Thoughts on suspension / lift on future EV rigs

I believe it’s inevitable that EV will be a common site on the most challenging trails in the future. Just when, likely depends on the aftermarket, spare part availability and dependability. Considering how many rigs are trailered to the trailhead today range of the OHEV isn’t a deal breaker. And yes, the tow vehicle will likely be ICE powered.
A couple links here about SEMA / EV aftermarket I found interesting- esp the amount of floor space SEMA has seen increased at the show.
I included a shot of what may be new off road challenges that an OHEV can allow for us!! …. Hold my beer….
https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2022/07/gm-set-to-join-fast-growing-ev-conversion-market/

https://motorsportsnewswire.com/2022/10/20/electric-vehicles-immersed-throughout-2022-sema-show/

https://fortune.com/2022/12/25/convert-vintage-classic-muscle-cars-into-electric-vehicles-ev/amp/

30AA1D4C-C698-4FC9-9CEB-076E2873A7DE.jpeg

Reactions: srimes and Woodrow
I believe it’s inevitable that EV will be a common site on the most challenging trails in the future. Just when, likely depends on the aftermarket, spare part availability and dependability. Considering how many rigs are trailered to the trailhead today range of the OHEV isn’t a deal breaker. And yes, the tow vehicle will likely be ICE powered.
A couple links here about SEMA / EV aftermarket I found interesting- esp the amount of floor space SEMA has seen increased at the show.
I included a shot of what may be new off road challenges that an OHEV can allow for us!! …. Hold my beer….
https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2022/07/gm-set-to-join-fast-growing-ev-conversion-market/

https://motorsportsnewswire.com/2022/10/20/electric-vehicles-immersed-throughout-2022-sema-show/

https://fortune.com/2022/12/25/convert-vintage-classic-muscle-cars-into-electric-vehicles-ev/amp/

View attachment 387780

Somebody in the aftermarket is going to start selling straight axles with electric motors in place of the differential. When they do, EV conversions for TJs and such will become much more doable and we will start seeing some trail worthy EVs. If I was at a company like Dana/Spicer or maybe even smaller companies like RGA or Advance Adapters I’d being pushing to develop that product line.

Reactions: srimes
Wont do any good until battery technology improves.

Not sure about that. I do agree range IS the limiting factor for road cars and even more so for trucks (at least the ones that actually get used as trucks). For example, my wife would prefer an EV for her SUV. But since that is also our road trip car, it’s not feasible for 500+ mile days. On the other hand, my TJ gets 13mpg x 19 gals = 247miles. I get uncomfortable after 200. That kind of range isn’t too hard to get from an EV. Of our vehicles (SUV, tow rig, Mustang and TJ) the TJ is the best candidate for being an EV, at least the way I use it.

I believe it’s inevitable that EV will be a common site on the most challenging trails in the future.

Why? What leads you to believe this, or are you just echoing the headlines of the day?

Just when, likely depends on the aftermarket, spare part availability and dependability.

From one of your links, another significant hurdle.

"Indeed, conversion costs run all over the map. Some can be accomplished for as little as $8,000 to $10,000, according to experts. According to GreenCarStocks, most potential customers should expect to spend at least $18,000 — and $30,000 isn’t out of the norm. Indeed, experts caution potential customers that six-figure projects are not unusual, some more sophisticated conversions running to $250,000 and above."

Somebody in the aftermarket is going to start selling straight axles with electric motors in place of the differential. When they do, EV conversions for TJs and such will become much more doable and we will start seeing some trail worthy EVs. If I was at a company like Dana/Spicer or maybe even smaller companies like RGA or Advance Adapters I’d being pushing to develop that product line.

Traction motor setups are nothing new. While that sounds good in theory, a major problem with an electric-motor-on-axle idea is the physical size of the motor. A common 1.5 hp water pump motor is approximately 12"x8"x10". That's not enough power to move a vehicle. Here are some published dimensions for a 100 hp electric motor. It's about 2/3 the size of a small block Chevy. Definitely not going to fit under something like a Jeep TJ or other common off road vehicle.

1672422200602.png

Reactions: Woodrow
Traction motor setups are nothing new. While that sounds good in theory, a major problem with an electric-motor-on-axle idea is the physical size of the motor. A common 1.5 hp water pump motor is approximately 12"x8"x10". That's not enough power to move a vehicle. Here are some published dimensions for a 100 hp electric motor. It's about 2/3 the size of a small block Chevy. Definitely not going to fit under something like a Jeep TJ or other common off road vehicle.

View attachment 387973

Yeah, that’s big. And I’ll admit I am thinking big picture without complete knowledge of the details (important as they always are). However, I am aware of several vehicles running individual e motors at a wheel so I guessed the packaging could be figured out. Maybe?

Yeah, that’s big. And I’ll admit I am thinking big picture without complete knowledge of the details (important as they always are). However, I am aware of several vehicles running individual e motors at a wheel so I guessed the packaging could be figured out. Maybe?

I'm sure it could be, but we just aren't there yet, and I don't think we will be for many years. Too many major hurdles need to be solved individually. IDK the actual rated power needed to move a vehicle like a Jeep or SUV.

Not exactly on topic, but it is EV related. This guy has made a few EV related videos, just look through his video catalog.

Why? What leads you to believe this, or are you just echoing the headlines of the day?

From one of your links, another significant hurdle.

"Indeed, conversion costs run all over the map. Some can be accomplished for as little as $8,000 to $10,000, according to experts. According to GreenCarStocks, most potential customers should expect to spend at least $18,000 — and $30,000 isn’t out of the norm. Indeed, experts caution potential customers that six-figure projects are not unusual, some more sophisticated conversions running to $250,000 and above."

My thinking is the EV space is expanding and it’s just a matter of time before someone hacks up an EV into an off road rig and interest will grow. I’m reminded of the sand rail hobby in the 60/70s. Starting out as a VW thing - then “water pumper” chassis rigs … and what we have today -incredible machines well supported by the aftermarket. Today you can buy a turn key v8 rail or KOH capable buggy with a credit card.
My original post was asking if any aftermarket folks had seen any off road EV support / designs. (considering all the crazy - money is no object - builds that come to SEMA maybe a shop would show up with a built Rivian/ EV Jeep or big 3 conversion. Seems that didn’t happen. I have no doubt it will, as gearheads will be gearheads! It will be interesting to revisit this thread in 2033 and again in 2043.

Reactions: BlueC

View attachment 387973

What? Motors aren't the hold up, batteries are. The challenge with MOA is unsprung weight. Nobody wants solid axles due to ride quality, much less a solid axle with a motor.

Another challenge is you'd really want a transmission to get good crawling control and highway performance. Electric motors have a relatively large operating window vs gas, but it's still a window.

What? Motors aren't the hold up, batteries are. The challenge with MOA is unsprung weight. Nobody wants solid axles due to ride quality, much less a solid axle with a motor.

Another challenge is you'd really want a transmission to get good crawling control and highway performance. Electric motors have a relatively large operating window vs gas, but it's still a window.
For a 4x4 thst is solved with a reduction gearbox on the motor routed to a divorced Atlas transfer case. Reduction boxes available to the aftermarket are still kind of rare and usually designed around a specific motor package but hopefully that will eventually change. And then we can wish for two speed boxes. But none of that will probably happen without a 4x to 6x improvement in battery energy density so that we don't have to fit and build around 1,000 lbs of batteries.

For a 4x4 thst is solved with a reduction gearbox on the motor routed to a divorced Atlas transfer case. Reduction boxes available to the aftermarket are still kind of rare and usually designed around a specific motor package but hopefully that will eventually change. And then we can wish for two speed boxes. But none of that will probably happen without a 4x to 6x improvement in battery energy density so that we don't have to fit and build around 1,000 lbs of batteries.

Or 2 electric motors driving a differential gives a gear-driven CVT. Packaging that on top of an axle would be sweet.

View attachment 387973

Imagine a solid axle with this drive unit cast in.like an electric golf cart axle.No heavy ring and pinion or carrier. Probably heavier than a conventional diff but arent these tesla motors capable of 500hp?
s-l400.jpg

Lifting an ev with an axle like that would be easy.

I'm not an electric car cheerleader, but i'd drive one if it wasn't ugly,made financial sense and was fast.

I hardly ever use pneumatic or corded tools anymore. Its lithium battery cordless mostly.seems to be the way tech is going.

Reactions: srimes
Imagine a solid axle with this drive unit cast in.like an electric golf cart axle.No heavy ring and pinion or carrier. Probably heavier than a conventional diff but arent these tesla motors capable of 500hp?
View attachment 388013
Lifting an ev with an axle like that would be easy.

I'm not an electric car cheerleader, but i'd drive one if it wasn't ugly,made financial sense and was fast.

I hardly ever use pneumatic or corded tools anymore. Its lithium battery cordless mostly.seems to be the way tech is going.

How big is that, and how big would it need to be in order to move something like a Jeep on 35"-37" at reasonable speed is the real issue.

How big is that, and how big would it need to be in order to move something like a Jeep on 35"-37" at reasonable speed is the real issue.

Google it. Its a tesla drive unit. They aren't lacking in the power dept. especially compared to a 4.0l