Taking Calls on Loud Speaker

Tjgorilla

I am installing a CarPlay double din unit on my TJ.

It doesn't come with an external mic which I'm looking to purchase before installing.

Was wondering if anybody has successfully taken calls over speakerphone whilst driving? And if so, anybody have any mic recommendations?

Mine looks basically like the one in @rasband post. I use it all the time. Works great. It came with my JVC head unit.

What is the difference between talking to someone on a mic vs talking to a passenger in the passenger seat?
Ever driven behind someone yakking on their phone. The ones I have been behind cannot maintain speed control. Speed up, slow down. They could at least use cruise control.

Reactions: lBasket
Ever driven behind someone yakking on their phone. The ones I have been behind cannot maintain speed control. Speed up, slow down. They could at least use cruise control.
I’m in Dallas, so probably yes, everyday. And I can’t say that has ever specifically been a problem. I drive behind just as many idiots who can’t maintain speed when they aren’t on a phone.

My Kenwood head unit came with one, I can use it even doors off if I'm in town going under 30 or so. Above about 70, it doesn't work that great even with hard doors and soft top closed.

I appreciate the generality of not talking on the phone while driving, even hands free, but it's not a black and white issue for me. As long as I have kids young enough to need my help, I will be available by phone every second I am not with them; also, a lot of the flexibility I enjoy with my work from home job is afforded by the fact that I can call in and halfway listen to a work meeting without being in front of my laptop every minute of the day.

My Kenwood head unit came with one, I can use it even doors off if I'm in town going under 30 or so. Above about 70, it doesn't work that great even with hard doors and soft top closed.

I appreciate the generality of not talking on the phone while driving, even hands free, but it's not a black and white issue for me. As long as I have kids young enough to need my help, I will be available by phone every second I am not with them; also, a lot of the flexibility I enjoy with my work from home job is afforded by the fact that I can call in and halfway listen to a work meeting without being in front of my laptop every minute of the day.
I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree. You endanger yourself and everyone else around you on the road.

I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree. You endanger yourself and everyone else around you on the road.

that's fine. You apparently do see it purely black and white, but for me it's a matter of risk exposure. I'm not talking about burning up 30 minutes of interstate yakking on about trivial nonsense. I ignore any call that isn't my wife or one of my kids schools and the typical (hands free) car conversation lasts long enough to make sure it's not an emergency and find out whether they need me to call back when I'm available. The type of work meeting I would conduct in a vehicle is the kind that I need to announce my presence, give a one sentence answer if I'm addressed, and otherwise give it about as much attention as I would a podcast. Are you also against listening to music, podcasts, or audiobooks while driving?

I've yet to be in a TJ that was quiet enough to do hands-free phone calls over a speaker with an external microphone. I can do it in my TJ, at times, only because my phone is connected to my twin hearing aids via Bluetooth.

My headunit came with an external speaker, I never hooked it up because I figured it wasn't worth it with the amount of wind noise in the jeep.