Another LJ owner here. I have an 06 Ram 2500 diesel to tow mine. I have a 7k 18' dovetail trailer. I went with an 18' to have a storage box in front and chose the dovetail so I could unload without pulling the ramps. The LJ isn't built yet to do that but my TJ was and worked great. Usually load using ramps unless the trailer is in a position that the tail is low to the ground.

Once the LJ is built with tons and 38's I'll move up to a 20' 10k trailer with drive over fenders because the LJ width will be right at the width between current trailer's fenders. I want the extra length for a bigger storage box in front.

I think the minimum length with an LJ is 18'. Also get dual axle brakes. It's not much more money but adds more safety and less wear on your tow rig.

I too tie down to the axles using straps. Also make sure the jeep's front sway bar is connected.

Here's mine when I bought it.
View attachment 42313
Nice with matching rigs. :)

By the way, if any one needs a great deal on a great trailer, go see Travis at Reid's Triple T in Leander, TX. Fellow LJ owner/wheeler. That's where I'll be getting my next trailer. He will have a trailer customized however you like. Also sells tractors, UTVs and used vehicles.

Hello all, I'm looking for a trailer to tow my 2005 LJR. Appreciate any pics of your setups. I'm looking at 8x20 10k aluminum so i can fit a dirt bike or two also.

Reactions: Irun
My setup. I had to change a headlight bulb on the tundra before a trip lol.

It's a 16ft dovetail 7500lb wood deck and my lj fits on it pretty good. Enough so that I don't really need a longer trailer. Plus trailer prices havr gotten a bit crazy lately. The weight is nice and even on the trailer. Torque weight is kept low since this is a shorter trailer and it handles great.

One thing to keep in mind is where you will be off loading your trailer and jeep. A few friends have longer trailers and aren't as maneuverable as a shorter trailer. A couple national park trails can get tight for tow rig parking here.
20210623_202544.jpg

Hello all, I'm looking for a trailer to tow my 2005 LJR. Appreciate any pics of your setups. I'm looking at 8x20 10k aluminum so i can fit a dirt bike or two also.
Not exactly your size, but here is my 16' Aluma. Trailer weighs a little over 1,000 pounds.

20210627_110936.jpg

20210623_161411.jpg

Last edited:
I know, big bucks, but as critical as tongue weight is for safe towing I just love mine. 10 - 15% of total t

railer weight is proper for tongue weight. Equalizer hitches are nice as well.

https://www.weigh-safe.com/product/weigh-safe-drop-hitch/@
@NOTNSUV I actually bought this a year ago on amazon after seeing @Irun post a few pics and love it, used it with uhaul car trailer a few times. I want a 8x20 so I can fit 2 1940s Willys Flat fenders since I have a NH hamster trail trip planned this summer with my fellow flat fender buddy.

Reactions: NOTNSUV and Irun
Reactions: Apparition
Not aluminum but I like my 18ft carson (14ft deck 4ft dove tail). It was previously used for a drag car so it has a drop axle. It hasn't been an issue yet and the trailer tows great.
20210423_081018.jpg

I want to say it weighs roughly 2k.

Last edited:
I'm about to re-deck and re-wire my old 7500# 18' dovetail for the LJ. Used to haul the muscle car to the drags on it. Loaned it out way too many times.. we all know how that ends up.
Issue is what to treat the new wood with. Solid stain, etc.

Reactions: Ardenlonewolf
My advise would be to get a longer trailer than you think you need, everyone I know that has a 16’ wants an 18’. I personally have had ( borrowed for a couple years from my dad) a 14’ to a 16’ (borrowed from my brother for a couple years) to my 18’ ( I actually own this one). I really like it but am
seriously planning to add a 2’ dove to mine. Also the tool box up front takes up the first 1.5’ and I love having that and will not be getting rid of it.

Also if you think about it this way, say you buy a trailer that is too long, just sell
It and buy a shorter one, it’s not going to go down in value. Right now I could sell mine for more that I bought it for.

this is what I'm looking to pick up when I get home from a coast guard patrol. The used trailer market that people are asking way too much these days.

Capture.JPG

I have to pcs this summer so its time I finally get trailer to help haul all my crap around.

0712211523a_HDR.jpg

Don't have pics, but when I hauled the 97 one time, I used a 16' trailer with the TJ facing backward. Allowed the front-end weight with the engine to more squarely over the double axles (less load on the tongue). Also, with the big spare tire and bumper, not too worried about any debris hitting the front end and/or cracking the windshield.

The Taco pulled it no problem 55-60mph for a couple hours' drive.

I pull the TJ behind my 5.0l F150 on an 18’ American Manufacturing Operations (AMO) 7K steel/wood deck trailer. I have over 5k miles pulling this trailer and bought it used. It weighs roughly 2k empty. I secure the Jeep using Vulcan ratcheting Tie downs. Is it the best setup? Maybe maybe not, but it’s worked well for me.

C2122183-8D1A-42F5-AB95-65B707DA4DD2.jpeg

44D7B61C-B38F-441C-83C4-9BC9A13F0831.jpeg
2A008185-3C54-4355-8057-AA60E9842FB5.jpeg

Before I bought my F150, I tried towing the loaded trailer with my 2017 Tacoma. It was only a test run around town and it did it, but it wasn’t happy.

61A5A8F3-F5FC-4841-B11A-3CC738FB4BFB.jpeg

I pull the TJ behind my 5.0l F150 on an 18’ American Manufacturing Operations (AMO) 7K steel/wood deck trailer. I have over 5k miles pulling this trailer and bought it used. It weighs roughly 2k empty. I secure the Jeep using Vulcan ratcheting Tie downs. Is it the best setup? Maybe maybe not, but it’s worked well for me.

View attachment 313213
View attachment 313214View attachment 313215

Before I bought my F150, I tried towing the loaded trailer with my 2017 Tacoma. It was only a test run around town and it did it, but it wasn’t happy.

View attachment 313219
wierd ... my 2015 Taco had zero hesitation. It's the Limited 6' bed version- not sure if that makes a difference.

Reactions: Lax22