Thoughts on Optima batteries?

#1 reason to run AGM is that they are considered non spillable and do not create the acid corrosion of a regular lead acid battery. I despise corrosion, so I run AGM in everything that requires a SLI or Deep Cycle battery.
X2, that lack of connector corrosion is another benefit of an AGM battery I often forget to mention. They don't vent off sulphuric fumes which is what causes battery connector corrosion. Some say it's hydrogen fumes but whatever, AGM batteries don't vent it and you don't get corroded connectors with an AGM battery.

Last edited:
I bought a EverStart AGM from Oriellys 4 years ago (maybe 5?). Ive not had any issues with it since installing. My winch is wired directly to it and is used multiple times throughout the summer months. The coldest temps it has seen has probably been -10F, and warmest in the summer has been every bit of 100F.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I'm going to add my $.02 as well as ask a question (or two).

Are the AGM and other brands being recommended dry cell batteries? What year did Optima's become a poor choice?

I ask because 1) I've had my red top Optima for around 10 years so far and no issues (including a year where it sat unused except for about a week between two six-month periods, and last week when we had multiple days of -30 to -65 temps), and 2) due to experience using both wet and dry cell batteries in very extreme conditions. When the time comes to replace my current battery I'd like to make sure I go with a good option.

During my 2003-04 deployment in Iraq we started with regular wet cell batteries in our semi's. They were driven every days, usually 10-16 hours per day, more times than not hauling loads that exceeded recommended weight limits, and a good 1/3 of the roads were not finished (as in one or more lanes would only be at the base layer stage) and a drop of 6" or more when having to change lanes wasn't unusual. We would frequently also have to drive off road (as in no road). There were a lot of corrosion issues on the terminals as well as crystalization in random places in the battery boxes. At a minimum we had to refill the water levels once a week. About 3 or 4 months in we swapped out all the batteries to dry cells after cleaning off the electrical connectors and the boxes. No issues after that. Temps we operated in ranged from around freezing to 150+ degrees.

While looking for a replacement battery for my TJ back in 2008 the red tops were the closest I could find to what we were using in our semis, so that is what I went with. As I said previous I'm going on ten years with mine and so far (knock on wood since I'm talking about it) no issues. Having seen they're quality has changed, I'm leaning toward a different brand for when I need to replace mine in the future.

I've been running Optimas for years now, I didn't know they sold and moved to Mexico. As long as they continue to give me a battery at 100% free for a replacement for a faulty battery (I've never had one fail) I'll continue buying them. The last one died one month prior to the expiration date and they swapped it out for a new one. However, I do have the AC Delco gel and love it too and I keep the Optima on a trickle charger when I'm not driving my truck. fwiw

What year did Optima's become a poor choice?
The last one I turned back in to Costco was like 9 yrs ago. They wouldn't swap it out for another because they stopped carrying Optima altogether. And frankly, I wasn't going to go thru the routine again anyway (failing battery, recovery, then the warranty process).

I'm going to add my $.02 as well as ask a question (or two).

Are the AGM and other brands being recommended dry cell batteries? What year did Optima's become a poor choice?

I ask because 1) I've had my red top Optima for around 10 years so far and no issues (including a year where it sat unused except for about a week between two six-month periods, and last week when we had multiple days of -30 to -65 temps), and 2) due to experience using both wet and dry cell batteries in very extreme conditions. When the time comes to replace my current battery I'd like to make sure I go with a good option.

During my 2003-04 deployment in Iraq we started with regular wet cell batteries in our semi's. They were driven every days, usually 10-16 hours per day, more times than not hauling loads that exceeded recommended weight limits, and a good 1/3 of the roads were not finished (as in one or more lanes would only be at the base layer stage) and a drop of 6" or more when having to change lanes wasn't unusual. We would frequently also have to drive off road (as in no road). There were a lot of corrosion issues on the terminals as well as crystalization in random places in the battery boxes. At a minimum we had to refill the water levels once a week. About 3 or 4 months in we swapped out all the batteries to dry cells after cleaning off the electrical connectors and the boxes. No issues after that. Temps we operated in ranged from around freezing to 150+ degrees.

While looking for a replacement battery for my TJ back in 2008 the red tops were the closest I could find to what we were using in our semis, so that is what I went with. As I said previous I'm going on ten years with mine and so far (knock on wood since I'm talking about it) no issues. Having seen they're quality has changed, I'm leaning toward a different brand for when I need to replace mine in the future.
You are mixing up battery terms. Wet= flooded, dry is a typical flashlight battery, gel is actually that, the electrolyte is a gel between lead plates, and the one you are after is AGM or absorbent glass mat. AGM has fiberglass mats that hold the electrolyte between the lead plates so they are considered "non-spillable". Non-spillable in quotes because they are not wholly sealed. Instead they are what is known as a VRLA or valve regulated lead acid type that utilizes a one way check valve to vent the battery. They are typically able to be mounted in any position except terminals straight down due to the valve.

There are two issues with Optima, both actual, one personal. One is very inconsistent reliability after manufacturing moved to Mexico. As you can tell by the responses any time this discussion comes up, some folks have great luck with them, others like myself see dead ones very often that shouldn't be dead.

Optima has attempted to explain this away with various folks hopping on the forums but the #1 reason they use to explain the problem is also my #2 personal reason why I won't use them. They blame the user for selecting a red top instead of a yellow due to the Deep Cycle nature of our needs when we have a winch mounted. They do not recommend a red if you have a winch. My issue with that is many folks run a winch with the OEM flooded cell and the only change they made was to switch to a Red Top Optima which then died in a much shorter time than the OEM lasted. You can use whatever metric satisfies you but a battery that won't last as long as an OEM in the same conditions is not a good battery regardless of what the company says is the reason it died.

My #1 reason why I don't use them is I get to work on lots of rigs. I have only had a very small number of Optima equipped rigs I've been around that didn't have battery issues. If I go to move a rig and it has a bad battery and won't start, 90% of the time it has an Optima under the hood.

My #3 reason is I don't like the inefficiency of the design. There is a lot of wasted space in the rolls of lead and mat that can be used for more lead and mat. More lead and mat in the same space makes a better battery.

Reactions: danof76 and Chris
You are mixing up battery terms. Wet= flooded, dry is a typical flashlight battery, gel is actually that, the electrolyte is a gel between lead plates, and the one you are after is AGM or absorbent glass mat. AGM has fiberglass mats that hold the electrolyte between the lead plates so they are considered "non-spillable". Non-spillable in quotes because they are not wholly sealed. Instead they are what is known as a VRLA or valve regulated lead acid type that utilizes a one way check valve to vent the battery. They are typically able to be mounted in any position except terminals straight down due to the valve.

There are two issues with Optima, both actual, one personal. One is very inconsistent reliability after manufacturing moved to Mexico. As you can tell by the responses any time this discussion comes up, some folks have great luck with them, others like myself see dead ones very often that shouldn't be dead.

Optima has attempted to explain this away with various folks hopping on the forums but the #1 reason they use to explain the problem is also my #2 personal reason why I won't use them. They blame the user for selecting a red top instead of a yellow due to the Deep Cycle nature of our needs when we have a winch mounted. They do not recommend a red if you have a winch. My issue with that is many folks run a winch with the OEM flooded cell and the only change they made was to switch to a Red Top Optima which then died in a much shorter time than the OEM lasted. You can use whatever metric satisfies you but a battery that won't last as long as an OEM in the same conditions is not a good battery regardless of what the company says is the reason it died.

My #1 reason why I don't use them is I get to work on lots of rigs. I have only had a very small number of Optima equipped rigs I've been around that didn't have battery issues. If I go to move a rig and it has a bad battery and won't start, 90% of the time it has an Optima under the hood.

My #3 reason is I don't like the inefficiency of the design. There is a lot of wasted space in the rolls of lead and mat that can be used for more lead and mat. More lead and mat in the same space makes a better battery.
Thank you for letting me know I was misunderstanding terms, I appreciate it! :)

I also appreciate you clarifying how things work. This site never ceases to educate and help me improve my understanding of things :)

Thank you for letting me know I was misunderstanding terms, I appreciate it! :)

I also appreciate you clarifying how things work. This site never ceases to educate and help me improve my understanding of things :)
To put the efficiency of space into a very clear perspective, think about how much more beer you would get in a typical 6 pack if the cans were square instead of round for the same height. That's a lot more beer.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
To put the efficiency of space into a very clear perspective, think about how much more beer you would get in a typical 6 pack if the cans were square instead of round for the same height. That's a lot more beer.
Ok now that's a way of picturing it that makes the concept "click" for me.

Here's a good illustration to the difference between Optima's space wasting design and a conventional design.

And if you compare the weights of a Group 34 size Optima vs. a Group 34 size conventional battery like an Odyssey, Deka, Bosch, etc. the Optima weighs significantly less. To me that means you get less battery with Optima's 6-pack design. That plus my three prematurely failed Optimas means I'll never use another Optima.

And as a clarification to the often mentioned gel cell term, that AC-Delco battery you mentioned Tray is not a gel cell any more than Optima's batteries are gel cells. None of the batteries we use in our Jeeps are gel cell designs. It's not easy to convert to a gel cell battery, they require a different type of charging system. Not to mention gel cell batteries have a high "internal impedance" which means they're not suitable for high current uses like winches or able to take a fast charge rate like a lead-acid battery can. Odyssey, AC-Delco, Deka, Duralast, Diehard, etc. batteries are all lead-acid batteries. AGM batteries are lead-acid batteries. :)

Last edited:
Here's a good illustration to the difference between Optima's space wasting design and a conventional design.

View attachment 76266

And if you compare the weights of a Group 34 size Optima vs. a Group 34 size conventional battery like an Odyssey, Deka, Bosch, etc. the Optima weighs significantly less. To me that means you get less battery with Optima's 6-pack design. That plus my three prematurely failed Optimas means I'll never use another Optima.

And as a clarification to the often mentioned gel cell term, that AC-Delco battery you mentioned Tray is not a gel cell any more than Optima's batteries are gel cells. None of the batteries we use in our Jeeps are gel cell designs. It's not easy to convert to a gel cell battery, they require a different type of charging system. Not to mention gel cell batteries have a high "internal impedance" which means they're not suitable for high current uses like winches or able to take a fast charge rate like a lead-acid battery can. Odyssey, AC-Delco, Deka, Duralast, Diehard, etc. batteries are all lead-acid batteries. AGM batteries are lead-acid batteries. :)
To be fair with regard to my comment and the picture, the cells are offset somewhat so they make a little better use of the space than the pic shows but not much.

To be fair with regard to my comment and the picture, the cells are offset somewhat so they make a little better use of the space than the pic shows but not much.
Yes, though the significant weight difference alone shows how much more battery is packed into the same Group size conventional design. :)

Seat of my pants experience, had one warrantied by Costco at year 5 on a six year warranty, I had to point them to the warranty details, then the new battery only had 3 years, it lasted 2 years and I bought an interstate agm battery, and I still have it today with no problems, no special use on the battery, winch and lights I rarely use. I won’t buy one again.

I am running Dual Optima yellows in my Jeep. I have them in a Rugged Ridge battery hold down made for the Optimas. I have had way better luck with my Optimas than others on this forum. I am also running dual Yellows in my GMC too. No issues with either of those either.

I do have a blue top in my tent trailer, and it decharges rather quickly, and takes longer to charge than normal in my opinion, but it is still kicking it. I am assuming my blue top will die before my yellows do. I have read others have had issues with theirs, but mine have been rock solid so far. Both my duals in both my rigs are over 2 years old each.

I also have a optima batter charger and the clamps broke on it. They are a plug in type module. I emailed optima and told them, and they responded that they will send me out new clamps, but I have never heard or seen from them since, so their customer service is yet to be desired.

the other battery is mounted the same direction directly below this battery.

Reactions: ElectricWizard
I was unaware of Optima's issues when I purchased my red-top around 6 years ago. Luckily I've never had any problems with mine but then again this battery could not have seen any lighter duty. I should get a battery sooner than later now that mine is around 6 years of age and will be looking at AGM or comparable.

Yes, though the significant weight difference alone shows how much more battery is packed into the same Group size conventional design. :)
Hey Jerry, sounds like you've forgotten more about batteries than I'll ever know. lol
Jerry, does Optima still honor the 100% free replacement policy they used to have? I'm going on about 3 yrs on my latest Optima and to be honest, I'm kind of committed to the Optima at this point as I have a billet battery hold down in my truck that I'm very fond of and would hate to have to lose it.

IMG_20150909_192214_762.jpg

Hey Jerry, sounds like you've forgotten more about batteries than I'll ever know. lol
Jerry, does Optima still honor the 100% free replacement policy they used to have? I'm going on about 3 yrs on my latest Optima and to be honest, I'm kind of committed to the Optima at this point as I have a billet battery hold down in my truck that I'm very fond of and would hate to have to lose it.
I don't know, I'd contact Optima to see what they say. And no doubt there are billet battery hold downs made for non-Optima batteries. I'd rather have a long lasting battery than commit again to Optima just because of the hold down. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tray Burge