TeraFlex SS SYE kit 4444400 NP-231J

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerRick

"A Jeep Rescue" Home for the abused & neglected.
Supporting Member
Brand new in the package TeraFlex Super Short SYE conversion kit. Part number 4444400, fits NP or NVG-231J transfer cases and gives you over 4" of extra length where it's needed on the back drive shaft. $220 + any shipping.

Last edited:
You do not need an adapter actually. Same signal output compatible with ALL TJ Wranglers, all years. If you have a YJ Wrangler then yes, on 1991 and earlier, you would need an electronic speedometer because those have mechanical speedometers with cable driven gear and VSS in one unit.

Reactions: Chris and StG58
You do not need an adapter actually. Same signal output compatible with ALL TJ Wranglers, all years. If you have a YJ Wrangler then yes, on 1991 and earlier, you would need an electronic speedometer because those have mechanical speedometers with cable driven gear and VSS in one unit.
I stand corrected and will update my post to just say "Good Kit". Thanks!

Reactions: RangerRick
I have been thinking about a sye for some time now. Did you go with another sye kit? and do you think the TeraFlex super short kit is as good as the advanced adapters HD sye??

I have been thinking about a sye for some time now. Did you go with another sye kit? and do you think the TeraFlex super short kit is as good as the advanced adapters HD sye??

To @Eddie Greenlee, in answer to your question directly: NO & YES.

NO, I did not go with another SYE, I went with an Atlas II 4.3:1 twin stick transfer case instead of doing the wide chain, 6 pinion planetary gear & SS SYE kit on the 231J that came out of my Jeep. I had already bought the TeraFlex 4444400 SS SYE kit for the 231J and a Tera 2-LOW for 2WD low range kit for a Ruby RockTrack 241OR prior to finding a deal on an almost brand new Atlas. I wasn't sure if I was going with the Rubicon 241OR or rebuild and upgrade to my 231J hence the different parts. This is why I am selling BOTH the Tera 2-LOW for Rubicon NVG-241OR Rock-Track AND the 4444400 TeraFlex SS SYE kits NIB unused brand new in the packaging. The Atlas II has made them not needed at this point.

YES, I do like the TeraFlex SS SYE better than the AA because it allows you to have even a longer drive shaft by almost 4" out back where the TJ really needs it. The electronic speedo sensor is also IMHO a better deal because instead of trying to match a speedo gear for your tire size, you just use an electronic "plug-in" calibrator that can be changed any time tire size is changed without any tail cone removal or speedo sensor removal. Also there's no way to " clock the speedo gear wrong" since it's a hall effect sensor using magnetic pulses from a tone ring like GM and the Rubicon Jeeps did it. The speedo will always work. It's the way all 2003+ TJ/LJ's went that have the RockTrack 241OR Rubicon transfer cases in them so it is a factory sensor if you ever needed a replacement while out on the trail. No special sensor, regular 2003-2006 Rubicon speedometer sensor is what this kit uses.

As far as kits go, it's a tossup id say between the newer improved gen-2 TeraFlex SS SYE and the JB Conversions SS SYE. They both are about the same in design but the Tera is about $50 less money. The casting on the JB tail cone is a bit thicker at the bearing and seal area, Both have ample lubrication holes in the tone ring for the rear support bearing to get the required "splash" lubrication while towing and driving. Both use the newer hall effect speedo sensor that is a factory part on Rubicon TJ's, Both are the same length and upgrade the rear output shaft to a much beefier 32 splines, (same as 3/4 & 1-ton truck transfer cases use). Tera is easier to get hold of for technical questions than JB but JB makes superior 4:1 gear sets for Dana 300's etc. You really can't go wrong with either manufacturer. This is strait talk, not BS hearsay, I've used both in the past on other Jeeps.

Reactions: JMT
RangerRick, Thank you very much for going into detail about the SYE and other information. Im just now getting back on to the forum from last week so i apologize for the delay. Ill take it all into consideration and let you know if I want to try your sye. thanks again

Ok, part number is listed so you can see pictures and specs from the TeraFlex website in your research.

To @Eddie Greenlee, in answer to your question directly: NO & YES.

NO, I did not go with another SYE, I went with an Atlas II 4.3:1 twin stick transfer case instead of doing the wide chain, 6 pinion planetary gear & SS SYE kit on the 231J that came out of my Jeep. I had already bought the TeraFlex 4444400 SS SYE kit for the 231J and a Tera 2-LOW for 2WD low range kit for a Ruby RockTrack 241OR prior to finding a deal on an almost brand new Atlas. I wasn't sure if I was going with the Rubicon 241OR or rebuild and upgrade to my 231J hence the different parts. This is why I am selling BOTH the Tera 2-LOW for Rubicon NVG-241OR Rock-Track AND the 4444400 TeraFlex SS SYE kits NIB unused brand new in the packaging. The Atlas II has made them not needed at this point.

YES, I do like the TeraFlex SS SYE better than the AA because it allows you to have even a longer drive shaft by almost 4" out back where the TJ really needs it. The electronic speedo sensor is also IMHO a better deal because instead of trying to match a speedo gear for your tire size, you just use an electronic "plug-in" calibrator that can be changed any time tire size is changed without any tail cone removal or speedo sensor removal. Also there's no way to " clock the speedo gear wrong" since it's a hall effect sensor using magnetic pulses from a tone ring like GM and the Rubicon Jeeps did it. The speedo will always work. It's the way all 2003+ TJ/LJ's went that have the RockTrack 241OR Rubicon transfer cases in them so it is a factory sensor if you ever needed a replacement while out on the trail. No special sensor, regular 2003-2006 Rubicon speedometer sensor is what this kit uses.

As far as kits go, it's a tossup id say between the newer improved gen-2 TeraFlex SS SYE and the JB Conversions SS SYE. They both are about the same in design but the Tera is about $50 less money. The casting on the JB tail cone is a bit thicker at the bearing and seal area, Both have ample lubrication holes in the tone ring for the rear support bearing to get the required "splash" lubrication while towing and driving. Both use the newer hall effect speedo sensor that is a factory part on Rubicon TJ's, Both are the same length and upgrade the rear output shaft to a much beefier 32 splines, (same as 3/4 & 1-ton truck transfer cases use). Tera is easier to get hold of for technical questions than JB but JB makes superior 4:1 gear sets for Dana 300's etc. You really can't go wrong with either manufacturer. This is strait talk, not BS hearsay, I've used both in the past on other Jeeps.
Other than Tera being Tera, I'm not a fan of that rear yoke design in that you have to put the bolts through the holes before you install it onto the output shaft. Makes it a real pain if you need to replace a screwed up bolt.

As for being better, everyone with a standard wheelbase TJ can benefit from a longer rear driveshaft. The Super Shorts are the way to go if you can handle the extra for the digital calibrator.

Sorry Eddie, It has been sold a while back. Thanks for asking though.

RR

I may have misread, but did I see that you were either going to install a 231J or a 241OR, before going Atlas?

If so, do you still have the 241OR and would you part with it?

RC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: RangerRick
I may have misread, but did I see that you were either going to install a 231J or a 241OR, before going Atlas?

If so, do you still have the 241OR and would you part with it?

RC

Sorry RC, I sold the 241OR a while ago however there is a guy just North of Bakersfield that has one he's been trying to sell for a while. It was listed on Bakersfield CL for a while. That is not far from Tracy considering how big California is so if I get the chance, I'll see if I have his texts or emails still in the phone history and toss his contact info your way.
The 241OR is the best factory TC ever put in a Jeep throughout history with the exception possibly of maybe being tied with the Dana 300 as all time best IMHO. There are only a few things you have to be careful with on them. 1st, NEVER USE ANY OIL THAT IS NOT ON THE APPROVED BY MANUFACTURER LIST regardless of what others say. 2nd, NO DRIVELINE VIBRATIONS! If you have them, fix em' or it will cause leaks and can destroy the housing which being aluminum, cracks like an egg if there are stressors that can lead to a case failure. I speak from experience, having owned and run several of these (4) in various Jeeps since their release on the market in 2002 for 2003 MY.
I have since gone to an Atlas II twin-stick gear driven aftermarket case when upgrading to a V8 engine in the current TJ. Advanced Adapters is going to release a new version that will permit flat towing soon but for now if you tow your Jeep on its own wheels, the 241OR is your best option especially if you install a Tera-2-Low option in it. I recommend the Tera-2-Low as a must if you run trails like Fordyce, The Rubicon or Dusy Ershim & Swamp Lake.
RR

Sorry RC, I sold the 241OR a while ago however there is a guy just North of Bakersfield that has one he's been trying to sell for a while. It was listed on Bakersfield CL for a while. That is not far from Tracy considering how big California is so if I get the chance, I'll see if I have his texts or emails still in the phone history and toss his contact info your way.
The 241OR is the best factory TC ever put in a Jeep throughout history with the exception possibly of maybe being tied with the Dana 300 as all time best IMHO. There are only a few things you have to be careful with on them. 1st, NEVER USE ANY OIL THAT IS NOT ON THE APPROVED BY MANUFACTURER LIST regardless of what others say. 2nd, NO DRIVELINE VIBRATIONS! If you have them, fix em' or it will cause leaks and can destroy the housing which being aluminum, cracks like an egg if there are stressors that can lead to a case failure. I speak from experience, having owned and run several of these (4) in various Jeeps since their release on the market in 2002 for 2003 MY.
I have since gone to an Atlas II twin-stick gear driven aftermarket case when upgrading to a V8 engine in the current TJ. Advanced Adapters is going to release a new version that will permit flat towing soon but for now if you tow your Jeep on its own wheels, the 241OR is your best option especially if you install a Tera-2-Low option in it. I recommend the Tera-2-Low as a must if you run trails like Fordyce, The Rubicon or Dusy Ershim & Swamp Lake.
RR

That’s a solid recommendation, thanks! I’m partial to the 241OR, as I’ve had them in JKs (current and past tense). The finicky part is that you need an 03-06 241OR to fit a TJ, so those have been a bit more scarce.

Thanks in advance for any help on the Bako connection!

RC

Well yeah.
The TJ version of the 241OR is going to become scarce and hard to find because production numbers were never what the JK Rubicon numbers were. That is another downfall about them, that they are rare and WILL continue to get even more rare so prices reflect that. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for a clean low mileage unit that hasn't been tampered with because any more and you're just too close to Atlas territory at that point. Keep it in mind that an Atlas II can be had for a little over $2300 if you know how to buy right and save. That's less than $1k difference in cost so remember that when shopping around for used 241OR TCs. Especially since you'll need new drive shafts more than likely anyways money there too..... change X begot change Y that caused change Z to happen theory.......

RR

Reactions: cruzcode
Well yeah.
The TJ version of the 241OR is going to become scarce and hard to find because production numbers were never what the JK Rubicon numbers were. That is another downfall about them, that they are rare and WILL continue to get even more rare so prices reflect that. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for a clean low mileage unit that hasn't been tampered with because any more and you're just too close to Atlas territory at that point. Keep it in mind that an Atlas II can be had for a little over $2300 if you know how to buy right and save. That's less than $1k difference in cost so remember that when shopping around for used 241OR TCs. Especially since you'll need new drive shafts more than likely anyways money there too..... change X begot change Y that caused change Z to happen theory.......

RR

Copy that. I may just have live life with the 231 for now.... blech. This is a “budget build”. I’ve never done one of those, so this is a very large challenge!

RC

Status
Not open for further replies.