Tips or suggestions on running 33s successfully?

Stretch

TJ Enthusiast
Hi all,
Just picked up a stock 2004 TJ RME. Thinking of the Rancho 2.5 Sport lift with Bilstein 5100. Planning to run 33x10.5 on the stock Alcoa rims. Any thoughts or recommendations on the Rancho lift, choice of shock or what else I will need to do to make running the 33x10.5 a success?
It will be my DD with mostly road and some fire road. Not going to do any rock crawling etc. Live in Calgary, AB where we get tonnes of snow in the winter.
Cheers,

G
1FE52BC2-0DDC-4469-8D15-5581C66C91FC.JPG

First off welcome to the forum and that is a nice looking jeep.

Save some money and go with the Rancho rs5000x shocks. I ran the Bilstein 5100's and on washboard roads they are awful.

If I were you I would get this kit https://dpgoffroad.com/product/old-man-emu-ultimate-tjlj-wrangler-kit/

Also, if you give them a call you can get it customized a bit. I would:
1. swap out the ome nitro sports for Rancho RS5000x (for a 2.5 inch lift) should make it cheaper
2. Stick with the MML that comes with the kit and not the upgraded brown dog. (lowers your chances of any vibrations)
3. lose the rear adjustable track bar
4. Add a jks track bar relocation bracket. ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TTZSQS/?tag=wranglerorg-20 )

If you don't care for the body lift you could lose that as well but you will need to modify the fan shroud after the Motor mount lift.

Add a MML and BL with that Rancho lift and ditch the Bilsteins for Rancho RS5000X shocks. You'll need to add some bump stops to clear the 33's. The BL will help with that. The MML will help with drive line vibes.

Reactions: oldjeepman
First off welcome to the forum and that is a nice looking jeep.

Save some money and go with the Rancho rs5000x shocks. I ran the Bilstein 5100's and on washboard roads they are awful.

If I were you I would get this kit https://dpgoffroad.com/product/old-man-emu-ultimate-tjlj-wrangler-kit/

Also, if you give them a call you can get it customized a bit. I would:
1. swap out the ome nitro sports for Rancho RS5000x (for a 2.5 inch lift) should make it cheaper
2. Stick with the MML that comes with the kit and not the upgraded brown dog. (lowers your chances of any vibrations)
3. lose the rear adjustable track bar
4. Add a jks track bar relocation bracket. ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TTZSQS/?tag=wranglerorg-20 )

If you don't care for the body lift you could lose that as well but you will need to modify the fan shroud after the Motor mount lift.
Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Alex01
Add a MML and BL with that Rancho lift and ditch the Bilsteins for Rancho RS5000X shocks. You'll need to add some bump stops to clear the 33's. The BL will help with that. The MML will help with drive line vibes.
Thanks for the help!

Good posts. Nice Rig too.

Bilsteins don't belong on TJ's for the most part . There may be some combination of lift they work on , but mine were harsh .

That OME kit would set you up really nice and likely keep you from needing a transfer case drop. I also suggest the 5000x shocks. I have them and my wife prefers the ride of the Jeep over both my truck with bilsteins and my dad's stock 85 Jimmy.

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone! Research is definitely piling up against the Bilsteins... haven't seen one person say what a joy they are to ride on.

I replaced some used rough country shocks with some used adjustable rancho shocks. I replaced those with new bilstein 5100s and the ride got a lot better. Now that I'm seeing so much about the 5000x shocks I'm interested to see how they ride too.

Another vote against the 5100s. Bilstein makes great shocks, just not for a daily use TJ. I guess the goto shock now is the Rancho 5000x. It used to be the Old Man Emu gas nitro-charger shock.

As others have mentioned, the OME 2.5” lift is a pretty nice setup still. To successfully run 33 x 10.5” along with the 2.5” lift you’ll need a 1” body lift and at least 1” less back spacing then a stock wheel. I run this exact setup and it works good on and off road.

Aim for 3.5-4” of overall lift. A suspension + body lift is ideal. Everything in my Profile is ideal setup for 33’s.

It's real hard to beat a 3" suspension lift combined with a 1-1.25" body lift for 33" tires. 4" additional clearance is ideal for 33's. Zone has a nice 3"+1.25" combo kit.

Also, gettting back to the original question, correct GEARS are important to running 33” tires successfully. It’s not a mod or a hop up, it’s restoring the vehicles ability to get the power to the ground as designed.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Also, gettting back to the original question, correct GEARS are important to running 33” tires successfully. It’s not a mod or a hop up, it’s restoring the vehicles ability to get the power to the ground as designed.
Very well said.

Reactions: AndyG