Thoughts on this cold air intake?

I'm not looking for huge power gains. I commute to Seattle quite often and the trip is pretty much all up hill. I usually have to have the jeep in 4th gear because 5th will top out at around 45 mph. I also hate stressing the engine at 3k rpm for an hour straight. Any recommendations?
You’re doing more damage when lugging the engine. Don’t be afraid to get those revs up a bit. As previously mentioned, 3k is the sweet spot. (If equipped, don’t pay attention to that shift indicator light in the dash)

I'm running 35's with 4.56 gear ratio
With your 5-speed and 4.0L engine, you're slightly undegeared for 35's with only a 4.56. You'd be a lot better off power-wise and likely even mpg-wise with a lower ratio like 4.88. But with your hills I personally would go 5.13. No, neither of those ratios would cause the highway rpms to be too high.

I had a previous TJ running 35's, 4.0l engine and 5-speed with 4.88 gears and it was great. Since it appears you have some long steep hills in your area I would personally go with 5.13 which is a newer ratio that wasn't available when I chose 4.88.

Also, just confirming/hoping your rear axle is the optional Dana 44. The axle shafts that come in a stock Dana 35 rear axle are not strong enough for 35's.

Are used to hate mine with the 35s Jerry. However, after this tune it drives so much better, you can feel the power increase. You know I wouldn’t exaggerate either, it really made my rig so much better with the 35s. It’s not a race car by any means, but the power is felt.

Still, he needs the right gear ratio first and foremost.

With your 5-speed and 4.0L engine, you're slightly undegeared for 35's with only a 4.56. You'd be a lot better off power-wise and likely even mpg-wise with a lower ratio like 4.88. But with your hills I personally would go 5.13. No, neither of those ratios would cause the highway rpms to be too high.

I had a previous TJ running 35's, 4.0l engine and 5-speed with 4.88 gears and it was great. Since it appears you have some long steep hills in your area I would personally go with 5.13 which is a newer ratio that wasn't available when I chose 4.88.

Also, just confirming/hoping your rear axle is the optional Dana 44. The axle shafts that come in a stock Dana 35 rear axle are not strong enough for 35's.
I'm actually running with the dana 35 right now. The axles have held up pretty good actually. Its the differential that has broke on me twice already lol. The Dana 44 is too expensive for me right now. Unless there's an affordable option somewhere.

I'm actually running with the dana 35 right now. The axles have held up pretty good actually. Its the differential that has broke on me twice already lol. The Dana 44 is too expensive for me right now. Unless there's an affordable option somewhere.
With the correct lower ratio which would boost power to the axle, you're now even more likely to break an axle shaft which is very common with 35" tires. 35" tires and a Dana 35 are a notoriously bad combination.

I would upgrade the axle shafts from the factory carbon steel 27 spline diameter shafts to the larger diameter 30 spline 1541H shafts with a Super 35 kit from a good vendor like Revolution Gear. The Dana 35 has a good reputation with the Super 35 kit and 35" tires, it was tested extensively on some VERY tough rock crawling trails in Johnson Valley CA where if an axle can hold up there, it's going to hold up anywhere.

I suspect something unusual was going on to cause your differential breakages which are rare. Perhaps a bad setup on the gears or a rear lunchbox locker having been installed. Who knows but that's not common at all so long as you're running 35" or smaller tires.

Last edited:
Absolutely, if only more people would follow suit.

It's so much better to drive with this tune.
Newb question here but what all does a tune do for you? I have an 2006 Jeep 4.0 manual 6 speed and 3” lift on 35’s that I purchased last year. I can’t get this thing to go above 60 on the highway unless I have hurricane winds behind me. I assume it’s due to the gear ratio maybe but your comment made me curious.

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
Newb question here but what all does a tune do for you? I have an 2006 Jeep 4.0 manual 6 speed and 3” lift on 35’s that I purchased last year. I can’t get this thing to go above 60 on the highway unless I have hurricane winds behind me. I assume it’s due to the gear ratio maybe but your comment made me curious.
At what rpm do you typically shift into the next highest gear? You will get lots of people saying you should re-gear but I feel like with a manual you have a lot more control over engine RPM than with the auto. I have 35's also but with the rubicon 4.10 gears. 75 or 80 is easy. I never use 6th gear unless I am on the interstate.

Newb question here but what all does a tune do for you?
Results have not been reliably confirmed with a piece of equipment with proven accuracy like this. 🤫
Butt dyno.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tworley and pc1p
I came across this a few days ago:

https://trailheadoffroad.com/product/wrangler-tj-lj-cowl-intake-97-06/
It’s a cowl induction kit that works similar to the Windstar intake, except that the filter is put inside the cowl instead of the engine compartment.

Personally I would prefer a Windstar intake as it fits a larger filter, but this could be a good option for someone who needs a significant amount of space.

I doubt there is much, if any, performance benefit.

A tune won't help you too much there. Your issue is that you are probably carrying a ton of extra weight (I'm assuming you have heavy steel bumpers, armor, etc., as oppose to aluminum?) and running the wrong gears.

A tune will help you pick-up around 15 WHP by advancing timing, ignition, and throttle maps. The tune on mine made a profound difference, but it's still not going to fix the issue you're having which I suspect is largely related to running the wrong gear ratio.

Reactions: pc1p