Sway Bar Blocking Winch Install

wchaza67

Supporting Member
Hey all. My build on my '02 TJ is getting close to being done but my sway bar is blocking my winch install.

I'm sure many of you have run into this and figured it out so before I spin my wheels spending time trying to google options, I figured I'd start here.

Here are pics of my build so far, with close-up of the issue:

Thanks!
(BTW - having issues trying to insert pics... for some reason it's wanting to insert multiples of the same pic - sorry!)
JeepFront01_20211009.png
JeepBack01_20211009.png

JeepFront01_20211009.png
JeepFront02_20211009.png

JeepFront01_20211009.png

Last edited:
I don’t know what bumper that is, but it looks to assume you’re running an Antirock or Swayloc, instead of the factory swaybar.

However since the holes are slotted, it may allow you to slide the winch forward on the winch plate to avoid that contact. Are you seeing interference with the winch toward the front of those slots?

It's a Steinjager bumper. And, sadly, no. The winch won't slide forward it takes up that whole space, and it's the smallest WARN I could find. I don't know what sway bar it is, the Jeep came with it, but if it wasn't there, the winch would drop right in.

It's a Steinjager bumper. And, sadly, no. The winch won't slide forward it takes up that whole space, and it's the smallest WARN I could find. I don't know what sway bar it is, the Jeep came with it, but if it wasn't there, the winch would drop right in.
That's a factory sway bar. And that's a whole bunch of green.

Reactions: primetime4
I don't know how much clearance he needs, but this got me to thinking. Lets say you only needed 1/2 to 1 inch of clearance to clear the factory sway bar. Could you use a couple pieces of metal (like flat bar with holds drilled in it) between the bumper and winch with some longer bolts? Assuming it would work with the fairlead mount too.

Would that be considered a safe thing to do? Could it cause too much leverage on the mounting point?

I'm assuming that the front bumper was designed to mount that far back. My winch plate mounts only using the front/most forward swaybar mount holes. Then uses spacers for rear swaybar mount bolts.

I'm assuming that the front bumper was designed to mount that far back. My winch plate mounts only using the front/most forward swaybar mount holes. Then uses spacers for rear swaybar mount bolts.
Hmmm interesting approach. Thanks! I it possible to find a swaybar that goes UNDER the bumper, I'm wondering?

Hmmm interesting approach. Thanks! I it possible to find a swaybar that goes UNDER the bumper, I'm wondering?
Yes, the Antirock from Rock Jock does. There are also raised winch mounts designed to fit over the top of the factory antiswaybar.

Last edited:
I can't tell from your pics because of bad eyes looking at a phone screen. My winch plate is flat so I needed to take off my shorty bumper, mount the plate and winch to the bumper with two of the bolts, then bolt on the bumper. The solution for my Jeep is a raised winch plate.