Things not working right after clutch & flywheel replacement

Nicholg2286

I replaced the flywheel, clutch, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, master and slave cylinders in my 2001 Wrangler. Replacement seemed to go fine. I had no difficulties. The cylinders came assembled as an all in one unit and supposedly doesn’t require bleeding.

Pedal feels fine- firm but not hard, but the clutch clearly doesn’t disengage. Grinds and won’t allow into reverse nor any other gear. Running with trans in neutral there are no word noises or smells. I’ve read that the hydraulic clutches aren’t adjustable.

I’m at a loss where to go from here. Any suggestions for a newbie on this site? B Many thanks

Brands of parts? We typically recommend Luk.

Torqued everything to spec?

Good work diving in head first...been at this a while and sometimes it just takes a couple of laps. I did my rear main four times before I got it sealed up. And my AX-15 transmission was in and out seven times because the rebuilder kept screwing up.

-Mac

How far can you depress the clutch pedal before you can feel any resistance? Your symptom sounds just like a hydraulic system that still has air it. I know you said the part didn’t require bleeding, but someone once told me I could be anything I want. If you have more than an inch or more of free play in the pedal, I would bleed the system really well.

How far can you depress the clutch pedal before you can feel any resistance? Your symptom sounds just like a hydraulic system that still has air it. I know you said the part didn’t require bleeding, but someone once told me I could be anything I want. If you have more than an inch or more of free play in the pedal, I would bleed the system really well.

I feel slight resistance (like spring resistance) almost immediately.

Brands of parts? We typically recommend Luk.

Torqued everything to spec?

Good work diving in head first...been at this a while and sometimes it just takes a couple of laps. I did my rear main four times before I got it sealed up. And my AX-15 transmission was in and out seven times because the rebuilder kept screwing up.

-Mac

IMG_7162.jpeg

That doesn’t sound like air then. Did you match the new parts to the old parts? Mis-boxed parts aren’t uncommon. Easier said than done, but double check your assembly. The disk installed backwards can cause the clutch to drag and not fully disengage. Not knocking your abilities, it’s just the process involves going after the most likely causes first. I’ve been doing it over 25 years and still brain fart stuff.

Reactions: Andy-WhiteTJ
I know I'm a little late to the game, but I had the exact problem with mine. I racked my brain trying to figure out what was wrong. Turned out, the transmission had separated from the engine about a half inch on one side and was not allowing the clutch disc to fully disengage. The last time the transmission was pulled and re-installed, the mounting bolt had cross-threaded into the guide pin and and not fully into the engine itself, causing the engine/transmission separation. After taking it to a shop and spending $3,235.00, problem fixed. JEEP= Just Empty Every Pocket

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I know I'm a little late to the game, but I had the exact problem with mine. I racked my brain trying to figure out what was wrong. Turned out, the transmission had separated from the engine about a half inch on one side and was not allowing the clutch disc to fully disengage. The last time the transmission was pulled and re-installed, the mounting bolt had cross-threaded into the guide pin and and not fully into the engine itself, causing the engine/transmission separation. After taking it to a shop and spending $3,235.00, problem fixed. JEEP= Just Empty Every Pocket

I’ll have to check for that. Great idea!

Are you sure you don't have the clutch disc in backwards?

I've looked at that every time I do a clutch job and figured there really shouldn't be any way to do that since the center spline section sticks out so much further on one side. I suppose all things are possible but you'd really have to want to do it intentionally wrong to accomplish that.