Synthetic winch rope install

Had I not owned a shop that did commercial sewing of truck tarps and whatnot, I likely wouldn't have.
Did your machines use those long bobbins? They've been obsolete in domestic machines for three quarters of a century - but I dunno about industrials.

I thought you had to make sure you have a roller fairlead that didn’t let the synthetic rope get pinched in the corners? (And not all rollers were like that.)

I thought you had to make sure you have a roller fairlead that didn’t let the synthetic rope get pinched in the corners? (And not all rollers were like that.)
Wouldn't it pinch a steel rope as well? I haven't seen too many but those I have seen don't have any pinch points. As the rope crosses the corner it simply passes from one roller to the other.

Reactions: Apparition
Ah. Well fuck you must know everything there is to know. the guys at big foot winch ropes don’t know dog shit.
Once upon a time there was a rope discussion on Pirate. One of the rope vendors on there who had started machining his own hawse fairleads got involved. He stated that hawse were better for synthetic than rollers. I knew him from events and sold him product from time to time so I called him up.
Howdy, I have an awesome idea for a product for you. Take a snatch block and machine it up so you can just bolt the aluminum pulley to one of the side plates. That way you don't have to come up with an axle or bearing for the pulley to turn on, just a fixed pulley, rope slides over it, cheap, strong, simple

He says, "well that's a stupid fucking idea, everyone knows the pulley has to turn or it is going to be bad for the rope".

Oh really? I just read that you think dragging a synthetic rope over a rounded edge is better for it than a pulley, what's the problem?

Silence. More silence.

You still there?

Yeah, I'm here.

Point is, we use hawse because they are a solution, they are not the best, but they work mostly and the damage isn't that high so we get by so please stop telling folks that they are better or required.

okay, bye.

Reactions: srimes and Zorba
Nope, only a poorly designed roller has that issue. Another of those "not all are the same" things. There are some rollers that have the sides too far out which leaves the support tabs more easily gotten into. That came up in a discussion on Jeep Forum many years ago due to some guy who kept cutting his steel cable when it got up in the corners. When it showed a pic, it was pretty obvious that it would do it easily.

Also it isn't pinching. On high angle pulls, the line gets into the corner against the sharp edge of the support tab and that cuts it.
Scale model but shows the problem. There is a lot of exposed tab area that will shred steel or synthetic under load.

1633017151442.png

This is better where the potential for dragging the line across the edges is reduced.

1633017317148.png

So I’ve got the silver fairlead that’s in mrblaine’s last photo. Currently have. 9500 Smittybilt winch with steel cable. 1) do I put cheap o Amazon rope on it??… 2) 85’ or 100‘ of rope….3) change to a different fair lead?

3) No expert here, but I would not use that since the drivers side is chewed up. That looks like it will damage a synthetic line.

Here’s what it looks like. Picture worth at least 100 words

View attachment 280429

View attachment 280430
Since your skin is far more fragile than the synthetic line, simply push against the roller with your hand and roll it with a lot of force. Did you cut yourself on the roller? If the answer is no, synthetic will be fine. If the answer is yes, smooth down the rough bits that did the damage or replace the roller/fairlead.

In case it matters- my rig in JV, Oct. of 2000. Or put another way, I've been fucking with this stuff 21 years. How long has Big Foot been in business?

http://www.justaddrocks.com/Johnson_Valley_OHV/images_sh/dscn1691.jpg
1633023734648.png