That One Modification — Was It Worth the Time and Expense?

jjvw

useless stäff member
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
What is something you have done to the Jeep that, while arguably effective and useful, really wasn't worth the time, effort or expense? Why did it not deliver as hoped?

Last edited:
Reactions: bedhed
Moving the front diff forward 1.5" and the rear back 3/4" which caused a lot of interference problems with the steering box and radiator up front and the gas tank in the rear.

I added a why question to the first post. Some changes can benefit one person's use, but not be meaningful to another's. Other great ideas just don't play out into real world.

Right now, I can think of three ideas I have for mine that I can easily argue against. But that isn't always enough to stop me!

Several years ago, I converted the factory soft top into a front flip Sunrider style. It works. I rarely use it because it isn't as cool to have as I thought it would be. One draw back is that it made the entire soft top frame flopper making it a little harder to fold the entire top back.

Converting my TJ’s factory wiring to be hardtop compatible, then adding a factory hardtop. It was cool to rip everything apart and learn about all of the wiring, and having the wiper/sprayer, and rear defrost were handy. The top was also quieter.

In the end, I sold the hardtop after only having it for maybe two months. In AZ we have days in the dead of winter where it gets up in the 80s. And I was missing being able to flip the top down for a day or two whenever the weather cheered up. I haven’t looked back once since selling it.

What is something you have done to the Jeep that, while arguably effective and useful, really wasn't worth the time, effort or expense? Why did it not deliver as hoped?

My 4.10-->4.88 re-gear and the resulting vibration saga. So much time, money and pain. And I'm starting to think it's still not yet fully gone after driving the Jeep for the summer.

I should have gone to 4.10s and just dealt with it that way. Would have been cheaper.

Reactions: AndyG
CJ type mirrors mounted to the windshield frame. They shook more than I expected and they were right at eye level so that they actually blocked my view. I almost took out pedestrians in a crosswalk a time or two.

Reactions: jjvw
Several years ago, I converted the factory soft top into a front flip Sunrider style. It works. I rarely use it because it isn't as cool to have as I thought it would be. One draw back is that it made the entire soft top frame flopper making it a little harder to fold the entire top back.

Did you use that flip-ur-top kit? Why don't you use that more often? I wonder if the bestop supertop nx with the sunrider feature is a better option longterm even if it's expensive upfront.

My 4.10-->4.88 re-gear and the resulting vibration saga. So much time, money and pain. And I'm starting to think it's still not yet fully gone after driving the Jeep for the summer.

I should have gone to 4.10s and just dealt with it that way. Would have been cheaper.

To recap, you had done the dynamic balance, correct? The hub kit is still working as expected on mine. Which leads me to something I regret having to do..
The hub kit. It just makes everything more complicated than it should be.

Probably my Mastercraft Baja RS seats. They're pretty nice, but they made the Jeep harder to get into, expensive, and raised the seating position, which I'm now used to, but don't prefer. I should have just had the factory seats redone.

In-cab winch controller. There's no doubt that it looks cool on the switch panel. But anytime I've got to respool I need to use the remote anyway. I like having it, but the wiring for it was a pain and not really worth not having to leave a cable dangling through the window

On the LJ, I've done a lot that I regret that I've also replaced. The only thing remaining that I regret is the drop down tailgate. Its never fit right.

CJ type mirrors mounted to the windshield frame. They shook more than I expected and they were right at eye level so that they actually blocked my view. I almost took out pedestrians in a crosswalk a time or two.

I have so much I can say about that. 4-5 mirror revisions later...

Tuffy security center console. The elbow pad is nice, otherwise I should've just saved the money and time.

Did you use that flip-ur-top kit? Why don't you use that more often? I wonder if the bestop supertop nx with the sunrider feature is a better option longterm even if it's expensive upfront.

I made my own using BesTop replacement bow knuckles. The problem I never made it past was how to make a low profile support sleeve that keeps the knuckle/hinge straight when needed.

I have so much I can say about that. 4-5 mirror revisions later...
Same here. I recently got a different set that mounts lower, but I can already tell that when the top goes back on I won't be able to see the passenger side mirror, just like with stock mirror relocation brackets.:mad: My next step will probably make my own mirror arms from aluminum flat stock.🥴

Swapping out 2” coil spacers for 2” spring lift. It handled better before and I didn’t have any vibrations.

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
To recap, you had done the dynamic balance, correct? The hub kit is still working as expected on mine. Which leads me to something I regret having to do..
The hub kit. It just makes everything more complicated than it should be.

Yep, the dynamic balance was the one that finally got it driveable, followed by a new front driver inner shaft that made it even more better. I was so happy with that at that time that I did not pursue any further. I've been simply driving the jeep as is since then, and I realized that on longer highway drives I still feel it .. but it's muffled compared to before. I have no energy to pursue it this year.

I haven't experimented taking the front ds after the saga. It did not make a difference before and I doubt it will now. As painful, expensive the hub kit conversion is, thank your gods that the vibration goes away.