That Pesky Fuel Gauge

DDSairsoft

I know that many Wranglers are known for having inaccurate or flat out unresponsive fuel gauges. I knew that going in however, my gauge has always been spot on since I bought it about a year ago. Now the stupid thing is consistently showing 1/8 of a tank less than what I know is actually in there according to milage. I fill up and it shows 7/8s full when I'm at a quarter tank according to milage my gas light is popping on at 1/8 a tank left. I tried cleaning out the connector at the fuel pump according to a write-up I saw on another forum and it didn't do much. Only thing I can think of is that its related to the dent I got in my fuel tank skid on my last trail ride, but I can't logically see how that would cause this problem. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so this one is going to haunt me to the grave just like my CEL for my EVAP leak so it would be awesome if anyone had some constructive input.

I would be willing to bet that when you whacked the tank off-road it could have messed up the fuel level sensor. If it was me I might consider replacing that part altogether as it very well coulee be the culprit.

You might have dented the plastic tank above the steel skid which is now taking up volume inside the tank. That would mean the tank would hold less gasoline than you believe should be in there. Drop the skid/tank & take a look.

If you're doing trails tough enough to get past the factory skidplate, it may be time to consider something better/stronger like Savvy's aluminum skidplate. It's lighter yet significantly stronger.

CIMG3166.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris