Thoughts and recommendations on welders?

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I've been getting more serious about home fabrication work lately and the cheapo HF flux welder I've been using for simple stuff needs to be replaced. I don't need a professional setup, but am interested in a MIG welder for being able to weld mild steel, stainless steel and aluminum. The other requirement I have is for being able to run 120/220. I've had decent luck with a friends Hobart 140, but need something a little more versatile. Eastwood has a MIG 250 that seems to meet my requirements, as well as a Multi-Process version. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated!

I absolutely love my Hobart 210 MVP. It's set up to run 110/220v, comes with all gauges and hoses, is spool gun ready, plug n play for aluminum, does MIG, and flux core.

Great machine. Easy to use, great beads, every time. USA made!

Hobart 210 MVP

Reactions: TJ Starting
You may want to check out the HF Vulcan line. I've heard rumors that the Vulcan line was designed by former engineer(s) of Lincoln. I've heard good reviews.

I personally lean towards Miller or Lincoln.

Red or blue are the only real options if you want a long lasting tool. The older transformer type machines are bullet proof vs the new mosfet machines. Most older machines can be had cheap if you search the local classifieds. Tim