SYE Question

dan lee

TJ Addiction
Supporting Member
So I've been away for a while, recently picked up a 2004 LJ, it came with a 4" lift, has the drop kit on the transferase, can I get rid of this TC drop if I install a SYE kit and new drive shaft? If so, any recommendations on a kit and rear drive line?
Thinking about doing it myself. Is it easier to pull the TC case, or do it underneath the vehicle? Thanks

Reactions: JMT
Getting rid of the TC drop means you have to address how to get the driveline close to its design parameters to avoid vibrations and premature wear of components like u-joints. Most go with a SLE (suggest products by JB supershort or Advanced Adaptors), new double-carden driveshaft (suggest products by Tom Woods or Adams), and adjustable rear control arms so that you can adjust the pinion angle correctly for the new type of drive shaft. I don't have a suggestion on control arms because it is totally driven by how you use the jeep and your budget - I went with RockJock, but they are expensive. As for installing the SLE, it is easily done with the TC in place IF you have a lifted jeep and a nice concrete pad to work on - the lift just gives you lots of room to work underneath. If you are stock height, I would pull the TC and do it on a work bench, unless you just like laying on the ground doing Jeep yoga.

Reactions: dan lee
The LJ with the longer wheel base you could get away with a regular SYE. But the longer driveshaft you can get, the easier it will be on the operating angle, especially if you end up installing a belly up skid.

I've always pushed JB conversions super short SYE. 2" shorter than the Advance Adapters SYE. However to use a supershort you would need to factor in a speedo healer (Blue Monkey or others). You're also going to need adjustable control arms to dial in the pinion angle. Double adjustable Rock Jock control arms would be your best option and would make dialing in the pinion angle easier than single adjustable arms. JB conversions also has a 1350 ujoint version or the 1330.

Not sure where you are at in CO but if you are in the Denver area Bills Driveshaft in Englewood has awesome customer support and can build you a double cardan driveshaft. My other suggestion would be a Tom Wood driveshaft.

Installing a SYE on a work bench or under the jeep is a matter of personal preference I think. I did my JB SYE underneath the jeep, but I also have a separate cross member holding the tcase up and not a floor jack.