The ultimate setup for 33 inch tires?

I thought you meant unlikely 12.5 tires.

Still having trouble picking a wheel and tire combo with my setup, but that can probably be its own thread

4" Rough Country X-Series lift with JKS F&R Track Bars, Fox shocks, adjustable upper and lower control arms (F&R), factory 3:73 gears, 5-speed trans, SYE with pinion angle set properly, 17" Dirty Life Roadkill (real) beadlocks with 285/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers (33").

After countless hours of reading, I decided to do a kit that had upper/lower adjustability in the front and rear. I knew the kit would only be as good as the shocks, so I went with Fox shocks and steering stabilizer.

After install was complete, an 80 mph drive revealed the SYE was a must.

Following the SYE installation and resetting the pinion angle, the Jeep drives like a dream.

I have a 2021 JLUR, and a 2001 TJ Sport, but this 1999 Sahara TJ is my daily. It's predictable, easy to drive, does NOT need re-geared, and will float down the interstate at 80 mph alongside every other Floridian. There are no acceleration issues (c'mon, it's a 4.0 TJ, I don't expect much more than to be able to keep up with the flow of traffic), no braking issues (brakes strong and predictable), nor are there any vibrations (if I want to take my hands off the wheel at a true 80 mph, it goes straight and true), nor is there any weird quirks.

I couldn't be happier about the rig, really.

Gold Sahara.jpg

• Face Palm
Reactions: Tob
285s (33) on JK wheels. 3" lift with Bilstein's. Will slightly rub on extreme flexing, but I mostly do desert trails and such. I can do 80 MPH all day long on the highway.

Adapter1.jpg

4" Rough Country X-Series lift with JKS F&R Track Bars, Fox shocks, adjustable upper and lower control arms (F&R), factory 3:73 gears, 5-speed trans, SYE with pinion angle set properly, 17" Dirty Life Roadkill (real) beadlocks with 285/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers (33").

After countless hours of reading, I decided to do a kit that had upper/lower adjustability in the front and rear. I knew the kit would only be as good as the shocks, so I went with Fox shocks and steering stabilizer.

After install was complete, an 80 mph drive revealed the SYE was a must.

Following the SYE installation and resetting the pinion angle, the Jeep drives like a dream.

I have a 2021 JLUR, and a 2001 TJ Sport, but this 1999 Sahara TJ is my daily. It's predictable, easy to drive, does NOT need re-geared, and will float down the interstate at 80 mph alongside every other Floridian. There are no acceleration issues (c'mon, it's a 4.0 TJ, I don't expect much more than to be able to keep up with the flow of traffic), no braking issues (brakes strong and predictable), nor are there any vibrations (if I want to take my hands off the wheel at a true 80 mph, it goes straight and true), nor is there any weird quirks.

I couldn't be happier about the rig, really.

View attachment 269550
Which fox shocks are you running with your lift?

My build, of course!

For 33's I'd aim for 4" of overall lift. Assuming a Savvy 1.25" BL, you're looking for a spring that gives you in the 2.75-3" range. These are not a dime a dozen. So, you end up looking at JKS 3" or OME 2.5 with a bigger spacer. Then you have the need for a MML to go along with the BL and prepare the way for a TT later, which would be an ultimate for a Jeep on 33's. The JKS front adjustable trackbar, an ORO swaylock, a rear extended sway bar links, rear adjustable trackbar. A wheel with ~4" BS. 33x12.5 or 10.5, your choice. A re-gear to proper gear ratio for your transmission/engine/ tire size. A front and rear selectable locker. Savvy UnderArmor, full tuck, Tom Wood DC DS, Currie rear upper and lower CA's. LOL! It gets expensive.
He is correct- some owners have to sell their TJs to afford all that. Gets tough.

He is correct- some owners have to sell their TJs to afford all that. Gets tough.
I don't even have all that list.............yet. It is expensive, and I'm totally happy with where mine is now, apart from a few little things to make perfect. I think just take it step by step over a few years and not do it all at once. Do one thing, wheel it, see how it works, then let the Jeep tell you what it needs to go to the next level, then you've saved and you can do that, then keep doing that. I do a few things every year and honestly, you can go bigger and go backward a little bit, so it's good to take your time and really figure out what the Jeep needs. Bigger is not always better. Done right is always better. My humble .02c after being corrected so many times.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I don't even have all that list.............yet. It is expensive, and I'm totally happy with where mine is now, apart from a few little things to make perfect. I think just take it step by step over a few years and not do it all at once. Do one thing, wheel it, see how it works, then let the Jeep tell you what it needs to go to the next level, then you've saved and you can do that, then keep doing that. I do a few things every year and honestly, you can go bigger and go backward a little bit, so it's good to take your time and really figure out what the Jeep needs. Bigger is not always better. Done right is always better. My humble .02c after being corrected so many times.
That is a really good post and anyone that is thinking of building one should read that.

Reactions: DrDmoney
That is a really good post and anyone that is thinking of building one should read that.
Boy I miss wheelin' right now. I work all week and the OHV's are closed and I'm busy as hell and just can't get out there, but I would love to right now. For those running Fox 2.0's, I had a set, I didn't like them at all. I actually prefer the Rancho 5000X, but to each his own. It's a personal preference.

34082214-C67E-4456-9596-3A1B413DF696.jpeg

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Boy I miss wheelin' right now. I work all week and the OHV's are closed and I'm busy as hell and just can't get out there, but I would love to right now. For those running Fox 2.0's, I had a set, I didn't like them at all. I actually prefer the Rancho 5000X, but to each his own. It's a personal preference.

View attachment 271329
Flexin’ like a boy dog.

Reactions: JMT
Don't know, don't use them. I don't see the value in them, I don't like the shock options for short lift heights, I don't see the value in outboarding a shock to solve that problem at that lift height, and I gave away the last set I had because I despised them so much.

That is a case of the tail wagging the dog. Why 3" springs? If you wanna split that particular hair, run a 4" with no body lift for your 33's and actually build a useful suspension. That way when you get done dicking around, get it set up right and finally move to 35's, all you need is a body lift and 35's.
Exactly the comment/opinion/information i needed.

This is news to me.
I'm not aware of a 3.88 ratio . The commonly used TJ ratios are 3.73, 4.10, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13, 5.38.
What gearing would you recommend
For your rig? With the 3 speed auto, 4.10s are ideal for 33s. If you have 3.73s currently, 4.10s wouldn't be enough of a change to pay for a regear IMO.

Last edited:
1688444753047.png

Sitting on 33.5s. Total lift of ~3.75-4". 1.25 BL, 2.5" OME. Also did a MML and savvy cable shifter. Researching belly-ups now and hoping to get one next year. That and 5.38 is probably close to perfection for me.

This year I want to get brakes done, probably the 16" big-brake kit. Maybe a front sway-loc. Onboard air with the MORE + ARB combo.

Hey she only pulls 276,000 rpm at highway speed, it's good for overcoming the rolling resistance and drag

You guys seen the Rubicon online that got towed in 4Lo ?

It was amazing - ended up turning like 55,000 RPM.