The LS Swap Begins

Status update. LS still running strong. It’s Africa hot in AZ right now…so that made me speed up my AC progress. Started out with a Sanden 508…but the bracket was hitting the fender, and I didn’t wanna chop it. Returned all that stuff, and went with a Sanden 7b10. Little mini lookin compressor. First bracket installed nicely, but when I put the belt on, it hugged the edge of the tensioner pulley. Didn’t feel super confident that I wasn’t going to spin it off when getting on it, so contacted ICT Billet and they were awesome. They ended up swapping me out for the HD version of that kit and it fits perfectly. Had to tour the halls of AutoZone in the radiator hose exhibit to find the right candidate to carry the green cool juice in and out of the radiator.

The radiator from Superior is a thing of beauty. Sitting idle, AC on full blast, and 110+ out…motor never gets over 215. I did end up purchasing the most CFM 16” SPAL puller fan…and it was worth the price of admission. Sounds intense, but I’d rather have that then the alternative.

I told myself from the beginning I didn’t want random wires anywhere like I had seen in other builds…then reality and lack of patience kicked in and I’ve got a few. Good thing is, I believe I’ve worked out a lot of the issues…especially when I melted a shorty 18awg wire carrying the load for the electric fan at the fuse…that melted through the fuse box…when it was 115 out…and I was 5-6 miles from home. Luckily…I had all green lights and as long as air is moving through the radiator, it stays as cool as a cucumber. That gave me the opportunity to rebuild the entire fuse box (now the right way, with proper wire for the different loads, and a new dedicated circuit for the fan itself).

A57A473D-923A-489A-A530-6AC005C82196.jpeg

70F8CF1D-EA8C-415F-9C5D-796F35A89F7A.jpeg

The guys at Air Components did a great job on the custom hoses and accumulator. I ended up buying a new condenser as well…because the last one was original and had seen better days.

I’m also the new owner of this fancy plate:

4CCEEE34-61E5-4F4C-AF0B-C66E2C091DB1.jpeg

I’m still going back and forth on where to mount the GM ECM, and I just found a pic of a CJ-7 that mounted it to the firewall on the driver side under where the clutch master cylinder is. I’ve got that tray there for the non-existent ABS pump that can be removed that I never thought about. So maybe I’ll rip the fender off this evening.

Got a new set of Rancho 5000s all around. Much better ride…although…it’s still a mildly lifted Jeep, so I don’t expect much.

I purchased, I mean my wife and kids purchased, the front/rear carpet set from bed rug for Father’s Day…on my list of things to finish…I don’t know that I want to spend an entire day in the hot/humid garage to install that. I dunno…it’s clear I have zero patience, so I’ll prob drop it in soon.

I’ve got an exhaust leak on the passenger side. Hasn’t bothered me much…until now. Now that I’ve got the windows up and air on, I hear all the noises. Before I’d just hear that glorious exhaust note. 🤣 so…I’ve got to stop driving it long enough for it to cool off so I can pull the exhaust, and fix it. I’ve got a pretty good idea where it’s coming from…the collector flange is rubbing against the…control arm (?) connection on the frame. It gives a nice reverberating vibration sound in 4th/5th at lower RPM. Short term fix…more throttle. Woot!

I’ve also got a new walbro (sp?) fuel pump to install. I’m fairly confident about installing it into the existing Bosch housing. I’m pretty sure when I’m mashing the gas, WOT, I’m running out of fuel in the higher RPM range. Not that I’m constantly up in that range…mostly…but damn it, I’ve put enough in to this that when I mash the gas, I want it pulling all the way until the transmission gives way…which, I’m incredibly surprised at its durability this far. Not a single issue…and I’m not driving it softly. My Cars and Bids handle isn’t “Toretto’s Dad” because I get great gas mileage. 🤘🏻😜

I should have done a YouTube series. Meh. I think that’s all I got for now.

Did you swap fuel lines, or are you still running the stock TJ lines?

On the fuel delivery, do you think you have a pressure issue or a volume issue?

Crazy cool build. Congrats on running it around. I definitely think the AC is important. I spent a lot of time getting mine dialed in as well.

Oh yeah, I don’t think it’s a fuel issue at the top - it’s just your little LS wishing it was a Hemi…

😉

Did you swap fuel lines, or are you still running the stock TJ lines?

On the fuel delivery, do you think you have a pressure issue or a volume issue?

Crazy cool build. Congrats on running it around. I definitely think the AC is important. I spent a lot of time getting mine dialed in as well.

Oh yeah, I don’t think it’s a fuel issue at the top - it’s just your little LS wishing it was a Hemi…

😉

Hahhahahaha well, the only reason I didn’t go Hemi was the initial buy-in. I love the Hemi in my truck…buuuuttt…initial buy-in was $1500 and the barrier to entry with an LS swap was way lower for me to do my first swap by myself. I’m way more confident in my skills now tho…so maybe on the next one… ;-)

I believe it is a pressure issue, but I don’t have data to back up my “feeling” if I’m being honest - I’ve just mentioned the symptoms to some LS guys I trust and they’ve said it sounds like a sustained fuel delivery issue. The motor just kind of falls on its face a little…when it should have no issues pulling straight through. I have larger fuel injectors that came with my Gen IV intake manifold, and what I’ve been told is that as the engine is climbing in RPM, the more fuel it is wanting through the larger injectors is requiring more sustained fuel pressure and my fuel pump might not be able to keep up even though I have 58 PSI to the rail when I fire it up and check with my gauge.

The fuel lines are new 6 AN lines from the tank all the way forward with the regulator/return on the frame rail next to the transfer case (utilizing the skid plate for protection).

What I really should do is log the crap outta my driving with PCM Logger and analyze the files/adjust…but man, HP tuners makes it way easier to visualize the data. Either way tho, that fuel pump was not expensive and it’s definitely an upgrade from what I’ve got…sooo… 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣 I think I might also just look for reasons to work on the Jeep… 😜

Hahhahahaha well, the only reason I didn’t go Hemi was the initial buy-in. I love the Hemi in my truck…buuuuttt…initial buy-in was $1500 and the barrier to entry with an LS swap was way lower for me to do my first swap by myself. I’m way more confident in my skills now tho…so maybe on the next one… ;-)

I believe it is a pressure issue, but I don’t have data to back up my “feeling” if I’m being honest - I’ve just mentioned the symptoms to some LS guys I trust and they’ve said it sounds like a sustained fuel delivery issue. The motor just kind of falls on its face a little…when it should have no issues pulling straight through. I have larger fuel injectors that came with my Gen IV intake manifold, and what I’ve been told is that as the engine is climbing in RPM, the more fuel it is wanting through the larger injectors is requiring more sustained fuel pressure and my fuel pump might not be able to keep up even though I have 58 PSI to the rail when I fire it up and check with my gauge.

The fuel lines are new 6 AN lines from the tank all the way forward with the regulator/return on the frame rail next to the transfer case (utilizing the skid plate for protection).

What I really should do is log the crap outta my driving with PCM Logger and analyze the files/adjust…but man, HP tuners makes it way easier to visualize the data. Either way tho, that fuel pump was not expensive and it’s definitely an upgrade from what I’ve got…sooo… 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣 I think I might also just look for reasons to work on the Jeep… 😜

Certainly sounds like it could be a pump issue. I run 3/8" lines in mine (-6 equivalent) with a 59psi pump, and no issues at all. I run the stock 2005-2006 Bosch pump in mine.

I'm just pokin' with the Hemi crack. Many, many times I wished I had done an LS - nothing at all wrong with going that route. Definitely more expensive - if you knew what I spent on mine you'd probably feel pretty good. It's just fun to do some good natured ribbing. You can expect much more... :)

👋 y’all!

So…5000 miles in on the swap…I think? Pretty sure I swapped at 165,000, and I just rolled 170,000. I’m just gonna go with it.

Obvious Things​

The Jeep is so much more fun to drive now, I literally wake up before the sun comes up…every day…to go get coffee and “take a lap”. Thank you Circle K Sip n Save!

Other Things​

Tuning is challenging when you are as stubborn as I am against coughing up the money for HP Tuners or taking to a shop to tune it. I have spent quite a bit of time learning all the beeps and boops of configuring what is supposed to be a fairly simple/straightforward configuration of an LS. Lemme tell ya, it is not that simple, but when you figure it out, you might feel like you’re pretty freakin awesome.

Frame rattle…….da fluck? Passenger side header got cozy with the frame end of the uppper control arm. I got cozy with my angle grinder. Shaved a little bit off the top…VERY NICE! Beau 1, Jeep 0.

LS engines like to eat oil when you are slamming on them day in and day out. Not like in a concerning way like I’ve got compression/ring issues and blow by, but enough to where it’s like…BRO…I just filled that up. Turns out, some LS motors like to do this because of manifold pressure…and use the PCV hose connected to the valve cover as if it were a straw. Talked with some other folks, and given the RPM range I play in, they suggested an oil catch can to stop lubricating the inside of my intake manifold and blowing a little smoke when really gettin on it.

Likely Chinese built Sanden style AC compressors…bad. Actual Sanden AC compressors…good. Running the cold AC on a really hot day and the throttle response not feeling like you are pushing around the struggle bus? Really good.

I’m incredibly impressed with the NV3550. Like…shocked to be honest. I was doing a hot lap around the hood with my son the other day, and he was chatting me up like most 19 year old boys do while sitting at a light. I was watching the opposing traffic lights and when they turned red, I dove in to the throttle a bit, while still chatting, and then unloaded the clutch when our light turned green. That mofo smoked the rear 33” Goodyear Wrangler MT tires like they were already on fire. It was a glorious moment of bonding with my gear head son…it could have only been better had Lynard Skynard been playing on the radio during this time.

I also just took the Jeep wheeling up on the Montana Mountain loop out east…only died almost once. Zero issues from the transmission or keeping the motor cool while creeping around on the trails.

Ending Thoughts​

If you really are thinking of doing an LS swap, I can confidently say I would highly recommend it. I might even throw a few punches to make my recommendation clear if I were hopped up on enough Mountain Dew and you know, if we were close like that, and I could hit you in the face and we’d still be like friends…maybe frenemies, but still on a texting level or something like that.

And I’ll leave you with a few pics from this past weekend.

34E79D7A-C173-495E-93D8-D0F41AD228DE.jpeg

E17080BC-DFA0-42B5-B20C-0C179B96B290.jpeg

528AF1F8-4124-4B7A-BBC7-077F6186F88F.jpeg

6E75542D-7D65-4CA7-8C19-12DCF3E310AE.jpeg

EC27860F-CBF9-44DB-8526-6D690C5FE9B9.jpeg

BEA1A3EA-686F-43E1-AE14-3602EF3F76D0.jpeg

34342980-BA16-4808-804C-ED798C78BCAE.jpeg

B7B7E7AC-B0F2-4827-9C58-6AFA8BD910F9.jpeg

🕺🏻💨

36E08B5B-93CC-4413-AB57-2CA764539F96.jpeg

Burnout pics or it didn’t happen!

🙂

Great to see it running well. Nice work.

Yes yes…I know…maybe the Gilbert PD can get a good shot of me doing burnouts for evidence…I mean for a keepsake to post on the forums? 🤣

I’ll ask my son what he’s up to today…maybe we can go mark up the empty Deloitte parking lot a bit while “creating content”… 😎

👋 y’all!

So…5000 miles in on the swap…I think? Pretty sure I swapped at 165,000, and I just rolled 170,000. I’m just gonna go with it.

Obvious Things​

The Jeep is so much more fun to drive now, I literally wake up before the sun comes up…every day…to go get coffee and “take a lap”. Thank you Circle K Sip n Save!

Other Things​

Tuning is challenging when you are as stubborn as I am against coughing up the money for HP Tuners or taking to a shop to tune it. I have spent quite a bit of time learning all the beeps and boops of configuring what is supposed to be a fairly simple/straightforward configuration of an LS. Lemme tell ya, it is not that simple, but when you figure it out, you might feel like you’re pretty freakin awesome.

Frame rattle…….da fluck? Passenger side header got cozy with the frame end of the uppper control arm. I got cozy with my angle grinder. Shaved a little bit off the top…VERY NICE! Beau 1, Jeep 0.

LS engines like to eat oil when you are slamming on them day in and day out. Not like in a concerning way like I’ve got compression/ring issues and blow by, but enough to where it’s like…BRO…I just filled that up. Turns out, some LS motors like to do this because of manifold pressure…and use the PCV hose connected to the valve cover as if it were a straw. Talked with some other folks, and given the RPM range I play in, they suggested an oil catch can to stop lubricating the inside of my intake manifold and blowing a little smoke when really gettin on it.

Likely Chinese built Sanden style AC compressors…bad. Actual Sanden AC compressors…good. Running the cold AC on a really hot day and the throttle response not feeling like you are pushing around the struggle bus? Really good.

I’m incredibly impressed with the NV3550. Like…shocked to be honest. I was doing a hot lap around the hood with my son the other day, and he was chatting me up like most 19 year old boys do while sitting at a light. I was watching the opposing traffic lights and when they turned red, I dove in to the throttle a bit, while still chatting, and then unloaded the clutch when our light turned green. That mofo smoked the rear 33” Goodyear Wrangler MT tires like they were already on fire. It was a glorious moment of bonding with my gear head son…it could have only been better had Lynard Skynard been playing on the radio during this time.

I also just took the Jeep wheeling up on the Montana Mountain loop out east…only died almost once. Zero issues from the transmission or keeping the motor cool while creeping around on the trails.

Ending Thoughts​

If you really are thinking of doing an LS swap, I can confidently say I would highly recommend it. I might even throw a few punches to make my recommendation clear if I were hopped up on enough Mountain Dew and you know, if we were close like that, and I could hit you in the face and we’d still be like friends…maybe frenemies, but still on a texting level or something like that.

And I’ll leave you with a few pics from this past weekend.

View attachment 353352

View attachment 353353

View attachment 353354

View attachment 353355

View attachment 353356

View attachment 353358

View attachment 353359

View attachment 353360

🕺🏻💨

View attachment 353357

That white truck doesn't look like it's been there long. What part of the trail was that on - the switchbacks on the east end?

That white truck doesn't look like it's been there long. What part of the trail was that on - the switchbacks on the east end?

Yes, at the bottom of the switch backs. It was fresh. Debris everywhere still. We called out for folks, but didn’t hear anything, so I hiked down to check for folks. Didn’t see anything. That trail should be closed, because that rut was just getting bigger. My buddy in the Bronco didn’t see it and drove in to it, but his lockers got him out. That truck was coming down, and clearly caught too much of an angle while trying to avoid it, probably slid down a bit, and the passenger front went under and over. The passenger glass was still on the ground.

A group of 5 vehicles came down as we were going up, we helped them cross. Ended up rallying all the folks to grab rocks to fill the hole, then I put my traction skis and another guy’s over top to distribute the weight. Got everyone across.

BA9F29FA-FE15-4ED5-B818-557C44CD7B99.jpeg

957F5A1C-C070-4BC3-94AC-851FB4CA8FDE.jpeg

Happy I managed no plumbers crack there. Lol and hiking in Converse, not the best idea I had all day. 😜

Yes, at the bottom of the switch backs. It was fresh. Debris everywhere still. We called out for folks, but didn’t hear anything, so I hiked down to check for folks. Didn’t see anything. That trail should be closed, because that rut was just getting bigger. My buddy in the Bronco didn’t see it and drove in to it, but his lockers got him out. That truck was coming down, and clearly caught too much of an angle while trying to avoid it, probably slid down a bit, and the passenger front went under and over. The passenger glass was still on the ground.

A group of 5 vehicles came down as we were going up, we helped them cross. Ended up rallying all the folks to grab rocks to fill the hole, then I put my traction skis and another guy’s over top to distribute the weight. Got everyone across.

View attachment 353433

View attachment 353434

Happy I managed no plumbers crack there. Lol and hiking in Converse, not the best idea I had all day. 😜

I ran that trail last year after the monsoons and the switchbacks were pretty nasty due to all the erosion. Pretty dicey coming down then too.

Killer Diller!

Nice job on every level.

A GoPro on a Jeep in front of you, and one behind you on a trail ride would make a great YT video. The sound is great.

Man. I've been looking down the LS rabbit hole lately. NOT jumping in yet. I'll just keep looking. This build was awesome and clean and probably the fastest ive ever seen on the internet.

Reactions: Fouledplugs