That One Modification — Was It Worth the Time and Expense?

Smittybilt bumper/carrier. I needed it to carry the 35" spare I had when I bought the jeep. I want to say it was $600 from qtec 5 years ago. Well, it did carry the spare, I thought it looked cool, had an armor finish to it. Its been nothing but a hang up on the trail. Constant rattling, fused together aluminum handle with steel hinge, the carrier itself is a simple sleeve/post design. I should have researched a little more.

My 4.10-->4.88 re-gear and the resulting vibration saga. So much time, money and pain. And I'm starting to think it's still not yet fully gone after driving the Jeep for the summer.

I should have gone to 4.10s and just dealt with it that way. Would have been cheaper.

Ditto my friend! Regret 33's, and further regret the re-gear from 3.73 to 4.56 and the resulting chasing of my tail.
BTW, put the hard top on over the weekend. Harmonic is still there above 60mph.

• Sad
Reactions: psrivats and Alex01
When my son turned 16, I gave him the 04 LJ. put on a 2.5 RC lift, 17" Rubicon wheels, 265/70/17 tires cause I wanted him to look cool.

we do not off road, ever. If I had it to do over, would have left stock and just put larger tires on the stock 15" rims.

I do like the bumper change though.

Did you use that flip-ur-top kit? Why don't you use that more often? I wonder if the bestop supertop nx with the sunrider feature is a better option longterm even if it's expensive upfront.

I don't know how the 'kits' work, but I have the super top nx and love it. It is made so that when the top is folded back as a sunroof, the back portion is still kept tight. I run it all summer with the top folded back and windows out. I only had one problem when one of the pins that keep the roof tight in the back, fell off. Bestop was fast to get me a new one and I was back in business again. :D

Reactions: psrivats
What about the re-gear caused vibrations? I'm new to all of this, and planning to re-gear from 3.73 to (maybe?) 5.13 for my LJ with 35s.

It's been noted by several members on this forum and others that some Jeeps tend to develop a harmonic vibration of sorts after a regear (this is not a driveline vibration resulting from worn parts with too much runout or from incorrect pinion angles or improperly balanced driveshafts). Some think it's caused by the 3rd order firing frequency in a 6cyl engine exciting some fundamental resonance mode on the vehicle (frame/tcase/whatever else), but the real reason is not well understood. Not all Jeeps suffer from this issue but some do, even with not-so-deep gearing. Jeeps with 42RLE auto transmissions seem to be more susceptible, but the are folks with manuals who have reported this issue as well. Solving this problem is really very hard. There are several threads on the forum chronicling people's attempts to fix it.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Regear vibes aren't super common . It can happen , but it's not a large percentage it seems that do it .

I regret trying to regear mine and not knowing what I was doing , it was a lot of wasted time and money...but it put me in my place on my mechanical limits. Do I regret getting it done and done right? Lord no.

My other regret isn't a mod , but I slipped another Rubicon in the fleet without telling my wife. It went over extremely bad. Like a fart in a diving helmet. We are now remodeling the kitchen and great room .

I nearly had Blaine's weiner experience , Lorena Bobbit style . It was not the first time I'd got a new toy without running it by her . But boy this one somehow crossed a line .

Oh you bought another Rubicon? What are the photos my man?

Oh you bought another Rubicon? What are the photos my man?
I 'll need to snag the wife's I phone .

It's blue with black beadlocks with aluminum lock rings , someone put a JK Rubicon sticker on it , and what has surprised me is it is quicker than my 5 speed . .I think it has 4:88's .

Had 35's and I yanked them for 33" Cooper sst-pro's.

It's not cosmetically as good as my 03 , but it's solid . 9300 bucks , had been stolen , so it was a discount deal. ..got it to resell and my son went nuts for it , so he's driving it and I put his 1/2 ton Chevy in the work fleet. Sort of smoothed out the drama.

Reactions: JMT and psrivats
Here's another.

Front and rear cameras. I installed them as a test to see how useful they might be both on and off road.

As expected, I found them to be kinda useful for parallel parking. Though after the bumper projects, the Jeep is now 6" shorter in length and is that much easier to deal with.

Maybe also as expected, the cameras were nothing but a distraction off road. I couldn't use them because they didn't tell me anything useful that a physical bump wouldn't tell me more.

I removed the cameras as part of the small bumper projects and have not felt any need to reinstall them. Now I just need to commit and pull the wiring out.

Reactions: JMT and psrivats
Hemi-swap

sounded great on paper, the time spent acquiring everything. Mocking up the wiring harness, stripping the donor vehicle. Moving across the country. Parking the Jeep for three years with no motor.

in the end I never had the time for it. I put a lot of effort into it, never saw it come to fruition.

thank goodness Axis developed the 99% solution for the Cummins diesel. I can at least drive my Jeep again

Reactions: psrivats and JMT
AFB29709-4D90-4216-9B27-6986141E8DD8.jpeg
Here is 2 mods that could have done without

Reactions: AndyG
..got it to resell and my son went nuts for it , so he's driving it and I put his 1/2 ton Chevy in the work fleet. Sort of smoothed out the drama.

That is a pro move right there. I have gotten away with many things by making them into some kind of benefit for the kids.

On the gearing, that definitely sounds like a job that I will pay someone to do.