TJ Fest 2021 Hats
Order your Jeep Wrangler TJ Fest 2021 hats today! Click here for ordering instructions.

Those with tilt steering, do you have any issues?

Vtx531

TJ Enthusiast
I was thinking about adding tilt steering. I just want to make sure I wouldn’t be doing something that might cause problems.

Anyone have problems with the tilt mechanism holding steady or anything else?

Non-tilt column is reliable. Hoping the tilt column is too. Thanks.

Irun

Jeep Addict
Supporting Member
I've had multiple TJ/LJs with tilt and never had an issue. The only thing I could see might be a problem would be wiring fatigue if you raise it up and down a lot. That said, I've never seen any evidence of this. The recent TJ I picked up doesn't have tilt and I'm also considering adding it.

Artsifrtsi

Likes to shove grapes in butthole
Why? Tilt steering has got to be the stupidest idea ever.

It's great, but I set it once and haven't needed to move again. IIRC it also telescopes, which makes it more comfortable to set the seat. (also makes getting the cluster or dash easier to remove) It doesn't use the GM style, it is the type that has the large lever underneath.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj

jjvw

Everything is great. No issues.
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Every so often if I make hard landing, the tilt lever will drop out and the steering wheel will flop around.

Reactions: DickD1911 and Irun

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
We have "height adjustable" steering on two of our three cars, including the Jeep. Which makes more sense than tilt - but not by much. Its set at the highest "non adjustable" location and stays there. But my preferred seating position is much closer to the wheel than most people like, so wheel position doesn't really matter that much.

L J

TJ Addict
After more than a decade of regular use, the lever lost tension and would fall on occasion. A spring and a couple of drilled holes remedied the issue.

voodooridr

TJ Enthusiast
The column on my '06 would fall every time I hit a bump so I got it positioned where I liked it and tightened the nut on the lever shaft
It probably won't adjust anymore but it's where I want it so who cares

JMT

The Jeep Guy
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I was thinking about adding tilt steering. I just want to make sure I wouldn’t be doing something that might cause problems.

Anyone have problems with the tilt mechanism holding steady or anything else?

Non-tilt column is reliable. Hoping the tilt column is too. Thanks.
Never had a problem with my tilt steering. Works great and nice because I have more than one driver and I like my steering wheel low and sometimes I want to raise it up out of the way to get under the dash.

Reactions: L J and AndyG

Brianj5600

TJ Addict
The column on my '06 would fall every time I hit a bump so I got it positioned where I liked it and tightened the nut on the lever shaft
It probably won't adjust anymore but it's where I want it so who cares

Mine does not stay in place and the lever has very little resistance. Is there any disassembly or just simply tighten the nut?

Wise Mule

Supporting Member
To answer a question in a group setting is always a challenge. We all know about opinions and since all of us here share a passion for Jeeps, it’s all good. With out question the quintessential “Jeep” is the early Willys which then moved up to the CivilIan Jeep(CJ). Love em and we have one In our family of Jeeps (with a small block Chevy, etc...)
Let’s now talk about comfort. GET THE TILT STEERING. its good and there is a reason that you asked the question. Make sure that you obtain a quality unit, not something that survived a front impact, etc...