The great locker debate

What kind of lockers do you run

• Total voters
I run ARB. Why? I have some sort of advanced neurosis that causes me to read every stinking f’ing thread on every forum known to Jeepdom back to the beginning of forums so that I can assess everyone’s opinion to try & distill some modicum of acceptable consensus before I pull the trigger on a high dollar item like lockers. And that led me to ARB, though it’s led others to others.

Turns out I like them too

I picked ARB when I bought my upgraded F/R complete axles. Reputation as well as recommendations from good friends who have used them.
I was on the fence between the ARB and the OX at that time but went with ARB to avoid the cable issues.

Reactions: cclarke802
I picked ARB when I bought my upgraded F/R complete axles. Reputation as well as recommendations from good friends who have used them.
I was on the fence between the ARB and the OX at that time but went with ARB to avoid the cable issues.

cable issues?? Is there a known issue with them or something. I am of the mindset that cable anything would be less prone to failing compared to air or electronic.

Reactions: KCsTJ
cable issues?? Is there a known issue with them or something. I am of the mindset that cable anything would be less prone to failing compared to air or electronic.
Maybe not an issue any longer but not 100% sure. I got my ARB's back in 2010. From what I understand cable can bind depending on how it is run. The cable is or was very stiff. Also front is critical on how you run as I had a friend who's cable melted some and it caused the front locker to remain locked.
These days I think they added an air option to the OX if I am not mistaken.
I am not knocking the OX it is a great locker .My good friend is Ruben Arrieta the one who created it back in the day and eventually sold the company before he moved to Colorado.

I'll be going with ARB to replace the factory rear. I want selectable because the Jeep is a daily driver and I don't want to think about the locker while driving through the city. ARB has been around a long time and is used successfully by people who use it far more aggressively then I will.

I don't care for OX because of the huge diff cover and the bulky cable system.

While it may not be an issue, Eaton bothers me because it unlocks when rolling backwards. That is too close to why my Rubicon locker broke.

Reactions: Serbonze
Maybe not an issue any longer but not 100% sure. I got my ARB's back in 2010. From what I understand cable can bind depending on how it is run. The cable is or was very stiff. Also front is critical on how you run as I had a friend who's cable melted some and it caused the front locker to remain locked.
These days I think they added an air option to the OX if I am not mistaken.
I am not knocking the OX it is a great locker .My good friend is Ruben Arrieta the one who created it back in the day and eventually sold the company before he moved to Colorado.

It would really come down to the price difference when it comes time. I'm confident that I could mitigate any risk of melting and binding but we shall see :)

Reactions: JeepNWilly
At the moment, Lunch box front and Tru-Trac rear.
Will change to selectable in front. Not sure which one yet. If wasn't for the diff cover OX will be. Auburn ECTED is on sight too.
Rear, if not move into the Auburn, Tru-Trac will remain.

I went with air for several reasons:

Reputation - my father has been running ARB lockers for the last fifteen years and never had a failure. They are used at some of the highest levels of racing and wheeling around the country. Nothing that I do with my TJ will ever come close to the torture that they are put through.
Cost - I was given a used rear ARB locker, so all I had to do was buy the front and an compressor

I have had electrical gremlins before. Someone said before that it's really easy to identify and fix an air leak in a line, but not so much when it comes to electrical problems.

I'l be putting a PowerTrax No Slip Lunchbox in the front this Friday, hopefully. My reason is because it will do everything I need it to do. It's invisible on the street. It is on permanently when I'm in 4wd. They are reliable up front. I don't have $900 right now. I will use a selectable in the rear, either Eaton or ARB.