Tailgate security, hi-lift jack, and headlights

SeismicWhales

Has anybody gotten anything for tailgate security? There's a Tuffy one that I'm considering getting: https://www.extremeterrain.com/tuffy-tailgate-security-enclosure-9706-tj.html

I like to leave a bag with some jumper cables, tire plugs and now that I have one, a bottle jack and a tire iron since my Jeep didn't come with the OEM ones when I bought it.

I also have a Hi-Lift jack that came with the Jeep when I bought it. I don't really ever plan on using it, so is it better to toss that into the garage/basement or put it back onto the front bumper where it was when I got it.

Also, can someone who has Trucklite LED headlights or anything else that illuminates a pretty good area post pics of what they look like at night? I don't know the brand of lights my Jeep has on it but honestly, I really think they suck. I can't comfortably see more than like 10ft in front of my car and it looks like they're not even on when I drive under a streetlamp or I'm next to another car. I have flashlights that are brighter and can throw further than my headlights lol. Or would auxiliary driving lights be a better choice than getting new headlights?

I removed my back seat and have been thinking about something to build or maybe buy for security so I really can't help there.

As for the Hi-Lift jack, while they can help in a lot of ways, the risk of serious injury when things go wrong might be higher than not wearing a seat belt and they seem like a "hey look what I got" when mounted anywhere on the front. Due to this, not planning on ever using it is pretty much a good idea and leaving it in the garage is even better.

Someone put some Hella headlights on my TJ before I bought it, they seem to work great.
IMG_20181111_150741293.jpg

and look pretty much like the good old sealed beams.
IMG_20181111_150745681_HDR.jpg

Reactions: billiebob
I removed my back seat and have been thinking about something to build or maybe buy for security so I really can't help there.

As for the Hi-Lift jack, while they can help in a lot of ways, the risk of serious injury when things go wrong might be higher than not wearing a seat belt and they seem like a "hey look what I got" when mounted anywhere on the front. Due to this, not planning on ever using it is pretty much a good idea and leaving it in the garage is even better.

Someone put some Hella headlights on my TJ before I bought it, they seem to work great.
View attachment 88099

and look pretty much like the good old sealed beams.
View attachment 88098
Those look nice. Are they LED or a bulb?

I use my high lift but many do not and many do not LIKE them. IMO it shouldn't be mounted to the front bumper. I have seen a few that were ran into a tree or rock and bent the jack. But if you are not going to use it then WHY carry it? A high lift isn't light so I'd leave it home unless you plan on using it.

I'm a fan of the rear enclosure as I like a place to store stuff also. Tuff has some of the best stuff on the market as far as I am concerned. Good luck.

I use my high lift but many do not and many do not LIKE them. IMO it shouldn't be mounted to the front bumper. I have seen a few that were ran into a tree or rock and bent the jack. But if you are not going to use it then WHY carry it? A high lift isn't light so I'd leave it home unless you plan on using it.

I'm a fan of the rear enclosure as I like a place to store stuff also. Tuff has some of the best stuff on the market as far as I am concerned. Good luck.

My Hi-Lift was mounted to the front bumper when I bought it. It looked weird up there and was exposed to the elements so it had a little rust on it. So far I've just kept it in the back of my Jeep secured to the roll cage right above the trunk since I didn't have any other jacks I could use if I needed one until last night when I got one at Harbor Freight. I think I'll probably leave it in my Jeep until I take my hard-top off and them store it in the garage or something. I'd like to learn how to use it but have no idea where I can start. I also need to learn how to use my winch too lol.

There's a couple of stores in my area that carries the Bestop InstaTrunk (https://www.bestop.com/jeep/2001/wrangler/instatrunk/) so I want to go check that out on Monday and see how it looks and then I'll either get that one or the Tuffy one.

They make a cover for the jack mechanism that helps to keep it dry. I always shoot mine with some spray lubricant before I use mine.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92200_9102.htm

The best way to learn how to use both items is to find a local 4x4 club and join them. Then go on some runs and watch, ask questions, listen and learn.

I like Tuffy over the BesTop for the quality. It's like Tuffy or Smittybuilt stuff. But I own a lot of Tuffy products in my TJ.

Reactions: alittleoff
I've had my wrist snapped because I wasn't paying attention to what I doing. I have seen a guy get hit in the jaw like in the video. The big issue in the video is that the jack wasn't lubed and that is why he kept having to push on the mechanism. Just like doing proper maintenance on your Jeep is need you have to do the same with your recovery
equipment.

I don't remember when I learned to use one but I have carried a high lift on my 4x4 rigs since the 80's and carry one on my SXS also. One thing to remember, if you have a flexy suspension you need to carry a short ratchet strap to cinch off your suspension if you are trying to change a tire.

Reactions: alittleoff
Tuffy makes great products.

On lights, I like any halogen sealed beam. Definitely the best buy.

On the HighLift. Screw all the opinions. WCB OHSA all hate them. And a lot of businesses, a few States and Provinces have banned them from government vehicles. But of course no 4 wheeler has ever been injured by a high lift jack.

I've had my wrist snapped because I wasn't paying attention to what I doing. I have seen a guy get hit in the jaw like in the video. The big issue in the video is that the jack wasn't lubed and that is why he kept having to push on the mechanism. Just like doing proper maintenance on your Jeep is need you have to do the same with your recovery equipment.

Sorry to hear about your wrist.

The rest of your post is far better to find out than just watching the video. I didn't really know why it happened.

My Hi-Lift was mounted to the front bumper when I bought it. It looked weird up there and was exposed to the elements so it had a little rust on it. So far I've just kept it in the back of my Jeep secured to the roll cage right above the trunk since I didn't have any other jacks I could use if I needed one until last night when I got one at Harbor Freight. I think I'll probably leave it in my Jeep until I take my hard-top off and them store it in the garage or something. I'd like to learn how to use it but have no idea where I can start. I also need to learn how to use my winch too lol.

You can buy lockable mounts so you can leave it in the Jeep even with the top off.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=223281310613
For mounts like this. I have these on my SXS for a 36" High Lift

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CEODQI/?tag=wranglerorg-20{creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584413735693687&psc=1

And this is how I carry my high lift on my TJ

IMGP1842.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
You can buy lockable mounts so you can leave it in the Jeep even with the top off.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=223281310613
For mounts like this. I have these on my SXS for a 36" High Lift

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CEODQI/?tag=wranglerorg-20{creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584413735693687&psc=1

And this is how I carry my high lift on my TJ

View attachment 88233

Those adjustable tube mounts would be better then the U-bolts I have now. Those would work perfectly with the locking knob if I want to keep it in my Jeep. I guess having a Hi-Lift and a Bottle Jack lift both in the jeep is never a bad idea.

This (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CMHNY2/?tag=wranglerorg-20 ) is what I have on the front bumper. While it looks cool I don't like it being exposed to the elements. Keeping it inside would be great. I'll have to see if I can mount these on the rear wheel wells above the trunk. That would be cool.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
These are made for a JK but I don't know why they wouldn't work in a TJ also?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071HBVMH1/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Looking through the questions and answers section on that product the manufacturer says they can be used in a TJ as long as the hard/soft top is off. I think I'll just see if I can use what I have first before getting something like that though. I'll add it to my list of stuff for my Jeep. It gets bigger every time I come here.

Reactions: Wildman
I didn't search a lot but I know that there are some made for TJ's that are suppose to work with a hardtop or soft top. I have too much junk in my way to get one mounted on my roll cage. Good luck.

Does anyone have any experience with those jack mounts that are on the roll cage?

Assuming that I would want to carry one, I am curious how easy/diffucult it is to get in and out with the soft top in place (I understand of course that I would have to unzip the rear window some, for access)

Does anyone have any experience with those jack mounts that are on the roll cage?

Assuming that I would want to carry one, I am curious how easy/difficult it is to get in and out with the soft top in place (I understand of course that I would have to unzip the rear window some, for access)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GkSNUcLrE1dX773F6
That's what I'm currently using to secure my Hi-Lift for now. It works pretty well. The Hi-Lift doesn't bang around too much unless I'm driving on a super bumpy road. I can get it out and in pretty easily. It's not something I would use to secure my Hi-Lift if I didn't have a hardtop on though.