Thoughts on Optima batteries?

I have been running AGMs in all of my vehicles, the biggest thing I have found is if you slowly run them dead (sitting not on a maintainer,) they don't seem to come back very easy.

I have been running AGMs in all of my vehicles, the biggest thing I have found is if you slowly run them dead (sitting not on a maintainer,) they don't seem to come back very easy.
Some do, Optimas especially don't. That's why Optima was forced to introduce their own special charger to help recover them. A standard battery charger won't bring back an Optima that has too low of a charge.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Twopoint
Some do, Optimas especially don't. That's why Optima was forced to introduce their own special charger to help recover them. A standard battery charger won't bring back an Optima that has too low of a charge.
A deeply discharged Optima won’t charge with a standard charger because they will discharge below 10.5 volts , which a standard charger recognizes as a faulty battery. You can connect a charged battery in parallel with jumper cables (pos to pos and neg to neg) and then connect a standard charger to the good battery to revive it enough to connect it by itself. Make sure you disconnect your battery from the vehicle first.