Tie rod ends and steering

How do the bushings look on the stock control arms? Despite the low mileage, it's still a 17+ year old vehicle. The heat and dry environment are hard on those.

They appear to be fine. No movement when wiggled.

I can turn(twist) the drag link and tie rod a good 1/2”. Is that a good or bad thing?
Rotational play around the long axis is normal since they are mounted on ball joints as is required. They are on ball joints so they won't break when the axle goes up/down when driving over uneven terrain or bumps/dips on the road. It's side-to-side play that you don't want.

Getting ready to do my rod ends. Probably next Sunday. Has anyone ever done their own at home alignment? I was thinking of attempting it before I pay someone after I finish the rod ends and track bar.

Got my ride(Nora) back today from shop. No more death wobble. New Currectlynk steering, Fox steering damper, Rockkrawler track bar. Had tires balanced(again). Solid feeling but still a very slight shimmy. Not 100% satisfied. Will drive for a while and re-evaluate.

If the steering joints don't have obvious play skip right to the front uppers. Trust me, it'll make a big difference. Not suggesting you ignore play but if you can't find any I'd move on to the arms.

(sudden wobble is normally tire damage or throwing weights, the loose suspension just allows that minor damage to let things get out of control)

He is right.

I fixed one tonight with this-

4FFD6AC7-975D-4CFA-8CF0-7BD99C09E149.jpeg

Night and day difference.

Reading this thread I’m missing any careful diagnosis like Jerry said. Guessing at Death Wobble is an expensive crap shoot.

Always remember there can be a myriad of combinations of tire imbalance and component wear.

The wobble starting at a certain speed consistently makes me think tires. I would rule that out. The tires have to be dead on. Maybe even swap tires with a buddy.

A “click” is usually loose or worn linkage. But it can be a track bar mount, a cracked control arm mount or loose crossmember or even a faulty stabilizer to name a few things- diagnose, diagnose, diagnose.

Death Wobble generally happens for a reason, and barring the bizarre, it is usually identifiable and fixable.

You have to work very aware and persistent - especially if you are learning as you go.

Don’t give up- these things can drive great.

Don’t fall for generalized fixes like twin stabilzers or “grease everything” etc- if you have death wobble something is wrong- a broken tire belt, a bad rim, imbalanced tires (super common) a loose track bar, failing linkage ends, etc- if everything tests to be tight the upper front control arm bushings need to be checked for cracked rubber, loose bolts, loose fit in the mounts and cracked mounts - often they appear ok but you notice a dramatic improvement when they are replaced.

Last edited:
Getting ready to do my rod ends. Probably next Sunday. Has anyone ever done their own at home alignment? I was thinking of attempting it before I pay someone after I finish the rod ends and track bar.

We do it constantly. See the how to section.

All you need to fix it and make it great you can find here- I have.