Things I have found that rattle, chirp, or squeak

This could also be part of a sound deadening thread, but left over pieces of that Noico sticky butyl material make a great cure for rattles and squeaks. Just cram it into small spaces and it sticks great. I use it under screws, along plastic contact points, under connectors, or anywhere else where something can bump or slide against something else and make a sound. I learned that when I worked at a used car lot in high school in the 1970s. We had something similar and we could make someone's old trade-in sound as tight as a new car.

Reactions: AndyG
Oh my goodness, I have so many squeaks and now I'm inspired to fix them!
The only one I've found so far was coming from the back, kind of high pitched nails on chalkboard, but still faint. It was coming from the rear seat belt mechanism. There is a little steel ball in a cage that locks the seat belt, put a little silicone spray lube on it and it hasn't made a sound since. That was over a year ago.

Reactions: sideproject
rattle noise on bumps at low speed was a broken rear brake pad tension spring for my rear disc brakes. I had always been under the assumption this was sway bar/linkage noise even after replacing them 🤦‍♂️

whistle/whine noise under load maintaining speed (similar to bad pulley bearing under load but faint) was a dry loose rubber elbow connection at the larger vacuum nipple coming off the intake manifold side. temporarily resolved by using some small hose clamps i had on hand until i can source/find time to replace it. this noise would come and go while driving, noise was non existent at idle and WOT.. just while driving and maintaining speed.

I also was missing two of those four nuts for the vertical bolts that the dash hangs on. It was the two middle nuts. Without any nuts there at all, my dash not only rattled, but bounced. So easy to fix and it was instantly resolved.
What size were the threads on the nuts? I took mine off when I threw in a Bluetooth head unit and now it chirps like a bird. I really want to find some to put back on there!

What size were the threads on the nuts? I took mine off when I threw in a Bluetooth head unit and now it chirps like a bird. I really want to find some to put back on there!
I don't remember. I just took one of the remaining nuts to the hardware store and matched it. I do remember that I used a 10mm deep socket to remove/replace the nuts.

I've been following this thread for fun. I never thought my 2004 Rubicon was noisy. Recently, my wife and I bought a new Gladiator. The new truck is Rolls-Royce quiet compared to my TJ. :) I guess I need to get serious about noise abatement.

Man am I glad I’m not the only one OCD about squeaks and rattles!

When I first got my rig, I found a quart jars worth of nuts, bolts, change, rocks, old lighters, zip ties, an old vape pen and a couple cartridges, acorns, some small pine cones, bottle caps, and a few roaches! That took care of a lot of rattling.

But no stinky cigarette butts!

Excellent thread. Excellent. Great posts.

Noises are information....and for the most part saying something is moving that shouldn't be or rubbing.

If you want your TJ/LJ to feel more "quality"....chase those squeaks and chirps down. My cluster to dash and dash to tub connection squeaked/chirped and popped. I took it apart, used sound mat where practical as an insulator and RTV silicone where the plastic meets plastic at the cluster dash connection, as well as beefier screws....dead silent.

I've chased so many noises I can't remember them all.....but everytime it made the Jeep nicer and revealed something that needed attention.

Stableseat kits work, rear seat belts need straps when the top is down, all pivot points need a good lubricant, bushings need an eye kept on them ( a TJ has about 45-50 including the body mounts, I've stopped trying to remember) spare tires for sure, center caps, this list goes on.

That goo on the tub seams? Never remove that...it is there for the same reason and more.

Great thread. Keep it going.

Reactions: TominAZ and kmas0n
A few years ago I replaced the plastic channels that run on the windshield next to the doors. These pieces also have a small notch that the hardtop or the door surrounds nestle into. Anyway, the new items removed a lot of wind noise.

I get a lot of noise from the shift lever and knob. I will address it with more rubber around the shift lever and some insulation under the knob pattern cap. The shift lever points directly at my right ear, and currently I keep a winter glove in the cab to put over the lever while I am driving.

Continuously have to adjust the top of the metal Add A Trunk, as the two latches will squeak. I haven't found a permanent fix yet.

Finally, I switched over to quick connects for the soft top. The knobs on the quick connects rattle continuously. Solved it by using some rubber washers that have a nylon spacer sewn to them. I cut a slit into the washers and put them on with the rubber side facing the quick connect knob.

My steering wheel shaft where it goes thru the firewall squeaks when I turn the wheel on slow turns. My driver seat makes a clicking noise when I'm driving down the road. I move it forward and then back and it briefly goes away. Guessing the nylon track bushings are going south?

Reactions: fourpointzero
I don't have the best hearing anymore. My left ear doesn't require a hearing aid but my right ear does and even when I use the hearing aid for my right ear it sometimes helps and sometimes doesn't.

I do occasionally hear rattling (in my dash?). My wife and/or son hear it more frequently. The best way I have found to take care of the problem is to TURN UP THE RADIO!
Allman Brothers have been healing squeaks for me for almost fifty years!!

Reactions: John Cooper
Oh my goodness, I have so many squeaks and now I'm inspired to fix them!
The only one I've found so far was coming from the back, kind of high pitched nails on chalkboard, but still faint. It was coming from the rear seat belt mechanism. There is a little steel ball in a cage that locks the seat belt, put a little silicone spray lube on it and it hasn't made a sound since. That was over a year ago.

I think I have this issue and it's driving me insane. I will give this a try