The saga of my Rampage (or any other brand) soft top installation:

This is pretty much exactly the header I have. Which ironically enough is the Rampage header.

717mlwwxmwL._SL1500_.jpg

Not sure if this will help, but I have the Rampage header with the Rampage frameless top. From the front:
11d711d1987401e9dfcd28a09e489d99.jpg

And from the side:
f7312ff36000c35e4a3f463e9b39926b.jpg

I put it on in about 50 degree weather. I pre-heated everything and ran an overhead heater. It was tight, but everything went on front to back and fully zipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the clamp on my header. It has a bolt that tightens it. Does that tell us anything?

View attachment 72559
That's commonly called the No-Drill header. Tighten the bolts to get it to clamp into place. I had that style installed a few months for a bikini top and considered it enough of a PITA to install/re-install that I trashed it and the top that went with it.

As Jerry indicated - the only no-drill headers I’ve seen are intended for bikini or safari tops. These are much lighter and there is no support frame or bow needed as these tops don’t need to fold. A header for a full top should have the frame connected to it unless you have a frameless top (which you do not). I do not think you have the right header for the top and maybe not even the right frame. These tops are not necessarily interchangeable and more like an integrated system with differences due to patents. My current Bestop has minor differences from my original Mopar top even though they are made by the same people.

That's commonly called the No-Drill header. Tighten the bolts to get it to clamp into place. I had that style installed a few months for a bikini top and considered it enough of a PITA to install/re-install that I trashed it and the top that went with it.

I feel like I'm getting somewhere. Maybe I will look into Rampages bow set too. Maybe that is what I'm missing as well?

EDIT - I don't think they sell a frame set only. It gets 70f on Saturday. And doesn't stop raining until friday. So I have time. Maybe by time Saturday rolls around I'll have the header and the surrounds.

I'd like to thank mrblaine publicly. Whatever you need let me know. I'll pay you for the header. This is a big favor your doing for me. It's sincerely appreciated. And all of you for taking the time to help me out here.

Operation soak the window skins in a hot bath. HAs to wait for tomorrow. The powers that be put a squash on that about a half hour ago. lol. Hopefully that will be enough heat to get them stretched onto the frame. Seems like it would work as good, if not better, than anything else.

Last edited:
My suggestion - take the fabric off and start over. A gal I work with has a top like you have. Her header looks like yours. You tuck the plastic strip sewn along the front of the top fabric into that channel in the header, then go from there. With the bows up where they belong, you drape the fabric over the bows, fasten the velcro strips inside, then pull back on the fabric and tuck the plastic rear corners of the top into the rear body channel. Forget about doing the side and rear windows until you get to that point. If you can get the top on to that point, without the windows, most of the battle is won.

FYI, her top does not use door surrounds. They are not part of her top system. Would you happen to have the link to the Rampage top you bought?

Reactions: Stevemack
Well, according to that site, which says this about your top:

PRODUCT OVERVIEW
Replace aging, worn out factory soft-tops and gain some additional storage space inside the driving compartment. All the features of the original factory top with exclusive Rampage additions - Two zippered storage pockets. Produced in original factory specifications and colors, the top easily installs over factory framework and attaches to the factory mounting points and original equipment belt rail system. Fits all factory applications and includes a 2 year limited warranty. Image is for illustrative purposes only, top color is a dark gray.

It's designed to work with the oem header. I don't see how it can work with the header you have.

Well, according to that site, which says this about your top:

PRODUCT OVERVIEW
Replace aging, worn out factory soft-tops and gain some additional storage space inside the driving compartment. All the features of the original factory top with exclusive Rampage additions - Two zippered storage pockets. Produced in original factory specifications and colors, the top easily installs over factory framework and attaches to the factory mounting points and original equipment belt rail system. Fits all factory applications and includes a 2 year limited warranty. Image is for illustrative purposes only, top color is a dark gray.

It's designed to work with the oem header. I don't see how it can work with the header you have.

This could be it. There's alot of fabric wrapped up and around the header. That could explain the rest of it not going on. mrblaine may have saved my hide on this one.

There are several mfgs of replace-a-top tops that work with the oem bow system and hardware. None of them, if designed for that, will work with that Rampage header.

There are several mfgs of replace-a-top tops that work with the oem bow system and hardware. None of them, if designed for that, will work with that Rampage header.

I think I'm going to hold off on everything. Until I have a new header. If mrblaine can't find his. I'll just pick an OEM one up.

I feel like I'm getting somewhere. Maybe I will look into Rampages bow set too. Maybe that is what I'm missing as well?

EDIT - I don't think they sell a frame set only. It gets 70f on Saturday. And doesn't stop raining until friday. So I have time. Maybe by time Saturday rolls around I'll have the header and the surrounds.

I'd like to thank mrblaine publicly. Whatever you need let me know. I'll pay you for the header. This is a big favor your doing for me. It's sincerely appreciated. And all of you for taking the time to help me out here.

Operation soak the window skins in a hot bath. HAs to wait for tomorrow. The powers that be put a squash on that about a half hour ago. lol. Hopefully that will be enough heat to get them stretched onto the frame. Seems like it would work as good, if not better, than anything else.

I need you to verify something. Digging around on Rampage's site, I see two options that fit the TJ with some murkiness since the description says they are for a YJ but the year spread says TJ. One option is the frameless top which I know installs with a no drill header, the factory surrounds, and NO frame, thus the term, FRAMELESS.

I see another option that uses a frame but I can not find a distinction as to whether they use their own frame, or it is designed to fit an OEM frame.

If this can be clarified with a part number, that will get us going in the right direction.

If it is a frameless top, the no drill header that was on the rig needs to be used with no frame.

If it is a top designed to be used with a frame, Rampage needs to answer the question as to whether it needs their frame or is it designed to work with an OEM frame?

If it is the latter, then it would not be beneficial for me to remove the OEM header from my frame and instead the whole frame should be used.

I need you to verify something. Digging around on Rampage's site, I see two options that fit the TJ with some murkiness since the description says they are for a YJ but the year spread says TJ. One option is the frameless top which I know installs with a no drill header, the factory surrounds, and NO frame, thus the term, FRAMELESS.

I see another option that uses a frame but I can not find a distinction as to whether they use their own frame, or it is designed to fit an OEM frame.

If this can be clarified with a part number, that will get us going in the right direction.

If it is a frameless top, the no drill header that was on the rig needs to be used with no frame.

If it is a top designed to be used with a frame, Rampage needs to answer the question as to whether it needs their frame or is it designed to work with an OEM frame?

If it is the latter, then it would not be beneficial for me to remove the OEM header from my frame and instead the whole frame should be used.
I didn't think of that...I've been focusing so much on the header, which definitely is not OEM, that I failed to question whether the frame is OEM. You might be trying to fit a replace-a-top for an OEM bow system onto a bow system it's not designed for. @mrblaine has a good point. If that header is wrong for the top you bought, chances are the frame is, also.

@moab posted a link to 4wp above, and by the Rampage part no., it is this top:

https://www.rampageproducts.com/rampage-99536-oem-replacement-for-soft-upper-doors

I'm a bit late to the party, but this is definitely a frame style top, judging by the pics on page 2. I definitely agree that the best course of action is to call Rampage with the part number to see about what frame is needed and where to get it.

One thing I've learned dealing with trying to get a replacement window for my Rampage top is that knowing the exact part number is very important since they make a lot of similar variants of the same product over time since they have at times switched manufacturers which sometimes results in a zipper on one top going a different direction than the last version and other quirks like that.

@moab If you haven't yet, give Rampage a call: 800-328-2409
https://www.rampageproducts.com/contact/

I'm a bit late to the party, but this is definitely a frame style top, judging by the pics on page 2. I definitely agree that the best course of action is to call Rampage with the part number to see about what frame is needed and where to get it.

One thing I've learned dealing with trying to get a replacement window for my Rampage top is that knowing the exact part number is very important since they make a lot of similar variants of the same product over time since they have at times switched manufacturers which sometimes results in a zipper on one top going a different direction than the last version and other quirks like that.

@moab If you haven't yet, give Rampage a call: 800-328-2409
https://www.rampageproducts.com/contact/
Awesome. Now all we need to do is get him an OEM frame and this should start to get better.

Reactions: Equilibrium31
Man. You guys are here working on this when I'm not even here. Thank you so much!!! lol.

I called Rampage and they said it takes the OEM frame. How can I tell if I have an OEM frame?