Thoughts on this Steinjager setup

Honest question, what makes it vague? I get why inverted T would be, but this connects the drag link directly to the knuckle so there shouldn't be any tie rod roll.
Doesn't matter if the draglink rolls, that won't change the length between the connection points. It will however let the draglink smack into the tie rod as you hit bumps if they don't keep that right side rod end body turned against the flat on the knuckle.
As you said, tie rod looks pretty parallel to track bar, so bump steer should be ok. And the tie rod is pretty nicely up out of the rocks.

The concerns I have would be whether things clear as the suspension travels and how long before those (probably) low budget heims get squeaky and loose.
If someone will find the price, I can estimate the joint quality by that. There is over 200 bucks in them for quality versions.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
No, it is done that way on purpose to mitigate bumpsteer.
Yes, I noted that by mentioning it appears to put the drag link more in parallel with the track bar. Nevertheless, it is not the “correct” installation that the manufacturer intended, regardless of how bad that entire cnfiguration may actually be.

Yes, I noted that by mentioning it appears to put the drag link more in parallel with the track bar. Nevertheless, it is not the “correct” installation that the manufacturer intended, regardless of how bad that entire cnfiguration may actually be.
Looking at their sales picture and the above, it all just gets more dumb.

It is pretty stupid but if you insist on ignoring that, ask yourself why the rod ends are turned to let the bodies rest against various bits on the knuckles that are flat? The answer is to stop the links from flopping down. They are using the body of the rod end to hold them up and that is fucking stupid.

That and this is a copy of another version done exactly the same way with the same stupid results.

View attachment 317407

you always have the eye to catch those details. It escapes me how somebody can put something like that out there without considering why the factory might have given us joints that misalign. Like, do they just not think the joint is gonna move? Or do they think it'll only move one direction? Or do they think there'll be no consequences for when both joints are in contact and the link still needs to rotate some more?

I'm still wondering how the drag link and tie rod don't try to occupy the same space when the axle droops.

Reactions: tworley
I like their marketing. They say it “is a drastic upgrade from factory steering.”

It reminds me of a couple of articles I stumbled across about the TJ this weekend. Horribly written nonsense just talking about how the TJ is the best Wrangler (I do agree) but without ANY detail whatsoever as to why.

you always have the eye to catch those details.
I've built lots of steering.
It escapes me how somebody can put something like that out there without considering why the factory might have given us joints that misalign. Like, do they just not think the joint is gonna move? Or do they think it'll only move one direction? Or do they think there'll be no consequences for when both joints are in contact and the link still needs to rotate some more?

I'm still wondering how the drag link and tie rod don't try to occupy the same space when the axle droops.
Folks can learn a bunch from forensically inspecting the factory steering to see what problems they solved. Then educate yourself by sitting in front of a rig and watching the steering arms change height as it cycles from lock to lock. Or learn a smattering about steering axis inclination and why that matters.

Ignoring those lessons is what gets us piles of mechanical poo like the above.

The bigger issue is the rule about "when your only tool is a hammer, every solution is a nail". Steiny is very connected to Midwest Controls who has a lot of rod ends for sale. What steering would they build? Or, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. We already have a lot of crap steering out there, why do we need more?

It reminds me of a couple of articles I stumbled across about the TJ this weekend. Horribly written nonsense just talking about how the TJ is the best Wrangler (I do agree) but without ANY detail whatsoever as to why.
You can't say anything is the best without criteria. And depending on that, the TJ is far from the best. There are 1000 things that the TJ sucks at and only a few it is good at.

You can't say anything is the best without criteria. And depending on that, the TJ is far from the best. There are 1000 things that the TJ sucks at and only a few it is good at.

It's definitely not perfect...and my reasoning is completely subjective and specific to my own tastes. The TJ fell at a point in technological advancement where it has just the right amount of comforts and conveniences (like EFI and coil springs) without electronics too burdensome for me to deal with most things myself. Even the later TJ's started to push it; I think the peak was about 99. I also think the JK looks like what a Jeep would look like if produced by the designers at Fisher Price.

I'm in Moore

oh, cool. I grew up north of Norman about a mile east of that big brown Johnson Controls/York manufacturing plant on I-35. We moved to Edmond when I was 13; I moved away from the area after college and this summer just moved back to the OKC area for the first time since 2006.

Reactions: Ante_Up
oh, cool. I grew up north of Norman about a mile east of that big brown Johnson Controls/York manufacturing plant on I-35. We moved to Edmond when I was 13; I moved away from the area after college and this summer just moved back to the OKC area for the first time since 2006.
I was in Norman for 20+ years. Just moved to Moore recently. You go wheeling anywhere local?

It's definitely not perfect...and my reasoning is completely subjective and specific to my own tastes. The TJ fell at a point in technological advancement where it has just the right amount of comforts and conveniences (like EFI and coil springs) without electronics too burdensome for me to deal with most things myself. Even the later TJ's started to push it; I think the peak was about 99. I also think the JK looks like what a Jeep would look like if produced by the designers at Fisher Price.
My biggest gripe about the look of the JK is the grill has 0 definition to it.

I was in Norman for 20+ years. Just moved to Moore recently. You go wheeling anywhere local?

not yet unfortunately. Didn't really have the LJ ready to go until November and I've been crazy busy since then. Would like to get down to Crossbar to check it out, and up to Disney. I don't really know what else is close. Too bad really, because the area I'm building a house in (Arcadia) has great rocky terrain for it.

Reactions: Ante_Up and TRE3TOP
not yet unfortunately. Didn't really have the LJ ready to go until November and I've been crazy busy since then. Would like to get down to Crossbar to check it out, and up to Disney. I don't really know what else is close. Too bad really, because the area I'm building a house in (Arcadia) has great rocky terrain for it.
Well there's always a few guys down to go to Crossbar. Now that the weather is warming up a bit, we'll be going soon. If you're interested, you're welcome to join us.