Tailgate Table Project

You'll be fending off people wanting to buy your stuff till the end. :)
I often think that I should just stop posting about my projects. So far about four dozen of my designs have been put into production (or are about to be) by 7 different companies, so I suppose it's reasonable for people to think projects that I post are going to be available, but maybe I should just stop.

I often think that I should just stop posting about my projects. So far about four dozen of my designs have been put into production (or are about to be) by 7 different companies, so I suppose it's reasonable for people to think projects that I post are going to be available, but maybe I should just stop.

We enjoy seeing what you do. I'm not sure how to get around the problem of others wanting to buy what you make. It's a good problem to have, but I see where it is a tiring one that conflicts with your willingness to share. Again, we enjoy seeing what you do.

Last edited:
Maybe people would enjoy seeing this :)...

I posted earlier in this thread about how I make metal Molle panels in my home workshop, here's a video that shows another part of my process - I often make models of my designs to verify operation or aesthetics before I start construction. In the case of this table, I wanted to make sure the design would operate as intended, so here's a model I made by printing out the design drawings in small scale...

Towards the end of the video you might notice that for a few seconds I'm holding the Molle panel out horizontally - that's part of the design I haven't implemented yet - brackets to support the Molle panel horizontally so it could serve to double the size of the table surface if necessary.

Reactions: jjvw
My son wants a tailgate table in his Jeep so we installed it this morning (sorry it's not a TJ, but the table works the same on a TJ tailgate :)).

TableInJK2_zpscpbmvqkq.jpg

TableInJK1_zps6yaoxmgq.jpg

Had to do it first thing because Robert wanted to test it by cooking his breakfast.

RobertBreakfast1_zpsts15nozs.jpg

He made fried eggs and toast.

RobertBreakfast2_zpsrelrcgss.jpg

My hobby is design. I design things I think will be different, creative and useful just because I enjoy the design process. I did this table because I looked at the tables on the market and it seemed to me that a better, more useful design was possible, so I designed this one and built a proof-of-concept prototype. I'm very happy with how the design worked out.
Have you happened to design any heavy duty tailgate hinges? I would love a set to help the tailgate support a 33" tire but the only ones I see are the Morryde ones and they're pricey. I notice you have some nice looking hinges on the Jeep in your photos so I thought I'd ask.

Have you happened to design any heavy duty tailgate hinges? I would love a set to help the tailgate support a 33" tire but the only ones I see are the Morryde ones and they're pricey. I notice you have some nice looking hinges on the Jeep in your photos so I thought I'd ask.
Yes, I have designed heavy duty tailgate hinges... I designed the MORyde hinges you mentioned :).

The hinges on the JK are the JK version of the same hinges, along with the JK tailgate reinforcement. I also designed the Exogate/MORryde TJ tailgate reinforcement.

Reactions: Fonz54
Yes, I have designed heavy duty tailgate hinges... I designed the MORyde hinges you mentioned :).

The hinges on the JK are the JK version of the same hinges, along with the JK tailgate reinforcement. I also designed the Exogate/MORryde TJ tailgate reinforcement.
Interesting! What are your thoughts on the hinges alone supporting a 33" spare mounted to the tailgate?

Interesting! What are your thoughts on the hinges alone supporting a 33" spare mounted to the tailgate?
You'll find people who run 33's and even larger with just the MORryde hinges, but you'll also find people who say they've been carrying a 35 on their stock tailgate hinges for years with no problem. There are a wide range of opinions out there.

I believe the factory tailgate is just adequate for the weight of a stock spare so if it's a heavy 33 (6-8 ply), I personally would want to also have a tailgate reinforcement on there in addition to the HD hinges.

Are you selling any of these tables yet? Especially for a 2021 JL
I don't sell anything, I just design stuff :).

But a company has contacted me and expressed interest in marketing the table. I don't know where the discussion will end up, it's a recent contact and there's no commitment yet. They seem interested in it for the TJ, JK and JL.

Reactions: JeepingNet