The Retarded RZR Thread

The thing I hate most about sxs is how hideously noisy they are to ride in. It's worse than a jeep because there's no firewall between me and the engine, it's worse than a motorcycle or an ATV because what bodywork there is just transmits it back at me. Fun to drive, sure, but I'll pass until the designs acknowledge that NVH is a thing that exists.

Gotta wear a headset with them, that’s what I do. They’re loud and remind me in many ways of riding motorcycles, which I also never do without ear protection.

Go with my local Jeep crew and maybe we do 10 miles in a day, guys breaking parts, getting stuck while starving to death, get home after midnight, it is like watching grass grow.

Go SxS riding and we do the same 10 miles in 20 minutes plus another 150 miles, stop for lunch at In and Out, and home by dark and only 10 gallons of gas, it is like riding a rocket ship down the Strip in Vegas.

75AC455D-2965-4145-A2F7-9CA32660733C_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: 1o1proof
Gotta wear a headset with them, that’s what I do. They’re loud and remind me in many ways of riding motorcycles, which I also never do without ear protection.

Yeah, I get that, and I used to ride motorcycles, wearing ear pro, but at least what I heard through the ear protection from my motorcycles was pleasant. We went on a SxS tour in Kauai last year and even with ear pro, what I did hear was just gross. Seemed like the CVT just wanted to keep the engine in the noise-band, the plastic panels on the months-old Polaris rattled like the worst clapped out car imaginable, and the powertrain noise was almost entirely just mechanical friction noise. For what they cost, it should be....more like a motorcycle. I don't feel like my expectations are unreasonable, given the motorcycles I rode were a Harley and a Suzuki DRZ400SM...not known for being quiet by any means.

I still had a blast but 100% honestly I would have rather done the same ride in a doorless, topless TJ.

Yeah, I get that, and I used to ride motorcycles, wearing ear pro, but at least what I heard through the ear protection from my motorcycles was pleasant. We went on a SxS tour in Kauai last year and even with ear pro, what I did hear was just gross. Seemed like the CVT just wanted to keep the engine in the noise-band, the plastic panels on the months-old Polaris rattled like the worst clapped out car imaginable, and the powertrain noise was almost entirely just mechanical friction noise. For what they cost, it should be....more like a motorcycle. I don't feel like my expectations are unreasonable, given the motorcycles I rode were a Harley and a Suzuki DRZ400SM...not known for being quiet by any means.

I still had a blast but 100% honestly I would have rather done the same ride in a doorless, topless TJ.

You aren’t entirely wrong. The CVT can be annoying at times. I’ve tuned mine to be much, much better than it was front wheel factory. Still, they aren’t nearly as good as an old school transmission when it comes to rock crawling. Where they are great is with wide open runs. That’s where the side-by-sides really shine.

I’ve seen some guys put different engine and transmission setups in them, but that’s a rabbit hole and at that point you probably are better off buying a Jeep.

What I really like mine for is flying at fast speeds over washboard desert roads. That’s where the fun really is. For rock crawling they really are just “okay” in comparison to a built Jeep.

You aren’t entirely wrong. The CVT can be annoying at times. I’ve tuned mine to be much, much better than it was front wheel factory. Still, they aren’t nearly as good as an old school transmission when it comes to rock crawling. Where they are great is with wide open runs. That’s where the side-by-sides really shine.

I’ve seen some guys put different engine and transmission setups in them, but that’s a rabbit hole and at that point you probably are better off buying a Jeep.

What I really like mine for is flying at fast speeds over washboard desert roads. That’s where the fun really is. For rock crawling they really are just “okay” in comparison to a built Jeep.

Hemi or LS swap?!!

Also the high speeds where the SxS shine is of no interest to me. Always needing to be on high alert not to get a head on crash around a tight turn or looking behind for them. My problem with them only involves the small % of the A-Holes. Which they probably feel about the small % of Jeep/Fullsize rigs.

I think they look like a lot of fun and have a place. Unfortunately they’ve completely ruined deer hunting in Arizona. They’re noisy as hell and people can be very inconsiderate of other hunters. What most don’t realize or even care about is road hunting is illegal here.

Reactions: RINC
I really probably shouldn’t talk crap about what people do to other vehicles. I did this to a Subaru crosstrek, lol.

View attachment 373124

View attachment 373125

Subarus get some grief amongst TJ fans but they are insanely popular in the Northwest. Both of my kids drive them and I'm glad of it. They are safe, affordable and have an excellent all wheel drive system compared to many others out there. I view them as great soft roaders. Off road though? What did you think of yours with those mods?

Hemi or LS swap?!!

Also the high speeds where the SxS shine is of no interest to me. Always needing to be on high alert not to get a head on crash around a tight turn or looking behind for them. My problem with them only involves the small % of the A-Holes. Which they probably feel about the small % of Jeep/Fullsize rigs.

No need for a V8. 250 horsepower in n a 1500 lb vehicle is incredibly quick.

• Love
Reactions: RINC
No need for a V8. 250 horsepower in n a 1500 lb vehicle is incredibly quick.

My HP is 107 (stock from factory) and I rarely use all of it in the terrain we ride, I ride with a crowd that range from early 40s to mid 60s so I guess we aren't the typical RZR bunch but we do challenge ourselves and machines.

My HP is 107 (stock from factory) and I rarely use all of it in the terrain we ride, I ride with a crowd that range from early 40s to mid 60s so I guess we aren't the typical RZR bunch but we do challenge ourselves and machines.

Mine is a turbo model. It had 168 hp stock but I added the Aftermarket Assassins stage 4 turbo. That with some other mods and 100 octane produces roughly 250 at the crank, it’s quite insane.

I take mine in the rocks quite frequently actually. It’s not as capable in the rocks as my Jeep was, but it’s actually a lot of fun.

SxS remind me of jetski's and waverunners. Annoying as fuck, and the riders are almost always douchebags. That being said, my BiL and one of my best friends have them, and they are decent to ride around in. I still like my jeep for 90% of trail riding I'll do. Its quieter, more comfortable and you can drive it on the street without worry (SxS are in a sketchy legal situation here).

We went on an 8 hour cruise in a 4 seat razr last summer. There was so much heat coming off the cooling system of that thing, I thought it was overheating. Nope, thats just normal.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Mine is a turbo model. It had 168 hp stock but I added the Aftermarket Assassins stage 4 turbo. That with some other mods and 100 octane produces roughly 250 at the crank, it’s quite insane.

I take mine in the rocks quite frequently actually. It’s not as capable in the rocks as my Jeep was, but it’s actually a lot of fun.
Have you ever checked your top speed at WOT? I changed the springs in the primary and secondary clutches and did some flyweight changes so mine would crawl better. It runs out of sheave at around 80 mph.

• Wow
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
SxS remind me of jetski's and waverunners. Annoying as fuck, and the riders are almost always douchebags. That being said, my BiL and one of my best friends have them, and they are decent to ride around in. I still like my jeep for 90% of trail riding I'll do. Its quieter, more comfortable and you can drive it on the street without worry (SxS are in a sketchy legal situation here).

We went on an 8 hour cruise in a 4 seat razr last summer. There was so much heat coming off the cooling system of that thing, I thought it was overheating. Nope, thats just normal.

You are absolutely correct on heat in the cab, we don't ride if its above 80 and prefer it in the 60s. I have a fan override switch that lets me cut it off if we go through deep water and also it has a constant on position that helps it run a little cooler.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ