Test drove this 03 Rubicon yesterday!

I replaced my cooling system (radiator, water pump, hoses, thermostat, thermostat housing, coolant flush and new zerex go5, and radiator cap for $500. All parts (minus coolant) was from wermopar.com. I agree though, at that mileage the system needs replaced

Yeah, that’s about right if you do it yourself. I was factoring in the labor of a shop doing it. Mine ended up costing about the same as yours though since I did it myself.

Reactions: tworley
Yeah, that’s about right if you do it yourself. I was factoring in the labor of a shop doing it. Mine ended up costing about the same as yours though since I did it myself.

Thanks, that is what my son in law said that he would probably replace radiator and water pump he is good at that and so I can learn some things.

Reactions: Chris
FWiW, the TJ Rubicon does not use e lockers. They are low pressure pneumatic.

It isn't uncommon at this late date for the air hoses to be split at either the pump or diff ends. This will cause the dash lights to flash, rather than go solid when activated.

That underside doesn't look so good to me, frame. Hell, if interested, I can search up and send info to get my old one, it's traded in Michigan, only has 34K miles on it. The frame looked a ton better than that. They priced at $18K I think. The way they work you could get much less. The issue with mine was all the sheet metal rusting/bubbling up. I took care of the frame, didn't think the rest of it would crap out on me. But it's an '06, with the rust issues and the OPDA thing, tho' I didn't have an issue with miles low but who knows, was always on my mind.

That underside doesn't look so good to me, frame. Hell, if interested, I can search up and send info to get my old one, it's traded in Michigan, only has 34K miles on it. The frame looked a ton better than that. They priced at $18K I think. The way they work you could get much less. The issue with mine was all the sheet metal rusting/bubbling up. I took care of the frame, didn't think the rest of it would crap out on me. But it's an '06, with the rust issues and the OPDA thing, tho' I didn't have an issue with miles low but who knows, was always on my mind.

The frame did look much better than pictures showed and it did have mud on it. Right now I have put in on back burner unless he comes down on price. I want to spend $10,000 or so and get a Rubicon so it is kind of tough!

Reactions: Jeff Allan
FWiW, the TJ Rubicon does not use e lockers. They are low pressure pneumatic.

It isn't uncommon at this late date for the air hoses to be split at either the pump or diff ends. This will cause the dash lights to flash, rather than go solid when activated.
This is potentially very valuable info. Unfortunately it isn't uncommon. The rubi's are classics in a few short years.

I bought my 05 Rubicon, with 150k in December of 17' for $6500. It had a couple issues like most but the frame was better than the frame in the pictures. Most of the issues were minor (no Fog lights, leaking axle seal, needed a new front U-joint, and the CATS were plugged. I understand used car prices today are fetching a premium but I'd offer less than $10k. Oh, damn... 2 year old thread...