Tinnitus warning for my fellow Jeepers

I've had it for THIRTY-FIVE years; got it right after a bad case of the flu just before I turned 30. Ironically (or not), while I was home with the flu, there was a road crew running a wood chipper outside my house for several days...

Sometimes it is SO bad - one ear at one frequency and one at another - that I've thought about blowing the top of my head off! The only thing stopping me was the thought that I'd be reincarnated as "the only dog with tinnitus", LOL...

Good tip on the earplugs, however; already put a set in my Jeep!

I have had tinnitus for years now.NOT FUNNY. Got it from riding motorcycles all my life and working with machinery. Always ,always ringing . When I got my first jeep 4 years ago I noticed the noise right away with the soft top down or up. I now have the hardtop on and it is much better.If I go any distances I use my fitted ear plugs I bought years ago.In my shop I put plugs in right away ( lathe,mill,drill,grinder etc.)Nothing to make fun of and I am afraid funny as it may seem to some you really don't want this. I still ride my bikes and always use them. 73 years old and still enjoying bikes and jeeps.
Bruce

I have had tinnitus for years now.NOT FUNNY. Got it from riding motorcycles all my life and working with machinery. Always ,always ringing . When I got my first jeep 4 years ago I noticed the noise right away with the soft top down or up. I now have the hardtop on and it is much better.If I go any distances I use my fitted ear plugs I bought years ago.In my shop I put plugs in right away ( lathe,mill,drill,grinder etc.)Nothing to make fun of and I am afraid funny as it may seem to some you really don't want this. I still ride my bikes and always use them. 73 years old and still enjoying bikes and jeeps.
Bruce
It does suck. I've always been good about wearing double hearing protection around running aircraft... I think where I've failed is normal life stuff. Mowing the lawn, running the edger, riding motorcycles, racing cars, using air tools... I'm a fanatic about it now, have foamies & custom fitted plugs all over the place. Too little too late though. Fortunately I don't have constant tinnitus - a few times a day my left ear will just go deaf & then come back to life over a period of about 30 mins with a constant ringing, but then it goes away. Not terrible, but not great either.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Yes. If there was one single "Do Over" given to me in what's left of my life, I would wear earplugs for EVERYTHING in the least bit of a loud environment that I was exposed to - starting with when I was ~4 years old and my alcoholic parents would be screaming back & forth at each other across the dinner table, usually resulting in plates, cups, and saucers being thrown...

We never WERE able to own & keep intact a single set of dinnerware, LOL...

My Dad sure got good at plaster wall repair though!

So did I when I was only 55. It went to hell a few years after that. All of my loud noise experience was when I was much younger and in the military, it just took time to manifest itself. The VA agreed it happened while I was in Vietnam 1969-70.
I tought it would be your lungs and not your ears.

Just kidding. Vietnam veterans received no respect when returning home and that to me is one of Americas biggest disgrace to these military heroes.

Thank you and all vetrains for your service​

1*5BTPi4fXu28T-1Fo0MthrA.gif

So from a very young age, I’ve gotten my kids their own pair of EP, from bright green to pink zebra stripes.

everyone has their own pair of over the ear. Any time we are running something loud. Lawnmowers weedhackers. Especially the motorcycles.

8 years on jets. 12 in helicopters. Motorcycles and Jeeps. I have a constant drone. Trying to help the kids keep their hearing.
If they see dad doing the right thing, they will too.

Yes use ear plugs for sure, I use them for all highway trips. I have had tinnitus for years and it sucks. Caused no doubt by my exposure to some very loud noises and lots of exposure to loud military aircraft interiors many years ago.

Not to mention I now have to wear a pair of hearing aids. It sucks getting old and you young farts, your hearing is not invincible as mine turned out not to be. Abuse it and end up with tinnitus and be hard of hearing.
Here I am. 54...35+ years of wet saws, power tools, guns , loud rock music and now I have considerable, permanent high range hearing damage and bouts of tinnitus that nearly drive me crazy....and I could walk from where I'm at.

I recently offended a relative at a business...he was trying to get my attention, and I heard nothing. Felt terrible.

As if my listening skills weren't bad enough.

All I can tell you is if you don't protect your hearing, you will wish you had.

Last edited:
Wow this is a great topic I never thought about this before but being another old guy with starting to get hearing loss it makes sense and I will start wearing some or is it to late ?
I don't know if it can heal, but I know it can't if you keep damaging it. Do it.

I wear radio headphones at work...love it. You have to have workers trained where there is little talk needed..which is a must any way....and hard with today's crop of weirdos....but If they can't find tools or you are yelling at them all day something needs to change anyway.

Last edited:
At this point there's pretty much no going back; once those tiny hairs are damaged, they're gone Baby GONE! I keep hoping that someday in my lifetime that they'll figger out a way to either transplant or stimulate the regrowth of those hairs; I'd even take a few "strays" up on top too!

At this point there's pretty much no going back; once those tiny hairs are damaged, they're gone Baby GONE! I keep hoping that someday in my lifetime that they'll figger out a way to either transplant or stimulate the regrowth of those hairs; I'd even take a few "strays" up on top too!
I'm trying a combover. It's sexy.

As a drummer, construction worker, and someone who rides down the interstate with doors off and top down... I really need to pay more attention to this! I'm going to start wearing hearing protection with the top down or doors off. Glad this was brought up!

100's of concerts. Maybe 1/4 with earplugs. The rest without.

Permeant, noticeable tinnitus 24/7 since my late 30's.

Sucks.

• Sad
Reactions: Tob
I had 6 months of chroninic tinitus after shooting guns in a range without hearing protection (approx 150 decibels). I was sure I was going to have to end my life within 2 days of this occuring, however somehow I learned to live with it. It eventually went away 95% over about 6 months..... I still have it 12 years later in the quiet of night. Scariest thing that has ever happened to me. One loud sound is all it takes.

Another event that almost blew my hearing was standing next to a drag car at a car show, he revved the crap out of it stationary..... I was 20 feet away, there were young kids less than 10 feet, they would have had permanent hearing damage for sure. Ear plugs ALWAYS!

So did I when I was only 55. It went to hell a few years after that. All of my loud noise experience was when I was much younger and in the military, it just took time to manifest itself. The VA agreed it happened while I was in Vietnam 1969-70 and gave me a pair of really expensive blue-tooth enabled hearing aids. They do make things louder but I still have trouble understanding some of what is said.
That's the same place and time that it happened to me too.

I've definitely considered using foam earplugs on road trips before. Something to dampen noise that I can still hear the radio through. I'll have to give it a shot next time. My hearing is already bad enough, thanks for the warning and DB reading. I've jokingly talked about a headset intercom system before, but I think I need two more cylinders and a much more built rig before I go that far, even though I could pretend to be a pilot every day on my way to work!
This is how my wife and I ride in our Side by Side, voice activated intercom system and we can talk on our GMRS radio at the same time. So great not saying "WHAT?" all the time. So nice and quiet and just a crisp clear voice when we talk to each other.
It does kinda make me feel like a pilot. I always tell my wife once we get our headsets on and about ready to go..."This is your pilot speaking, fasten your seat belt and enjoy the flight ". :)

IMG_20210101_151603623_HDR.jpg

Last edited: