Sway Bar Whip Lash?

mattcogdell

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just got around to catching up on last week’s Tech Talk with Tony at Genright Offroad. Towards the end of the 35min mark, he goes into describing what he calls sway bar whip lash. This something I’ve never heard of previously. Is this an actual issue, google turned up nothing. Any thoughts?

Below is the link.

An antisway bar works to keep the axle and frame/body parallel to each other. With a stock sway bar, it's the difference between connected and not connected when driving through a rough road. When connected, the frame/body will closely follow the axle as it articulates with the terrain. The result for the occupants is to be tossed side to side far more than is the antisway bar was disconnected.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
An antisway bar works to keep the axle and frame/body parallel to each other. With a stock sway bar, it's the difference between connected and not connected when driving through a rough road. When connected, the frame/body will closely follow the axle as it articulates with the terrain. The result for the occupants is to be tossed side to side far more than is the antisway bar was disconnected.
And for this reason the rear antirock shines with the mid arm vs the stock bar and mid arm?

And for this reason the rear antirock shines with the mid arm vs the stock bar and mid arm?

The 3/4 links mid arm increases body roll compared to the factory 5 links. With either setup, the ultimate goal is to control the movement with shocks and sway bars.

I get the sense that Genright places a far greater emphasis on shock valving to address body roll than they do with sway bars.

The 3/4 links mid arm increases body roll compared to the factory 5 links. With either setup, the ultimate goal is to control the movement with shocks and sway bars.

I get the sense that Genright places a far greater emphasis on shock valving to address body roll than they do with sway bars.
My thoughts exactly.

Some of ya'll need to drive a JK Rubi with the in cab disconnect on the front sway bar. The difference in ride quality on rough roads is night and day.

Some of ya'll need to drive a JK Rubi with the in cab disconnect on the front sway bar. The difference in ride quality on rough roads is night and day.
Following my buddy’s Jk looks like he’s wiggling and wobbling all the time when disconnected and moving.

I remember from my early days with DIY disconnects. Any time I knew I was going to stay on gravel for a while, I would pull the pins on the front purely for the comfort. Sometimes it would be several days before I reconnected!

I know it’s a different animal for the most part, but I had a 79 Cherokee (full size) that came factory without sway bars. Yes it had a bit of roll, but was smoother than one with sway bars, and would flex and crawl like a spider in the rocks.

in contrast, the difference between the ride and handling of my JT and the Canyon I traded for the JT is immense too. The canyon was coil froJT, leaf rear, independent front and solid rear... but only had a front sway. The JT is coils, solid axles, and front/rear sways and the ride is way better. Both trucks handle about the same, but Canyon was ass-happy on corners, especially in the rain.