Tents: how do you camp?

Next week my Jeep will take me up into the mountains so I can do some peakbagging of Fourteeners - camping will be minimalist with only 35 lbs of food, tent, cook gear, etc. 'Course the Jeep will have 100 lbs of jack, tools, etc

I am in Wisconsin but am about to do my annual 3000 mile pilgrimage to SW Colorado. I will have my son in law and one of my son's along. May also meet up with a couple of my old University buddies that live there. When traveling that far I wish I had a JK for comfort but when I am in the old mining roads I am real glad to have an LJ I do Jeep alone so I do not do any tougher class 4 or any 5's.

I have way too many nights spent in a tent, never again. Probably well over 100 nights, 50+ alone as a Boy Scout leader. I finally bought a tent trailer 12 years ago and it's like sleeping in the Taj Majal compared to my tents.

tent.jpg
CIMG4099.JPG

I hear you Jerry. I have done the boy scout thing for many years. In the latter years taking high adventure scouts up into the mountains on 7 day hikes. Also Canada canoeing etc. Finding it harder to dress or sit up and tie shoes in a tent. Something about being 62

Reactions: VallenMaes
I was traveling for work recently and got to chatting with a couple guys who were my senior by about 10-15 years +/-...

The one guy (guessing he was 65ish), said the key to staying young is to put your socks and shoes on while standing up. If you can do that, you're not old yet.

My response as a 46 year old was: Why even bother trying? The bed is literally right there! Of course the next morning I had to try it, and gotta say, it was tougher than I anticipated, but I did it! Every day since though, it's gotten easier. I hate older guys, they always end up imparting me with knowledge when I least expect it! LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeM and Chris