T Case nutsert question

Winks42

TJ Enthusiast
So I took my skid plate off a couple months ago after I bought it to diagnose my transmission leak and also clean it. Well I stripped the nutserts pretty good and It was a PITA trying to screw the bolts back in because there were barely any threads left, I am actually running 2 bolts on one side as I could not get one in. So my problem is PO welded a piece of metal onto the frame for drop and Im assuming the only way to remove and replace the nutserts would be to cut the metal spacer off? I was thinking I can just grind it off with a wheel and then reuse the piece of metal for the drop minus the weld? or would I have to weld it back?

https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.c...-2-13-Nutserts-87-02-Jeep-YJ-TJ-04-NSK-04.htmIm pretty sure this is the right kit, it is a 1" drop but the threads in that kit look longer than the ones I have in right now, But that shouldn't matter too much.

IMG_524448.jpg

The 1" spacer could be reused, no need to weld it back in place.

I'm unclear if you have another question or not?

The 1" spacer could be reused, no need to weld it back in place.

I'm unclear if you have another question or not?
yea that was my main question if I would have to weld it back or not, I guess just what would be the best way of cutting through the weld

yea that was my main question if I would have to weld it back or not, I guess just what would be the best way of cutting through the weld
In your neck of the woods I would clean everything up and do a thorough paint job before reassembly just to fight corrosion.

Also there are some good threads on here on how to deal with nutserts if you search.

Reactions: DickD1911
So I took my skid plate off a couple months ago after I bought it to diagnose my transmission leak and also clean it. Well I stripped the nutserts pretty good and It was a PITA trying to screw the bolts back in because there were barely any threads left, I am actually running 2 bolts on one side as I could not get one in. So my problem is PO welded a piece of metal onto the frame for drop and Im assuming the only way to remove and replace the nutserts would be to cut the metal spacer off? I was thinking I can just grind it off with a wheel and then reuse the piece of metal for the drop minus the weld? or would I have to weld it back?

https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.c...-2-13-Nutserts-87-02-Jeep-YJ-TJ-04-NSK-04.htmIm pretty sure this is the right kit, it is a 1" drop but the threads in that kit look longer than the ones I have in right now, But that shouldn't matter too much.

View attachment 261632
Cut off with a cutting wheel, grind smooth, prep, paint, re-install if needed. No weld necessary.

Reactions: Winks42 and SvtLdr