Tents: how do you camp?

Here is the canopy across the TJ behind the front seats;
canopy crosswise DSCF0300.jpg

Enjoy!

There are no holes in the canopy legs to stake it down?

There is but i live on the desert. When I use my canopy i usually use tie down straps but I have had a 30 lb tool box flung around like it was a pillow. We are plagued wit sand and wind here. I sometimes forget that isnt normal.

Reactions: VallenMaes
This is how I camp... backpack gear is ultralight weight.. except for hammock.

I have a pelican case that stores the hwavier atuff and consumbales, food, etc..
20180114_141425.jpg
20180114_141425.jpg
20180114_141445.jpg

Reactions: StG58
what canopy is that? Mine wont fit there.

It is an older (about 3 years) Wally-mart Ozark 10 x 10 vertical leg canopy (it actually measures closer to 9.5 x9.5 when set up)...
With chinese/Wal-Mart stuff; you basically pays your money and takes your chance's... this one was like $89 on sale.

Edit; Ozark trail 2014
WMT-1010A/30183
Barcode 17427 01256

...Just measured it; its approximately 48.5 " long/tall in the case/carrier...
Enjoy!

Last edited:
It is an older (about 3 years) Wally-mart Ozark 10 x 10 vertical leg canopy (it actually measures closer to 9.5 x9.5 when set up)...
With chinese/Wal-Mart stuff; you basically pays your money and takes your chance's... this one was like $89 on sale.

Edit; Ozark trail 2014
WMT-1010A/30183
Barcode 17427 01256

...Just measured it; its approximately 48.5 " long/tall in the case/carrier...
Enjoy!
Thanks for that. I will measure mine too.

This is how we camp. Pics from Pickett State park in North East Tn last year in Nov.yours
View attachment 31962 View attachment 31963
Dawghouse, What is the measurement from the top of your trailer deck to the bottom of the tent mount? if you don't mind? I have the same set up, and am considering lifting the bars that the tent bolts to about 4 inches, and I wanted to know if it would look the same as as yours.

Dawghouse, What is the measurement from the top of your trailer deck to the bottom of the tent mount? if you don't mind? I have the same set up, and am considering lifting the bars that the tent bolts to about 4 inches, and I wanted to know if it would look the same as as yours.

I will have to check to make sure. I want to say the verticals are 36" tall from the top rail. This puts the base of the tent at 6ft from the ground. I needed this height for the annex to work right. The rail from the bed is 16" I think. I made this to retrac down 10" when traveling to cut down on wind. And raise up 10" for setup. Here is a pic with it retracted down.
IMG_0480.JPG

Reactions: tomtaylz

I'll re-measure when I get home and let you know

I will have to check to make sure. I want to say the verticals are 36" tall from the top rail. This puts the base of the tent at 6ft from the ground. I needed this height for the annex to work right. The rail from the bed is 16" I think. I made this to retrac down 10" when traveling to cut down on wind. And raise up 10" for setup. Here is a pic with it retracted down.View attachment 31965

Oh wait never mind. You actually have the sb trailer. I have the same set up but on a utility trailer so I can haul my quad. It doesn't quite fit. I need another two inches, but 4 would be optimal for scaling. Although making it adjustable intrigues me. Here is mine for reference.

IMG-0122.JPG

Oh wait never mind. You actually have the sb trailer. I have the same set up but on a utility trailer so I can haul my quad. It doesn't quite fit. I need another two inches, but 4 would be optimal for scaling. Although making it adjustable intrigues me. Here is mine for reference.

View attachment 31966

I used 1-1/2OD square stock for the uprights and 2"OD square stock for the risers. To assist in raising the bars I installed 4 60LB struts at each corner and spring loaded pull pins with weld bungs. I have to use straps at each corner to retrieve it back down. Mainly because of the struts.

Do you have the Smittybilt RTT?

Reactions: ac_
I used 1-1/2OD square stock for the uprights and 2"OD square stock for the risers. To assist in raising the bars I installed 4 60LB struts at each corner and spring loaded pull pins with weld bungs. I have to use straps at each corner to retrieve it back down. Mainly because of the struts.

Do you have the Smittybilt RTT?

Do you happen to have any pictures of said struts?
I was looking into doing basically the same thing but drilling holes instead, but struts seems like a good idea.

Wait, I didn't measure my annex, but I wonder if I raise mine 4 inches if my annex wont work anymore. Not that I can't add 4 more inches to that but I really don't want to re-engineer the whole thing. I just wanted to do some minor adjustments. Seems now if wont be easier to just lossen the handle bars if I haul it in this trailer.