable control arms. I got all 8, but you can budget buy and do just uppers, but that’s not a good idea to me.
-new rear Double Cardan drive Shaft.
-adjustable track bars to get the tires centered again
-assuming new tires to fit lift
-most likely bump stops
Heavier tires and lift, I would look at beefier steering tie rod at minimum, possibly whole drag link and tie rod

Those are the things that come to mind first.

Depends on your SYE, if you got a super short you might need a convert to digital SpeedoHealer

Hey everyone! I've got a TJ that I'm tearing into quite a bit here at home to get the good parts out of, as it's going to scrap, and have the fenders, hood, and pretty much everything in the engine bay taken out. Working on removing the engine.

I looked at the springs on the TJ I'm buying to swap stuff into (bad engine, decent price, good frame), and they were flaking with rust. The springs on the TJ I have in the garage right now with a pretty much gone frame are pretty good, though they are lift springs. I was going to lift it eventually either way, but I figured it was safer to just do it now, as to avoid riding on rusted out springs. It was done improperly, and I don't know what all I need. The front looked to be roughly 3.5" of lift, and still had mostly stock components. I didn't measure the rear springs yet. I have an SYE on order, and came here to ask what all else I'd need? The new one is stock. Pictures aren't great, but they give you a rough idea of how it is. They were taken as I was taking it

I looked at the springs on the TJ I'm buying to swap stuff into (bad engine, decent price, good frame), and they were flaking with rust. The springs on the TJ I have in the garage right now with a pretty much gone frame are pretty good, though they are lift springs. I was going to lift it eventually either way, but I figured it was safer to just do it now, as to avoid riding on rusted out springs. It was done improperly, and I don't know what all I need. The front looked to be roughly 3.5" of lift, and still had mostly stock components. I didn't measure the rear springs yet. I have an SYE on order, and came here to ask what all else I'd need? The new one is stock. Pictures aren't great, but they give you a rough idea of how it is. They were taken as I was taking it apart.

View attachment 483243

View attachment 483244

View attachment 483245

With a 2” lift you can usually get away with minimal mods like I did, but with almost 4”, it gets more involved. Track bars, control arms, shocks. Another thing to consider: if the shocks on the rear don’t have a bar pin eliminator or are still using the rivnut, those nuts will likely spin out and you’ll have to cut a hole in the tub to get them out easier or grind the head of the bolt off